Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #17071
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Equal Rites was another excellent book from Terry Pratchett. I am ready to read Mort now.
Well, Mort isn't available yet, so I started In Enemy Hands by David Weber (Honor Harrington 7) and got about 10% into it before deciding I wanted something different. I will still complete it (probably this month) but I want a little more separation from the previous ones.

I decided to check on other library books to see what is available. Beyond now having 5 reserved I also have Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre on my Kindle and I will start reading it this evening. It is book 5 in the George Smiley books but book 1 of the "Karla Trilogy" and since I have seen the movie, I hope I can get away with starting in the middle of a series.

None of the reserved books were on my TBR, oops.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #17072
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
I just finished Oleander Girl by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, and I really enjoyed it. I'm now reading The Perfect Ghost by Linda Barnes. I'm only about thirty pages in, but am liking it so far.
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #17073
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Well, Mort isn't available yet, so I started In Enemy Hands by David Weber (Honor Harrington 7) and got about 10% into it before deciding I wanted something different. I will still complete it (probably this month) but I want a little more separation from the previous ones.

I decided to check on other library books to see what is available. Beyond now having 5 reserved I also have Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre on my Kindle and I will start reading it this evening. It is book 5 in the George Smiley books but book 1 of the "Karla Trilogy" and since I have seen the movie, I hope I can get away with starting in the middle of a series.

None of the reserved books were on my TBR, oops.
I see that Mort is currently available at Amazon for $5.69.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #17074
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I see that Mort is currently available at Amazon for $5.69.

Sorry, I meant available at my library. I am the first on the waiting list, but it is isn't available for me to actually check out yet.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #17075
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I just realized that the very first post in this thread was for Assassin's apprentice', I wish I had thought to read the book then, I've enjoyed Hobb's books so much these past few months. I just started her latest series.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #17076
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I've picked up a book I've owned for years from one of my favourite authors: Passage by Connie Willis. It's about time.
Wow! Why didn't I read this one earlier. It was brilliant! I loved how this was written. Initially I was a bit annoyed by the frustrations experienced by the characters until I realised the whole narrative was a metaphor of what was being investigated.

Every time I actually get around to reading Connie Willis, she reminds me why her career has been successful. This novel was nominated for the Hugo, the Nebula and the Arthur C Clarke awards and won the Locus Award for best science fiction novel in 2002.

Highly recommended.

Now - back to a rather well known indie effort, Saffina Desforges with Sugar & Spice.

Quote:
Sugar & Spice is now one of the biggest-selling e-books in the UK of 2011. It has also just been voted as a 'Red Adept Reviews' 2011 indie award winner for mystery!
It's a very dark novel, which suits me fine and I've had it on my TBR list for quite a while now. It will be very interesting to see what impression it makes on me.

Last edited by caleb72; 07-06-2013 at 02:40 AM.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #17077
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just finished Sleep by Haruki Murakami, great short book.

Now I just started Flow my tears, said the policeman, by Philip K. Dick.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #17078
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Passage by Connie Willis

Quote:
..Now I've picked up a book I've owned for years from one of my favourite authors: Passage by Connie Willis. It's about time.
Quote:
Wow! Why didn't I read this one earlier. It was brilliant! I loved how this was written. Initially I was a bit annoyed by the frustrations experienced by the characters until I realised the whole narrative was a metaphor of what was being investigated.

Every time I actually get around to reading Connie Willis, she reminds me why her career has been successful. This novel was nominated for the Hugo, the Nebula and the Arthur C Clarke awards won the Locus Award for best science fiction novel in 2002.

Highly recommended...
How about that!? I dug around in my TBRS pile and lo and behold I found a copy of Passage by Connie Willis! It sounded vaguely familiar to me, but I've no idea how long I've actually had it. It's both pretty big and pretty interesting sounding! I haven't yet actually begun reading the short story collection that I'd picked for my next book. I think I'll decide on which one to go with next this weekend.

Thanks Caleb, for the recommendation!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #17079
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
How are you finding the Shardlake series? I could be persuaded to try something else of his if the recommendation was strong enough.
I read Dissolution back in August 2010, and I really enjoyed it. I'll certainly get the next books in the series, when they're available at a reasonable discount.

[EDIT: Just noticed a 50% off Kobo code (yournext2613) and found that it worked for me on Dark Fire, the next in the series. £2.51 (~$3.77) is a bit more expensive than my average purchase price for 2013 ($2.92, ~£1.95), but not by too much.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-06-2013 at 02:43 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #17080
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I loved this book. As you say, you wonder at at first why the heck she's describing all the long and tortuous problems of getting from "A" to "B" in the hospital - but then you find out. And the "sting in the tail" of the book is just brilliant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #17081
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now back to Transvergence.
I enjoyed it, but I'm 99% sure I've read it before. I obviously didn't make a sufficient impression on me at the time.

Then I read the latest Grantville Gazette - #48. A good Timespike and standalone SF story made up for just OK Grantville stories.

And now my latest purchase: A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber. The August Baen Monthly Bundle includes Dark Fire, the second in the Stephanie Harrington novels, so I had to buy the first at full price (!). Luckily, being Baen and an older book now in mass market paperback, the full price was $6.99. It just shows what a bargain the monthly bundles are. I'm getting 75% off the books in the August bundle. I apply the discounted proportionally, the second volume is only costing me $1.75! (I actually just divide the bundle cost by the number of books in it that are new to me, so I'm actually recording its cost as $2.25).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #17082
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Am off recuperating after an operation so utilising this time to read paper books so currently reading midnight by Stephen leather
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #17083
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm currently jumping between Bad Monkey and Under the Dome. I'm rather liking Bad Monkey so there is a chance I might finish Bad Monkey before getting back to Under the Dome.
Loved under the dome. One of my favs from his recent works.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #17084
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another book in my "read my Baen backlog" quest, this time Dean Ing's "Firefight Y2K" - my last book from Jan 2000. Only another thirteen and a half years to catch up on...

This is a collection of SF shorts and essays about potential future technology. Military oriented, but not strictly military SF. There's even one (very good) fantasy story in there, for good measure.

Recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #17085
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm currently reading The Cure of Souls by Phil Rickman, the fourth installment of the Merrily Watkins series. I really liked the first three and the fourth is also shaping up to be a good read. It seems that it reads much faster than the previous books.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote