Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Thumbs up UltraFXP now freeware! It is a great FTP client

If you need a good ftp client, you should give UltraFXP a try:
http://www.ultrafxp.com/en/download.htm (English)
http://www.ultrafxp.com/de/download.htm (German)

Notice that the makers of UltraFXP were legally threatened by the makers of FlashFXP, and hence the decision to make UltraFXP freeware. The funny thing is, FlashFXP argued that UltraFXP copied its interface. I don't know, but to me most FTP clients look more or less the same (they have two windows, with one window displaying your local browser, and the other the remote server). Oh well, you can read more about it here:

http://www.ultrafxp.com/en/order.htm
and here
http://forum.ultrafxp.com/index.php?showtopic=933

Edit: I've attached the chat log and the email, in case it gets erased by someone...sorry, but the whole thing just ****es me off! Just look how the lawyer first threatens this kid, and afterwards tries to seduce him to join his client's company ("I'm not suggesting you drop UFXP altogether... I suggest you work with FFXP on making it a better product and get paid that way...") YUCK!

Morpheus
Attached Files
File Type: txt mail.txt (7.4 KB, 595 views)
File Type: txt irc_chat.txt (6.2 KB, 505 views)

Last edited by Morpheus; 03-27-2004 at 11:18 PM.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I haven't tried UltraFXP, but another fine ftp client that is free for personal use is SmartFTP. I've been using it for several months and have really enjoyed it.

But as you say Morpheus, this is a bizarre exchange, and it is hard to understand how something as basic as an FTP client could have a lot to protect. I can't say much about this case in particular, but copyright issues have definitely gotten out of hand, especially since the enactment of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act...
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2004, 03:52 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This is all very interesting. Someone claims copyright infringement, because the program's GUI looked too similar? Scary...

Btw, doesn't seem like UltraFXP will always stay freeware. Read here:
Quote:
To people who bought licenses till now:
1. Your license key still work.
2. You can get email support, freeware users not.
3. You can get access to beta area, freeware users not.
4. Shareware UltraFXP will back in near feature, so keep your license keys.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
Paranoid
Paranoid began at the beginning.

Device: None
As a long time FlashFXP user I can say UltraFXP clearly build on the populatity of FlashFXP.
The GUI is very very similar. That includes layout of windows and menus.
They clearly just recoded FlashFXP.

FlashFXP is very stable and 99.99% bugfree.
Something that can't be said about UltraFXP.
The only reason to consider using UltraFXP is it's tabbed interface.
All IMO ofcourse
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote