Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
lucisdeus
lucisdeus began at the beginning.

Device: havron
Smile I need help on how to do this. Please help

i want to install one calibre instance on a dedicated computer so all my family can use it .
i realized that i need more than offered with calibre to let things run as i like.
so if anyone can help i would be grateful
thanks

1) I would like to see a user management in Calibre in content server with diffrent acess rights. A username and password is required to log on.
for example:some users can be given the right to view
others to download,or only download once etc..

2)age restriction to content
example: when a minor acesses the library the adult magazines and books wont show up or only a selection of books show up predefied for him.

3)automatic and scheduled download of periodic magazines from sources like torrent etc.

4)every user has a list of favorite books that is stored in his profile.so if he changes device he can get all his favorite books all at once without the need of downloading them one by one

5)the ability of predefined users to upload books to the library.
lucisdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Moderator Notice
Moved to the main calibre forum (from recipes) in response to PM

Hopefully someone else here can advise as to what is and is not possible...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Pretty sure most of these questions have been asked and the answer(s) were no.

1. 2. 5. I would suggest that you set up VPNs, one with a subset library for minors, one for adults.

I am not a VPN expert, but I know you can set up access levels that way for other software such as demos.

4. Make a custom column per user for the favorite books. Then it is one click in tag browser to show them.

3. Calibre will do automatic news downloads, but no torrents. Ethical and legal reasons perhaps.

#2 raises an interesting question. If a minor has a library card are they restricted in any way from downloading unsuitable content. Not that the library carries exceptionally offensive material, but I have borrowed books that I would not want a minor to be subjected to accidentally.

I am pretty sure that even the very expensive library software used by institutions does not fulfills all of your requirements, but I am probably wrong there.

Would be interested in knowing what you come up with.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucisdeus View Post
1) I would like to see a user management in Calibre in content server with diffrent acess rights. A username and password is required to log on.
for example:some users can be given the right to view
others to download,or only download once etc..

2)age restriction to content
example: when a minor acesses the library the adult magazines and books wont show up or only a selection of books show up predefied for him.

3)automatic and scheduled download of periodic magazines from sources like torrent etc.

4)every user has a list of favorite books that is stored in his profile.so if he changes device he can get all his favorite books all at once without the need of downloading them one by one

5)the ability of predefined users to upload books to the library.
Unfortunately, calibre can't do all the things you need it to. Looks to me you need separate/custom software to handle all the access restrictions but implementing all that would be a bit of a headache.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
lucisdeus

Smile my reply

my reply to the first answer.
first of all vpn is a very bad idea for this case

i have a slight idea how to do it but i need help.a cms can be implemented to
instead of calibre default website so this way more contol can be achieved .
i would go with word press .
but i need to know who to bring calibre and wordpress together.

my reply to the second person.

i know that these feature are not available in calibre . this is why i ask for help to implement them. so as i said earlier a good idea would be is to couple it with wordpress for example. any ideas will be welcomed

and thanks for everyone
Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
There is a thread in the library management subthread that addresses #3.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=password
can't paste it as a link from my tablet

Just a suggestion, but reposting in the library management subgroup with a thread title more descriptive of the problem might yield more results. Mention that it is a repeat posting.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i have a slight idea how to do it but i need help.a cms can be implemented to
instead of calibre default website so this way more contol can be achieved .
i would go with word press .
but i need to know who to bring calibre and wordpress together.

my reply to the second person.

i know that these feature are not available in calibre . this is why i ask for help to implement them. so as i said earlier a good idea would be is to couple it with wordpress for example. any ideas will be welcomed
WordPress isn't really ideally suited for this. It's a bit overkill particularly when Calibre already handles most of the content management. Check out the Calibre PHP Server by chaley. chaley's scripts (db.php, utilities.php, query.php) already show you how to interface with calibre's database. All you need is to create your own set of scripts (perhaps PHP+MySQL) for the output and to handle user access restrictions.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Check out the Calibre PHP Server by chaley. chaley's scripts (db.php, utilities.php, query.php) already show you how to interface with calibre's database. All you need is to create your own set of scripts (perhaps PHP+MySQL) for the output and to handle user access restrictions.
FWIW: the calibre php server already has multiple users and per-user access restrictions built in.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
lucisdeus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FWIW: the calibre php server already has multiple users and per-user access restrictions built in.
if so why there isn't an interface in the program settings to configure ???
Old 02-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
if so why there isn't an interface in the program settings to configure ???
Because it is not part of the official Calibre release! It has been developed by a Calibre user as a way of running the calibre Server component to meet his specific needs and then made generally available.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
lucisdeus

Smile great

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Because it is not part of the official Calibre release! It has been developed by a Calibre user as a way of running the calibre Server component to meet his specific needs and then made generally available.

ok great then can someone guide me on how to create some users and how to restrict some of them

thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
ok great then can someone guide me on how to create some users and how to restrict some of them
You must first install the calibre PHP server. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104188. Once installed, follow the instructions in the INSTALL file to enable logon and per-user restrictions.

From your posts I get the impression that you are not familiar with computer systems administration. If I am correct, then installing my server will be a challenge. For example, the list of prerequisites is:
Quote:
Requirements: the implementation requires a web server (Apache and IIS should both work), PHP 5.2 or 5.3 with some modules such as SQLite and GD, and Smarty. I am using both PHP 5.2 and PHP5.3, smarty 2.6 and Apache 2.2. See the README and INSTALL files included in the distribution for more information.
You must understand what the above means and be able to ensure that all prerequisites are installed and running before you will be able to install my server.

If I am inferring too much from your posts, I apologize.

It might be easier for you to create several different instances of the standard calibre server using the command line, each on a different port and each with a different password and restriction. See the calibre command line documentation for the content server for guidance: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibre-server.html.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't know that. I've been meaning to install it for a while now. Just haven't found the time.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
lucisdeus

Smile thanks " keep the suggestions coming"

ill try what you suggested .
ill be glad if you have any idea how to do the rest
thanks

Quote:
You must first install the calibre PHP server. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104188. Once installed, follow the instructions in the INSTALL file to enable logon and per-user restrictions.

From your posts I get the impression that you are not familiar with computer systems administration. If I am correct, then installing my server will be a challenge. For example, the list of prerequisites is:
You must understand what the above means and be able to ensure that all prerequisites are installed and running before you will be able to install my server.

If I am inferring too much from your posts, I apologize.

It might be easier for you to create several different instances of the standard calibre server using the command line, each on a different port and each with a different password and restriction. See the calibre command line documentation for the content server for guidance: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibre-server.html.