Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #46
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Mine connects to Calibre just fine.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #47
Sher0808
Sher0808
Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
I just installed the new FW. No problems so far, except that it won't connect to Calibre anymore. Not a big surprise, just thought I'd mention it.
I have only had my Kobo for a couple of weeks and never have been able to hook up with Calibre.
Sher0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #48
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I think a plugin may have been the problem. I remembered that I'd put one on a couple of days ago, so I removed it and now my KT connects. So, either that or it just needed to be disconnected and reconnected a couple of times.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #49
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Odd. I notice no difference in terms of speed and performance between a short novel like The Man Who Knew Too Much (139 pages) and a monster like War and Peace (1700+ pages). Each loads from the home page in about two-seconds, and page turn speed is identical near as I can tell. This is using freely available DRM free epubs.
I bought a Kepub called Unix Power Tools from the store. I get the spinning wheel all the time to signify loading whenever I turn the pages. Taking what you said into account, maybe it really is a ebook file issue. Is War and Peace divided into a lot of tiny sections in the file itself? Ie. you only get the number of pages for the sections and not the whole book when you flip through.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
I bought a Kepub called Unix Power Tools from the store. I get the spinning wheel all the time to signify loading whenever I turn the pages. Taking what you said into account, maybe it really is a ebook file issue. Is War and Peace divided into a lot of tiny sections in the file itself? Ie. you only get the number of pages for the sections and not the whole book when you flip through.
It is up to the book's creator and/or software they use to create the book. It is not uncommon to see separate files for each chapter. And large chapters might be divided into multiple files. If you notice that paging ahead is going normal speed inside a chapter then it slows way down as you page to the first page of the next chapter, that is a good indication that a new HTML file had to be loaded.

What many here call footnotes are actually endnotes in most cases, as footnotes are not really feasible with reflowable material without some sort of rendering mechanism and that is currently not available. So the notes are generally placed in another HTML file or at the end of the HTML file if only one exists. If they are in another file, then accessing them from the reference link is going to take time as the notes HTML file has to be loaded.
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #51
rrrevin
rrrevin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
I spoke too soon. After I connected with USB, old books started showing up on my Home page again. Then, when I wasn't looking, my KT did a spontaneous factory reset! Fortunately, I was prepared for this -- all my books are on SD. (Today was the first time I tried using Kobo Desktop for Linux -- could that have made a difference?)

This is pretty painful. Say what you will about paper books; at least they don't do spontaneous factory resets.

Kobo devs: any ideas what happened here?

(edit)

It didn't do a factory reset by itself, but it was in a state where it couldn't read or even see any books, only demo features of the device. Nevertheless, KD4L said it was running 1.9.8, and when I unplugged it, it asked me to do a factory reset, which I did, as it wasn't much good otherwise.
Same thing here. After installing 1.9.8 it went through the Factory Reset questions.. but big bonus is that my books were still loaded. Strange.
rrrevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #52
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrevin View Post
Same thing here. After installing 1.9.8 it went through the Factory Reset questions.. but big bonus is that my books were still loaded. Strange.
Are your books on a SD card? A factory reset does not delete the books on a SD card.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #53
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
Is War and Peace divided into a lot of tiny sections in the file itself? Ie. you only get the number of pages for the sections and not the whole book when you flip through.
I have no idea. I downloaded it from here, so you can check it out for yourself:

http://www.epubbooks.com/book/117/war-and-peace
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #54
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
May have spoken too soon about the non-responsiveness to page turn taps... Later in the day after going 1.9.7 -> 1.9.8(must've been Wed) I was having frequent problems in turning pages, having to double tap, AND in the settings getting it to respond to the back arrow... but yesterday it was behaving just fine as it did on the few days that I had 1.9.7 on it...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #55
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
I agree that overall screen responsiveness is good. There still appears to be a horizontal dead band along the bottom of my screen however. Other's have mentioned this elswhere in the forum. I find it annoying while holding the bottom of the device in one hand, and using my thumb to turn the page. I find I have to reach a little to get past the dead band to ensure a successful page turn. I keep hoping that this will be fixed with each update...so far, not so good. Does anybody else still have this problem?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #56
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I agree that overall screen responsiveness is good. There still appears to be a horizontal dead band along the bottom of my screen however. Other's have mentioned this elswhere in the forum. I find it annoying while holding the bottom of the device in one hand, and using my thumb to turn the page. I find I have to reach a little to get past the dead band to ensure a successful page turn. I keep hoping that this will be fixed with each update...so far, not so good. Does anybody else still have this problem?
Yes, this problem still exists. If anyone wants to test how bad this can get, go to the Store and search for George RR Martin. The right arrow icon at the bottom of the page, used to navigate forward through the 1,458 pages, is almost totally unresponsive on my Touch.

ETA: The most annoying aspect of this issue is the variability of the responsiveness. Sometimes it is nearly normal but at other times it is almost totally non-responsive using a finger. I have discovered that when my Touch is unresponsive to a finger tap it will almost always respond to a tap using a stylus.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-29-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #57
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Under 1.9.8, even after three factory resets and the deletion of calibre database files from both my Kobo Touch internal memory and my SD card, my Home screen is still "stuck" on certain books and does not update properly with the latest books I'm reading.

My wife and I bought our KTs at the same store on the same day, and they're both running 1.9.8, but hers does not have this problem.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #58
Joe563

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
Under 1.9.8, even after three factory resets and the deletion of calibre database files from both my Kobo Touch internal memory and my SD card, my Home screen is still "stuck" on certain books and does not update properly with the latest books I'm reading.

My wife and I bought our KTs at the same store on the same day, and they're both running 1.9.8, but hers does not have this problem.
This is a known problem where a SD card is used. You may have noticed that when you power-on your reader the correct Home screen is briefly shown and then is quickly replaced with a Home screen showing books from your SD card. I hear that this problem is expected to be fixed in the firmware release.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #59
vaeditor
vaeditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Okay, so I heard about the new 1.9.8 update and want to get it, but when I launch my Kobo desktop app, it doesn't tell me that there's an update, and there's no way to download it. I know I can do this directly with my KT via the wireless connection, but it would be nice to have a "Check for Touch updates" option on the desktop software for those times when, for some reason, I don't have access to a wireless connection.
vaeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #60
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaeditor View Post
Okay, so I heard about the new 1.9.8 update and want to get it, but when I launch my Kobo desktop app, it doesn't tell me that there's an update, and there's no way to download it. I know I can do this directly with my KT via the wireless connection, but it would be nice to have a "Check for Touch updates" option on the desktop software for those times when, for some reason, I don't have access to a wireless connection.
Actually, if you sync your Kobo wirelessly, it should find the update, download it and do the install. The firmware is now up to 1.9.9.

Good luck.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote