Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
mig_akira
mig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with others

Device: kobo
How to disable OTA updates on K4 NT SO?

Hello everyone! After some time, I managed to remove ads on my Kindle 4 NT SO - I live in Brazil, so none of the ads have absolutely no interest for me, and I was not able to select "disable ads" from my Kindle nor from the Amazon manageyourkindle page. I think maybe it's because the Kindle 4 is not officially sold here.

So, I followed some instructions found here and on other sites and removed the ads and added custom screensavers.

But I haven't found how to disable OTA updates on K4 NT SO - only for the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire. Is there a certified way to do it?

Thanks a lot!
mig_akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Hello,
I haven't found solution for K4NT too anywhere on web.
But I found script /usr/sbin/otaup , which controls the handling with OTA update.
So I believe when this script will be disabled (removed with making backup or renamed),
the automatic updates will be disabled and also ALL OTA updates will be entirely disabled.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig_akira View Post
So, I followed some instructions found here and on other sites and removed the ads and added custom screensavers.
That should be enough to prevent an OTA update from succeeding.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
knc1: you are right, the OTA install will fail. But the problem is, they are still automatically downloaded and (unsuccecfully) installed.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
knc1: you are right, the OTA install will fail. But the problem is, they are still automatically downloaded and (unsuccessfully) installed.
Ah, but the question was not asked: "How to block downloads"
My crystal ball is off-line, I can't answer the question not (yet) asked.

There are several ways to prevent the downloading -
Modify the "to do" list the system maintains ;
or
Modify the device's firewall to prevent it from contacting Amazon for updates ;
or
Probably others.
My own choice was to block the device's access to Amazon from the Kindle in my main system gateway - leaving the Kindle system untouched.

Last edited by knc1; 09-04-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
err... I vaguely recall the service that pulls down OTA's on the 3 has a unique address...

Blocking such an address could do what you ask.

That may be one approach to consider. It was under one of the "Wear a Tin-Foil Hat" threads. Hope that helps.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
mig_akira
mig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with others

Device: kobo
Hello guys! Thanks for all your replies! I think I'll try both methods, if one should fail, the other might cover it for me =)
mig_akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hello guys! Thanks for all your replies! I think I'll try both methods, if one should fail, the other might cover it for me =)
By "both methods" you are referring to which methods?

You already have ota updates disabled, the screensaver hack you installed disabled that from installing.
That is certain. We have the process to re-allow the disabled update documented and indexed.

Do you mean block the downloads?
I wrote that one for off-Kindle about six months ago (see my Chatty Kathy thread) and someone else added the on-Kindle method.
Nothing uncertain about that one either.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I have zero idea about the 4. or its guts sadly. probably the TODO service would be a place to start - BY START I MEAN START READING ABOUT - and find a solution there.

There are several config files that state in clear text what they do if you are willing to dig for them. As I said - look into the AMAZON ARE READING MY THOUGHTS threads...

Err well actually it was something like "Amazon record my cell tower location" or something. Hope that helps. BE CAREFUL would be my best advice. fiddling in the services could fill up a bit of drive and brick you. Probably blocking the address is the way forward. HOSTS file? on a 4? cant remember - anyways good luck
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Hello everyone! After some time, I managed to remove ads on my Kindle 4 NT SO - I live in Brazil, so none of the ads have absolutely no interest for me, and I was not able to select "disable ads" from my Kindle nor from the Amazon manageyourkindle page. I think maybe it's because the Kindle 4 is not officially sold here.
this isn't in relation to the question you're asking, but you may be interested - i've read elsewhere on the forum that several people in your situation (special offers kindle in a country where it's not supported) have phoned up amazon to ask about having the ads turned off, and amazon have done it free of charge. might be worth trying.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4 nt so, ota updates