Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I've joined the ranks of those waiting for repairs.

Yep. 30 minutes ago my Power button collapsed upon clicking it to turn off. It's now OFF and the power button won't work - it's stuck DOWN. And theres a very, very faint rattle.

I'm not competent enough to really go in and do major repairs, but I discovered when trying to see if I could just 'pop-off' the rear cover, that the screw holding on the battery cover and the visible screw inside the battery compartment aren't the only ones. And I'm loathe to mess with uncovering the rubber from off the others.

BTW, is everyone's battery glued down? Mine was.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Derek .

There's a screw under the sticky label with the serial number, etc, on it; you can feel it through the label. Near the left side of the label. It's pretty normal to put screws under labels so that the manufacturer can tell if you've been messing with the inside of the machine.

Very best of luck in getting a replacement; you of all people deserve one rapidly!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Ouch indeed. I hope you'll get a replacement quickly, Derek!
SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySchwab View Post
Ouch indeed. I hope you'll get a replacement quickly, Derek!

I'm sure I brought it on myself when I dropped it a few months ago. At the time, the only thing that happened was a column of dead pixels appeared on the screen. But I'm sure that I probably weakened something and after all this use, that something, which made the button work, just failed.

Sad really... I was right in the middle of a Kasey Michaels mystery story. And I loathe the Sony PRS-500 after all these months of having a Vizplex unit.

Derek
Old 01-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I can't wait to see if they bother to reply to you at all. I am so extremely unimpressed with their customer service.

Sorry about your broken cybook.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
I can't wait to see if they bother to reply to you at all. I am so extremely unimpressed with their customer service.

If it happens, it will happen soon because they really want to get the engineering samples back for examination and they want us to have at least one of the units that has been pre-packaged the way it will be sold through NAEB. I guess I get my NAEB softcover case after all.

Derek
Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post

And I think that part of the problem is, well, the holidays and, well, the 800-pound gorilla called 'backordered'. I mean, Sony's backordered, Amazon's backordered and Bookeen's backordered on their units, which means if the problem isn't software-related or cannot be fixed with a few simple parts/adjustments, there are no swap-out units with which to exchange. And that last really can't be laid to Bookeen as it's pretty much PVI's fault for not producing enough eInk displays.

Derek
Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
And that last really can't be laid to Bookeen as it's pretty much PVI's fault for not producing enough eInk displays.
I'm not sure that "fault" is the right word to use . I'm sure that any manufacturer would LOVE to have the "problem" of being able to sell every unit that they can make!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Just a quick update.

So I sent out the Cybook via FedEx on Saturday morning. It arrived in Memphis Tennessee by Sunday evening. By Monday evening it was in the Paris FedEx center. (Mind you, this was sent out via FedEx International Priority!) Today, it went out on the delivery truck. It had to go about three miles. As of 1:48PM, France time, it arrived at Bookeen, only to find the freaking place closed!!!

I despair, I simply despair.

Derek
Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
ggendel
Connoisseur
ggendel is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook 3
Caught with the 4 day work week or was there something else that had them closed?
ggendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
Caught with the 4 day work week or was there something else that had them closed?
Who knows??? *I* live in California-where, despite constant rumors to the contrary, most of us are workaholics who can't bear to not work at least 50+ hours per week.

Oh well, at least my X51V hasn't dropped dead on me yet. But I'm going crazy 'reading' the small screen!

Derek
Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not read on the 500?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not read on the 500?

Ha! Yeah, right! As *IF* I'd take my life into my hands by attempting to pry it from my mother's grasp! She's right smack dab in the middle of "On Basilisk Station" and she doesn't react well to giving up books she's interested in!

IOW, I'm a coward!

Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 01-08-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

AAAaaaaannnndddd....

It's been six whole days, three of which have the dead Cybook in the hands of Bookeen... I've yet to receive my new one or hear back when they expect to ship...

Derek
Old 01-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess would be the sometime around end of the month. Now is not a good time to be waiting for a replacement unit due to screen shortages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote