Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #17146
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Guess I'm the last person on earth to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks--just finished it. Glad I read it--some really interesting ideas and a well-told story.
Not quite, I still have it on my TBR.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #17147
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I prefer the novels to the short stories. Try "Psmith in the City"; it's in the US public domain.
Thanks. I seem to have trouble setting into collections of short stories of any sort these days, I much prefer novels.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #17148
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've just downloaded George Takei's book, "Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet)"
'Mr. Sulu' has become quite a popular personage on Facebook, and has developed a huge following with his witty and topical Social commentary. I'm curious to see if he can make it last through an entire book.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #17149
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Thanks. I seem to have trouble setting into collections of short stories of any sort these days, I much prefer novels.
Sorry, I've just noticed that you're in Australia, which means that (as with me) none of Wodehouse's work is in the public domain for you, so ignore my previous remarks about it being PD; it isn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #17150
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm currently reading The White Queen by Philippa Gregory, the first in the Cousins' War series. I saw the first episode of the TV adaptation and liked it. The book, however, isn't my thing, although I will finish it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #17151
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, I've just noticed that you're in Australia, which means that (as with me) none of Wodehouse's work is in the public domain for you, so ignore my previous remarks about it being PD; it isn't.
Thanks again. It's okay though, I'm not allergic to paper, and we have a very good second hand bookshop here.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #17152
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: my oldest purchase that I think I haven't read: Time Tripper by Brian Larson, bought almost exactly 10 years ago, in July 2003.
I was wrong. I have read it before, but it's not worth a re-read.

So on to Wolverine's Daughter by Doranna Durgin, bought in October 2003.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #17153
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, that's one way to clear up your backlist.

I'm still only about 80% through The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's well written and has some telling turns of phrase. Plus the world seems to hold together, though I can't help wondering about the time frames for some things. Too bad I'll have to wait a year or more for the next one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #17154
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just finished Joseph Conrad's "Almayer's Folly," which was his first novel.

A great first novel - and written in English. It's incredible to think about how this author mastered a third language and became, in the process, one of the most important literary writers writing in the English language.

I just purchased the Delphi Classics on Conrad, and will soon start reading his second novel.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-14-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #17155
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have begun reading Bellefleur by Joyce Carol Oates - finally available in an ebook version - but with one of the most hideous covers I've ever seen mis-applied to a book.

It's been years since I first read it, and I was quite curious to discover if it was as wonderful as I had remembered it to be. And it is .... wonderful. I'm continually bowled over by Oates' ability to seemingly channel Henry James and construct vivid living sentences that flow over page after page, their sinuous syntactical complexity mirroring the genealogical and behavioral complexity of the cursed Bellefleur clan! It's a wild historical tale of greed, madness, and curses that would fit into a volume of tales by Poe. A pet spider named Love. A giant cat that arrives during a thunderstorm. A crumbling mouldering family mansion. A demonic pregnancy. Feuds! Skeletons in every family closet!

I'd write more paeans for this volume, but I want to get back to my ereader - I'm only half way through.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #17156
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Which one is hideous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I have begun reading Bellefleur by Joyce Carol Oates - finally available in an ebook version - but with one of the most hideous covers I've ever seen mis-applied to a book.

It's been years since I first read it, and I was quite curious to discover if it was as wonderful as I had remembered it to be. And it is .... wonderful. I'm continually bowled over by Oates' ability to seemingly channel Henry James and construct vivid living sentences that flow over page after page, their sinuous syntactical complexity mirroring the genealogical and behavioral complexity of the cursed Bellefleur clan! It's a wild historical tale of greed, madness, and curses that would fit into a volume of tales by Poe. A pet spider named Love. A giant cat that arrives during a thunderstorm. A crumbling mouldering family mansion. A demonic pregnancy. Feuds! Skeletons in every family closet!

I'd write more paeans for this volume, but I want to get back to my ereader - I'm only half way through.
Which one is hideous?

....or both maybe...!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #17157
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Both ... but the cover on the left is so completely inappropriate ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #17158
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Which one is hideous?

....or both maybe...!

I pre-ordered this about 9 months before it came out as an ebook.

This is one of my favorite novels by Oates.

I've always been partial to the cover on the right, which is the one on my First Edition Hardback.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #17159
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Next up, The Conjure Book by A A Attanasio, one of my favourite writers. I haven't read one of his novels for a while, so I'm about due.
Finished this one. I love Attanasio, he's one of my favourite authors. However, this one didn't do much for me. It's young adult which is probably the issue. I'm so accustomed to his beautiful prose and sophisticated ideas that a simplified version of him just fell flat for me. Additionally, this is faeries and gnomes - the kind of urban fantasy elements that just don't appeal to me like they used to.

Now I'm reading an indie effort which promises to be a bit different - a LBGT historical drama. It's The Pretty Gentleman by Max Fincher and I'll be reviewing it for my site. It's about a wide-eyed young painter who falls for his patron and is eventually betrayed. So - here I go.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #17160
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm still only about 80% through The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's well written and has some telling turns of phrase. Plus the world seems to hold together, though I can't help wondering about the time frames for some things. Too bad I'll have to wait a year or more for the next one.
Finished it off this morning. I very much enjoyed both of the books in this series, and can only hope we get a new book fairly soon. But I don't actually expect it. Regardless, I recommend the series highly. (And the Audible version of the books is actually quite good, and works with Amazon's "WhisperSync for Voice", allowing one to go back and forth between the eBook and the audio book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote