Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #46
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Jeff Bezos. Word is he strained his ribcage laughing when he heard of the partnership.
Snarky, but pretty unlikely since WalMart is his model.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Apple beefed up their eBook store, but I think that is going to be an evolution over the next several years. It's a big step in the right direction, but they haven't really given me a reason to buy from them rather than the Kindle store.
Just out of curiosity, is there even a way to read Apple eBooks on an eInk device? I'm guessing not, but I really don't know (not that it would be an issue for me).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Jeff Bezos. Word is he strained his ribcage laughing when he heard of the partnership.
I'm not convinced Bezos even has a sense of humor. He seems kind of "lizard-like" to me.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #49
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not convinced Bezos even has a sense of humor. He seems kind of "lizard-like" to me.
You should watch an interview with Jeff Bezos on Youtube. He's famous for his laugh and anyone who laughs the way he does isn't faking it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
When he's serious, he's dead serious. Nobody who isn't gets where he is.

But he's been known to have a sense of humor and on occasion he gets very snarky. Like when B&N got into online pbook sales and the media started writing Amazon off because of B&N's stores and "deep pockets".
Being a creature of Wall Street and a follower of Jack Welch, Bezos knew better and just shrugged it off with a few mild comments that in hindsight express utter contempt. Just in a sly sense, along the lines of "anybody can hire warm bodies to play online... (but few can do it well)".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2019, 11:06 PM   #51
azayn
Connoisseur
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, is there even a way to read Apple eBooks on an eInk device? I'm guessing not, but I really don't know (not that it would be an issue for me).
Apple ebooks are epub but use Apple's own Fairplay DRM. I've never tried to crack it, but if you Google it there are utilities out there that claim to be able to remove it. Sadly, calibre and Dedrm don't work on Apple ebooks.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:20 AM   #52
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
When he's serious, he's dead serious. Nobody who isn't gets where he is.

But he's been known to have a sense of humor and on occasion he gets very snarky. Like when B&N got into online pbook sales and the media started writing Amazon off because of B&N's stores and "deep pockets".
Being a creature of Wall Street and a follower of Jack Welch, Bezos knew better and just shrugged it off with a few mild comments that in hindsight express utter contempt. Just in a sly sense, along the lines of "anybody can hire warm bodies to play online... (but few can do it well)".

Too bad he's not so smart about woman. He has let his success turn him into an adulterer and a bad one at that. Lol. With his billions he couldnt look any further than their mutual close friends.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:46 AM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
You should watch an interview with Jeff Bezos on Youtube. He's famous for his laugh and anyone who laughs the way he does isn't faking it.
Okay. I guess I've only ever seen news stories about him when he was in "Poindexter" mode. I'll take your word for it about the YouTube laughing videos.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-28-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:51 AM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Apple ebooks are epub but use Apple's own Fairplay DRM. I've never tried to crack it, but if you Google it there are utilities out there that claim to be able to remove it. Sadly, calibre and Dedrm don't work on Apple ebooks.
I meant more of an "official" eInk path. I don't even know if Apple eBooks can be read on anything other than Apple devices. That's how ignorant of all things Apple that I am.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Can you even buy Apple ebooks without Apple hardware?
When they started they didn't even support the Macs.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I meant more of an "official" eInk path. I don't even know if Apple eBooks can be read on anything other than Apple devices. That's how ignorant of all things Apple that I am.
I know of no eInk device that directly supports Apple eBooks and fairplay. You can remove the DRM from them, that's what I do when I buy Apple eBooks. Right now, Books is supported on all the Apple devices, i.e. iOS and Mac.

Right now, Apple seems focused on their walled garden, just like Amazon is focused on their walled garden. (you want to read Kindle books on something other than a Kindle or using the Kindle app? Need to remove the DRM first, no different than Apple).
Old 04-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #57
hollowpoint
Connoisseur
hollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheese

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle
Quote:
I know of no eInk device that directly supports Apple eBooks and fairplay. You can remove the DRM from them, that's what I do
But only possible if you run Tuneskit, and that only if you have a Mac. True?
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #58
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
I know of no eInk device that directly supports Apple eBooks and fairplay. You can remove the DRM from them, that's what I do when I buy Apple eBooks. Right now, Books is supported on all the Apple devices, i.e. iOS and Mac.

Right now, Apple seems focused on their walled garden, just like Amazon is focused on their walled garden. (you want to read Kindle books on something other than a Kindle or using the Kindle app? Need to remove the DRM first, no different than Apple).
So wait...are you saying that I could install the iBooks app on my Android phone if I wanted to? Or can iBooks only be installed on Apple products?

Shari
shalym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #59
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So wait...are you saying that I could install the iBooks app on my Android phone if I wanted to? Or can iBooks only be installed on Apple products?

Shari
"Right now, Books is supported on all the Apple devices, i.e. iOS and Mac. "

So, no I'm not saying you can install the Books app on your Android phone. It's only supported on iOS and MacOS devices, iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro for example.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #60
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
But only possible if you run Tuneskit, and that only if you have a Mac. True?
I wouldn't say only, but that is the set up I use. I do understand that there are other programs that remove Fairplay, but I have not experience with those.