Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
mrbillb
mrbillb began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How do I use epub-fix?

I upgraded Calibre to version 0.7.20 so I can use epub-fix, but I cannot tell how to use it. What do I need to do?
mrbillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
It's actually called "tweak epub", and full directions on its use are given here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99875
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
It's actually called "tweak epub", and full directions on its use are given here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99875
NO, there is the command-line, epub-fix that "corrects" common file errors

and then there is the (GUI) Tweak, that allows you to make your adjustments.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I found something that says "right click on the epub file" to open the app. You just right-click on the book in the book list. Then I think you can open the individual file in an HTML editor (I just use NoteTab), edit it and redo the EPub. I haven't used it properly yet but it seems fairly straightforward. You still need to know how to use XHTML unless you have an editor which does this for you. If you can't use HTML then it might not be of much use, but it is well worth the time to learn this skill.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
NO, there is the command-line, epub-fix that "corrects" common file errors
Thanks for the correction. Since epub-fix has been around for a long time prior to 0.7.20, I assumed the poster was confusing it with "tweak epub", which was introduced in 0.7.20. My apologies for any confusion.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbillb View Post
I upgraded Calibre to version 0.7.20 so I can use epub-fix, but I cannot tell how to use it. What do I need to do?
First thing you need to do is stop asking the same question in multiple posts within an hour of each other. I answered this question for you in the first place you asked. Did you think you would get the answer quicker by creating multiple posts or did you just want to annoy folks?

For the benefit of the others in this thread.

Epub fix is a command line tool for fixing valid and invalid errors that pop up in the epub check validation program, read up on it here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-27-2010 at 10:39 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
mrbillb

epub-fix command line tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
First thing you need to do is stop asking the same question in multiple posts within an hour of each other. I answered this question for you in the first place you asked. Did you think you would get the answer quicker by creating multiple posts or did you just want to annoy folks?

For the benefit of the others in this thread.

Epub fix is a command line tool for fixing valid and invalid errors that pop up in the epub check validation program, read up on it here.
When I use the command line tool as epub-fix --epubcheck test.epub, I get an error message stating that --epubcheck is not a valid option.

By the way, I did not make a double post to annoy anyone. I thought the other post was in the wrong place. I'm trying to learn all of this and I will make mistakes. I do not think your response was warranted.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbillb View Post
When I use the command line tool as epub-fix --epubcheck test.epub, I get an error message stating that --epubcheck is not a valid option.
To start I am running Windows XP SP3 32 bit

I just ran epubfix test.epub

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Calibre2>epub-fix test.epub

OPF contains date 2002-12-30 00:00:00-05:00 that epubcheck does not like Found <svg> element with preserveAspectRatio="none" which epubcheck cannot handle
Then ran epub-fix --epubcheck test.epub

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Calibre2>epub-fix --epubcheck test.epub

OPF contains date 2002-12-30 00:00:00-05:00 that epubcheck does not like

Replaced 2002-12-30 00:00:00-05:00 with 2002-12-30

Found <svg> element with preserveAspectRatio="none" which epubcheck cannot handle

Replaced none with xMidYMid meet
I am not sure why you are getting this result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epubcheck.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	58960  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-28-2010 at 12:44 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
mrbillb

Passed Validation!

I manually tweaked the epub file and it just passed validation on Threepress. I'll see if Lulu likes it next, but their site id down right now.