Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Coolreader Epub support: CSS and hyphenation

On my M92 (with Firmware 1.6), I love Cool Reader's ability to split the screen into two pages when reading Epubs in horizontal mode. But Cool Reader doesn't handle (German) hyphenation correctly (e.g. FPReader does!). And Cool Reader seems to ignore the stylesheets that come with an Epub.

This is the Epub I'm reading at the moment: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42471
Here, the chapter headings (<h3>-tags) are not styled at all in Cool Reader, even though I tried to change the style in the included Epubs in many ways. Especially, Cool Reader ignores "page-break-before: always;".

And hyphenation is bogus - that means that Cool Reader inserts hyphens randomly, e.g. "seinesgle-ichen", "Leh-nstuhl", "allaben-dlich", "Marqu-is", "Höflichke-it". Strangely enough some hyphens are placed correctly - though I don't know if on purpose. Anyway, in FBReader I checked more than 50 pages and couldn't find a single wrong hyphenation, especially not in those words cited above.

What's the reason for this? How is hyphenation handled in FBReader? Why does it ignore CSS? Has it been fixed already for 1.7?

Last edited by tuxor; 03-20-2012 at 06:11 AM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Strangely enough, the hyphenation patterns are hardcoded to English and Russian: https://github.com/onyx-intl/boox-op...rc/hyphman.cpp and https://github.com/onyx-intl/boox-op...lude/hyphman.h - even though the hyphenation patterns for German actually exist in the git repository: https://github.com/onyx-intl/boox-op...onyx/data/hyph

Why did they do that? Is it possible to use German hyphenation without recompiling Cool Reader? When recompiling Cool Reader with German hyphenation patterns will I lose support for English hyphenation?

I added a point to our wishlist in the wiki concerning hyphenation in Cool Reader

The problem about ignoring *css-files can be solved by placing the file from https://github.com/onyx-intl/boox-op.../data/epub.css in the directory "cr3" in the internal storage.

Last edited by tuxor; 03-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
nice work finding the fix for the css issue
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
tuxor
Addict

Thanks.

At least, I was able to disable hyphenation: simply edit the "epub.css" (from the last paragraph of my post #2) by changing the first line as follows:

Code:
body { text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; hyphenate: none; }
EDIT: see next post

Last edited by tuxor; 03-20-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
tuxor
Addict

Ok, that's the solution: You take your desired hyphenation file from https://github.com/onyx-intl/boox-op...onyx/data/hyph, place it in (newly created) folder /usr/share/cr3/hyph on your M92 and rename it to "Russian_EnUS_hyphen_(Alan).pdb". You might need ssh or serial connection to your M92 for this.

Unfortunately this solution needs some know-how. Would appreciate if somebody could give an easier solution, so that board members with less computer expertise can make use of this solution as well

(Make sure hyphenation is not disabled like explained in #4!)
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
...added info and links to Software and Tweaks wiki (hinthint )

@tuxor: thx for contributing to the wishlist wiki

Cheers.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
tuxor
Addict

Hm, my "workaround" is not really a workaround. Coolreader does use the "epub.css" file described above. But it still ignores any CSS-directives inside the Epub file.. Is this intended?

Code:
<h1 style="text-align:center;">Test<br />heading<br />just for fun</h1>
This will display as something like this:

Code:
                         Test
heading
just for fun
And if I remove "text-align:center;", nothing changes! What's wrong here?!

EDIT: Forget about what I wrote after that, I found out, text-transform, :first-letter etc. are not part of the Epub specification.

Last edited by tuxor; 03-27-2012 at 09:50 AM.