Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Automatic Sync for KFire?

I may be confused on this, but I thought that (similar to our K3 and K4 devices) the Kindle Fire was supposed to automatically sync and check for new items immediately after the WiFi is turned on.

Right now, I'm finding that each time I turn my WiFi back on, I'm having to go into the Quick Settings to perform a manual sync in order to receive new items that I've sent to my Fire.

Did I misunderstand that feature for the Fire? If not, does anyone know how I can get mine to sync automatically?

Thanks in advance.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Amazon might have stated that it was automatic, but I have found that syncing on all of my Kindles (E Inks, KFire, apps) is not always automatic. Or more appropriately, it is not always quick to sync. With the E Inks and the KFire you should exit the book to the Home screen before putting the Kindle into sleep mode, otherwise it might not sync. I also make a habit of manually syncing just to make sure it does. I think that if left alone and with enough elapsed time they will sync automatically, but Kindle time is not always in tune with our time frame.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Amazon might have stated that it was automatic, but I have found that Whispersync with all my Kindles (E Inks, KFire, apps) is not always automatic. Or more appropriately, it is not always quick to sync. With the E Inks and the KFire you should exit the book to the Home screen before putting the Kindle into sleep mode, otherwise it might not sync. I also make a habit of manually syncing just to make sure it does. I think that if left alone and with enough lapsed time they will sync automatically, but Kindle time is not always in tune with our time frame.
Maybe I'm just being too impatient?

My K3 and K4 really do sync immediately whenever I turn the WiFi back on, so I guess I've gotten used to that.

With the KFire, except for that first software update to 6.1, I've yet to see it check for items automatically; but, again, maybe I'm just not giving it enough time to do it.

Now, if I already have the WiFi on and I buy something from the Amazon Appstore, that will come through right away; there just seems to be a big [to me] delay in receiving things if the WiFi had been off and I'm just now turning it back on...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Maybe I'm just being too impatient?

My K3 and K4 really do sync immediately whenever I turn the WiFi back on, so I guess I've gotten used to that.

With the KFire, except for that first software update to 6.1, I've yet to see it check for items automatically; but, again, maybe I'm just not giving it enough time to do it.

Now, if I already have the WiFi on and I buy something from the Amazon Appstore, that will come through right away; there just seems to be a big [to me] delay in receiving things if the WiFi had been off and I'm just now turning it back on...

It can be frustrating. Come to think of it I've noticed that syncing seems slower to occur on my Kindle for iPad and Android apps. On both I usually just press the sync icon manually as I know they will take forever to sync automatically, if they sync at all. On my E Inks it is a bit better, though sometimes I get impatient and manually sync. So maybe this is a syncing limitation with iOS and Android that Amazon needs to resolve, but that is just a guess.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Amazon might have stated that it was automatic, but I have found that syncing on all of my Kindles (E Inks, KFire, apps) is not always automatic. Or more appropriately, it is not always quick to sync. With the E Inks and the KFire you should exit the book to the Home screen before putting the Kindle into sleep mode, otherwise it might not sync. I also make a habit of manually syncing just to make sure it does. I think that if left alone and with enough elapsed time they will sync automatically, but Kindle time is not always in tune with our time frame.
Same here, also with "delivering books" not always as snappy as other times. Also I've got one book somehow stuck in a "to be delivered (to my Droid X)" that will not seem to clear. I have not checked with Amazon about it but will at some point.

Also maybe some one else has seen this. I thought that I could SET the farthest read location on either my Kindle2 or Kindle App, but I'm not seeing that on the Kindle Fire app. One of my books (collected short stories of Faulkner) has a furthest read location of one of the appendices which prevents me from keeping my readers in sync.

I guess even a way to "Clear" the furthest read would do to get them back in sync.

Anyone know about this or how to fix it? I scanned the FAQs on Amazon and didn't readily find anything.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-20-2011 at 12:56 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Same here, also with "delivering books" not always as snappy as other times. Also I've got one book somehow stuck in a "to be delivered (to my Droid X)" that will not seem to clear. I have not checked with Amazon about it but will at some point.

Also maybe some one else has seen this. I thought that I could SET the farthest read location on either my Kindle2 or Kindle App, but I'm not seeing that on the Kindle Fire app. One of my books (collected short stories of Faulkner) has a furthest read location of one of the appendices which prevents me from keeping my readers in sync.

I guess even a way to "Clear" the furthest read would do to get them back in sync.

Anyone know about this or how to fix it? I scanned the FAQs on Amazon and didn't readily find anything.
My MYK web still has the to be delivered message on one book too, even though it was actually delivered and read months ago.

I seem to recall a thread a while back on how to reset the furthest page read, but it seemed rather involved as I recall. I wish Amazon would allow you to sync current page being read as that makes much more sense. In my case, I sometimes jump ahead in a book to see something, but if you do then furthest page read is further into the book than the actual page you are currently on.

EDIT: I found this way to reset it listed in this website, but it is convoluted and time consuming.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-20-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jack, someone responded to my query on Amazon with more-or-less the same suggestion which I just tried and it worked. The one thing I had to do though was "Force Stop" the Kindle app on my DroidX (which was the farthest one along - in the Appendix) and then move it to where I wanted to be and was then able to sync my other devices properly.

Here's the steps:

1. On the Manage Your Kindle page- Turn OFF synchronization
2. Wait about 30 seconda, then with the device synched to the appendix page- go to the page you really want it to be.
3. Sync to the furthest page on that device. If it tells you that you're on the furthest location, you're good to go.
4. If not, select Cancel on the sync message and try steps 2 & 3 again. I would say 90% of the time it works the first time. When it doesn't, it has always worked the second time. Maybe some sort of delay in Amazon changing the synchronization command?
5. On the Manage Your Kindle page- Turn synchronization back ON and all your devices should be synched to the page you want.

It is here on the Kindle Forum: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-fo...x2LIPUL90MO66R
Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm glad it works, but that is too time consuming plus I heard that it might not work correctly with all devices. I think Amazon needs to address this with an option to either Sync to Furthest Page Read or Set Current Location to Furthest Page Read.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
kennyc

I agree completely and told Amazon that today.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Place a bookmark where you want to start reading again. Then sync each device before and after you start using that device. Clear old bookmarks after setting the current bookmark. Only use highlights and notes for other locations.

The Fire works perfectly that way. I've been doing that with my 3rd Gen Kbd and my Kindle4PC app and they all work fine.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I agree completely and told Amazon that today.
Be sure to use the feedback app on the Fire to tell them as well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
I'm glad it works, but that is too time consuming plus I heard that it might not work correctly with all devices. I think Amazon needs to address this with an option to either Sync to Furthest Page Read or Set Current Location to Furthest Page Read.
You could call Amazon kindle support and they will reset the furthest page read back to the beginning. I had to do that once.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
kennyc

Yes they did that too!!! After I'd gone through that outrageous process of fixing it myself!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
I have to manually press the sync button to get items "delivered" from amazon.com to my Fire. I basically figured that out on my own, but it was really frustrating because it says on the amazon.com page that items will be delivered when the wireless is turned on and the "Kindle app" is turned on. But that hasn't been true for me -- I turn on the wireless and go open a book, but nothing. It takes pressing the "sync" button to get anything purchased on the computer to download to the Fire.
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
I have to manually press the sync button to get items "delivered" from amazon.com to my Fire. I basically figured that out on my own, but it was really frustrating because it says on the amazon.com page that items will be delivered when the wireless is turned on and the "Kindle app" is turned on. But that hasn't been true for me -- I turn on the wireless and go open a book, but nothing. It takes pressing the "sync" button to get anything purchased on the computer to download to the Fire.
Yeah, me too. I'm hoping it's just a glitch that'll get worked out in a future software update.

Best bet, I think, is to use the Help/Feedback app to let them know what's happening, so they know we're having a problem and can get to work on fixing it.