Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
HunsingerUK
HunsingerUK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best ebook reader for comic books. .cbr files

I've been trying to figure out which one to buy for a long time. I've looked at the sony s and have researched the kindle and kindle 2 but until today when I found these forums, I had no idea that it was possible to have .cbr files converted so that I'd be able to read my comic books on an ebook reader.

Therefore I was wondering which one you think is the best, for comic books. I also plan on using my library of pdfs to read(I do understand I'll have to convert these, and thats no problem as I'm a techie)

I am looking at the sony prs-505 and the kindle 2

questions: sony is 8 gray scale levels and k2 16. is this a huge difference?

thanks
HunsingerUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunsingerUK View Post
Therefore I was wondering which one you think is the best, for comic books. I also plan on using my library of pdfs to read(I do understand I'll have to convert these, and thats no problem as I'm a techie)

I am looking at the sony prs-505 and the kindle 2
Well, as far as I know, there is no device that natively reads CBR files. But IIRC they're just a bunch of JPEGs crammed into a ZIP container, so you should have little difficulty, as (to my knowledge) every reader should read JPEG.
But considering that you want to use pictures and PDF, I think you would be better off with a screen bigger than 6 inches. Did you consider the iRex Digital Reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunsingerUK View Post
questions: sony is 8 gray scale levels and k2 16. is this a huge difference
That depends on how detailed the comics you want to read are. I totally lack experience, but I think 8 levels should be fine for most comics (I've tested a few pictures on my 4 graylevel Cybook, and, although some detail was missing, it worked great.).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
It all seems to hinge on color really. And there's no color readers, but, I've viewed Trigun on a couple of readers, and I dug up these reviews I used when hunting for my just purchased reader, I currently view comics on my UMPC and find that perfecty satisfying.

Here are the links:

http://ebooktest.blogspot.com/2008/1...or-iphone.html

http://www.teleread.org/2006/09/29/m...ader-a-review/

http://www.teleread.org/2008/07/27/t...three-shadows/

http://www.teleread.org/2008/07/15/f...ell-in-august/

(I have to say, if that Fujitsu reader makes an appearance I'd be tempted, love their computers)

I know its not much, but maybe it can help a little. Good luck!
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
I would suggest buying a 8.9" Acer Aspire one or any other cheap 9-10" netbook. Ebook readers are no good for graphic novels/comic books. Even if you uncompressed the .cbr to jpg files you would still battle with the lack of folder support on ereaders.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
I would suggest buying a 8.9" Acer Aspire one or any other cheap 9-10" netbook. Ebook readers are no good for graphic novels/comic books. Even if you uncompressed the .cbr to jpg files you would still battle with the lack of folder support on ereaders.
Hmm. I'm not sure I totally agree. I have a comic book on the Jetbook and its actually very crisp, readable and looks pretty good. Not color of course...
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
Hmm. I'm not sure I totally agree. I have a comic book on the Jetbook and its actually very crisp, readable and looks pretty good. Not color of course...
Any image will of course look crisp and you could read some pdf comics without any problem but for people who are used to reading .cbr files, uncompressing them to a folder of jpgs will leave you with headaches on most ebook readers. if you read one book at a time you are ok but due to crappy folder support your jpgs will be scattered if you add more than one folder of images.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
Any image will of course look crisp and you could read some pdf comics without any problem but for people who are used to reading .cbr files, uncompressing them to a folder of jpgs will leave you with headaches on most ebook readers. if you read one book at a time you are ok but due to crappy folder support your jpgs will be scattered if you add more than one folder of images.
But why would you even do that? There's no need to uncompress the jpg's and load those onto the reader. You can use calibre to convert the .cbr to .lrf and call it good. No need for folders, no need for a netbook.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
I got a cool app for iphone called mycomics. Has a virtual bookshelf with all my comics on them. I just dropped my cbz file on the loader and it loaded it right up.

the iPhone is really cool for comics actually because its color and you can zoom in and really see things well. I have several loaded on my iphone.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
yw214
yw214 began at the beginning.

BeBook (HanLin book) claims that they support zip and rar format, Does this mean we can read comic books in zip and rar format without unzip the images?
yw214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As far as images go, I'd go with Sony. It supports 8 native shades and does very nice dithering to appear to show more shades.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yw214 View Post
BeBook (HanLin book) claims that they support zip and rar format, Does this mean we can read comic books in zip and rar format without unzip the images?
Yes you can but they don't currently support bookmarks or keep your place if you exit the application. Reading works fine. I have a request in to Hanlin to support cbr and cbz natively with the above features and a few more.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Sparhawk2k
Sparhawk2k is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong on this but I think the cbz and cbr are LITERALLY just zip and rar files renamed so if something does support zips and rars it should work. And if there are issues I think you can just rename it.

Personally, I've been using my OLPC XO-1 for comics. I like having a color screen for the art. I'm sure it would be readable otherwise but I feel like I'd be missing a portion of the experience.
Sparhawk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
herbalist
Enthusiast
herbalist began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770, Irex Iliad
IMHO, the iliad does the job perfectly. You just need to convert your files using JE-Comics Converter and voila! It is almost as good as a tankubon.
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
Long Con
Long Con began at the beginning.

Hi, I just found this thread while searching for info on comic books, .cbr files, and e-readers...

Is there any update on this topic since April?

Can any e-readers read .cbr files? Are there e-readers in colour now?

Which e-reader should I get for Christmas in order to mainly read comic books?
Long Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
No dedicated eReaders are in color yet however some are now 8 or 16 levels of gray so they can render fairly well. No dedicated readers advertize CBR or CBZ support although since these are really just RAR or zip archives some can read them if the extension is renamed although they will treat them as a collection of images, not a book. CBZ can be converted to eBook formats with a program called Calibre (see the section of this forum). I would expect that cbr and cbz are on the horizon for the near future. Ask again this time next year

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote