Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 03-29-2019, 03:15 AM   #346
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
As soon as the new Sony comes out I'm selling this shitty Mimas and going back to Sony. The Mimas lags, is slow, and completely useless with PDFs.
Don't waste your money.
Phil
I agree and is what i will do when Sony comes out, i never posted about Sony erader because i have nothing to say but perfect! devices; i waste a lot of money and time with Boyue and OB!.
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #347
Siggy1000
Enthusiast
Siggy1000 doesn't litterSiggy1000 doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas
Quote:
As soon as the new Sony comes out I'm selling this shitty Mimas and going back to Sony. The Mimas lags, is slow, and completely useless with PDFs.
Don't waste your money.
Phil
Complete disagree. I love the Mimas for what it is and how much it did cost. It's my daily driver for university notes and battery lasts 7 days. Note taking is fast, responsive and intuitive. And the pen doesn't need to be charged...

Apart from that, I would not spend a 800€+ on an EInk device. Even 450€ on the Mimas is too much for what it can do. These things need to get cheaper!
Siggy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #348
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy1000 View Post
Complete disagree. I love the Mimas for what it is and how much it did cost. It's my daily driver for university notes and battery lasts 7 days. Note taking is fast, responsive and intuitive. And the pen doesn't need to be charged...

Apart from that, I would not spend a 800€+ on an EInk device. Even 450€ on the Mimas is too much for what it can do. These things need to get cheaper!
Well, how physical buttons "back" and "home" work have tried it?
remember in every device (Sony or OB): "home" means go to main screen
"back" means go to last screen,
Mimas does really that?
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #349
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Quote:

I understand where youre coming from and in one of my other post (see Sony ereaders forum) I mention and agree the Mimas is quite good for note taking. And that's what I'm using it for. You didn't mention anything about PDFs so I guess you're not using them in school. In the professional world, many industries run on PDF and for that, the Mimas is useless.

Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #350
blue_skies
Addict
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:

Same here. I love the Mimas too. I use it for reading, jotting notes and I also use the mp3 players/speakers.

I've only read one PDF on it so far, and it was fine, but I don't really care about that aspect, or taking notes on it. I am not surprised that a device that costs almost double and is optimized for taking notes on PDFs performs better in that regard.

A full charge on my Mimas has been lasting 10-15 days, so I'm very happy about that. This device is very fast and the screen and lighting is fantastic. I love being able to fit so much text on each page.

I just want the firmware improvements I mentioned on the previous page, and then it will be perfect for me.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #351
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew doesn't litterrvcjew doesn't litter

Device: PW3, T80S, T80D, T103D
Quote:
I understand where youre coming from and in one of my other post (see Sony ereaders forum) I mention and agree the Mimas is quite good for note taking. And that's what I'm using it for. You didn't mention anything about PDFs so I guess you're not using them in school. In the professional world, many industries run on PDF and for that, the Mimas is useless.

Phil
If your reading pdfs made professionally why are you not using something like Adobe reader on android to read and interact with them? Imo Google reader and Adobe reader are the good ones for android. Just wondering your opinions.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #352
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
If your reading pdfs made professionally why are you not using something like Adobe reader on android to read and interact with them? Imo Google reader and Adobe reader are the good ones for android. Just wondering your opinions.
Malcolm
Malcolm,
I have not used Adobe reader in quite some time. I don't think you are able to annotate PDFs with it? From my memory of Adobe products, they're pretty restrictive. Annotation is what I need as I deal with a lot of technical stuff on PDF, so highlighting and note-taking actually on the PDF is very important for my work.
For years, actually since the early beginning of Android , I was using replica reader which was a good free tool to annotate and read PDFs.

Phil
Old 03-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #353
mrpotts
Connoisseur

I'm wondering why everybody says the Mimas is so fast. Am I the only one who is able to type 3, 4, 5, 6 characters ahead from when appears on the screen? I'm not an incredibly fast typer either.

Phil
Old 03-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #354
foro.carlos
foro.carlos doesn't litterforo.carlos doesn't litter

Device: likebook mimas
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
This was from a while back, but if you're still around Foro.Carlos... could you please pass along my Wishlist to your contact?
My Boyue Likebook Mimas Firmware Update Wishlist:

Reading:
-- Fix punctuation/hyphenation in the Boyue OS reading app!
-- Fix the Open Once/ Open Always bug.
-- Add ability to change light temperature in the Boyue OS reading app.
-- Ability to set different default apps (always open with) for PDF and EPUB.

Notes:
-- Ability to Copy all or part of a page of notes and paste in same or other note.
-- Ability to delete first page of a note when using a template.

Home Page:
-- Ability to remove graph.
-- Ability to remove quote box also, or extend it after removing the graph so that I can least paste a longer quote in a font that is large enough to read!

**** I'm not sure if it's been added with the latest update, but I would like to be able to organize both my books and notes in whatever folder and subfolder structure I would prefer.
As Malcom said some of this features are already there but I'll pass the rest to the support contact along the new firmware issues I'll find.

I'm on the older firmware now but I did a backup of the system with the rockchip tools so I'll try the bew one and if it's messy I'll revert.
foro.carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:33 PM   #355
foro.carlos
foro.carlos doesn't litterforo.carlos doesn't litter

Device: likebook mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Same here. I love the Mimas too. I use it for reading, jotting notes and I also use the mp3 players/speakers.

I've only read one PDF on it so far, and it was fine, but I don't really care about that aspect, or taking notes on it. I am not surprised that a device that costs almost double and is optimized for taking notes on PDFs performs better in that regard.

A full charge on my Mimas has been lasting 10-15 days, so I'm very happy about that. This device is very fast and the screen and lighting is fantastic. I love being able to fit so much text on each page.

I just want the firmware improvements I mentioned on the previous page, and then it will be perfect for me.
Couldn't be more agreed . I'm quite happy with the mimas and I think they are on the right track . As far as know about GPL compliance they have some stuff to solve to be honest as @pazos pointed out so I'll wait some progress in this area before any further commitment in helping them. If the solve this issues I'd think they just made a wonderful device for the money with a gorgeous design. If only were a little bit lighter ....
On the other hand I already had my ration of Sony devices and I prefer a hundred times this the mimas approach of giving features and room for hacking over the minimalistic-but-good-finished Sony (or any other reader apart from the good old NST)
foro.carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:44 AM   #356
blue_skies
Addict
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post
As Malcom said some of this features are already there but I'll pass the rest to the support contact along the new firmware issues I'll find.

I'm on the older firmware now but I did a backup of the system with the rockchip tools so I'll try the bew one and if it's messy I'll revert.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

And I hope you report back what you think of the new firmware update after you try it.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:12 AM   #357
mrpotts
Connoisseur

I am excited to see what you can do with this Mimas, foro.carlos. I'm behind you and wish I could help. I'm swamped for the next few months and not even seeing my toddler daughter on some days.

Another negative on the Mimas though and i'm wondering if this has happened to anyone.
You lose your notes before a save?
It's happened to me a few times and boy does it make me stomping mad. This last time I disposed of the paper copy so I've lost the notes, forever.
Why has this happened? Unfortunately for different reasons I've noticed.
1) I hit the Home physical button by mistake (I'm lefty!) and when I went back to the note, 4 pages were gone!
2) Another time I did a bluetooth transfer, receiving on the Mimas, and when hitting the accept file, I lost pages of the note I was on.
3) It's happened a few other times but smaller amounts lost and I don't remember how it happened.

Anyone else?
Phil
Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 AM   #358
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew doesn't litterrvcjew doesn't litter

Device: PW3, T80S, T80D, T103D
Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post

If I may ask how did you get into the bootloader to use rockchip tools to make a backup, I want to do it with my mars like I did on the T80S but can't find a way to get into it with no physical home button. There is a like reset hole on mine so i'm wondering if that is what that is for as no one knows if it does anything and i'm not about to have it wipe my device with no source for it available anywhere?
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 AM   #359
Siggy1000
Enthusiast

Quote:

Phil
For university, I use PDFs quite heavily, but only after the update. Before I did just view a few exercise sheets...nothing special. Since the update I am fully annotating my PDF handouts in university using the Boyue native reader. No complains so far, no disappearing notes or likewise.

Regarding input lag: To solve exercise sheets, I use the Boyue note app with a squared background (engineer style). This thing has got 0 input lag, feels like paper and the UI is good.
On PDFs, there is just a tiny input lag, of about 1/4mm from where the pen is. So no complains here either. The no touch option on pdfs since the update is great, especially hiding the tools bar so it only shows the page turn buttons.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:10 AM   #360
Siggy1000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
Well, how physical buttons "back" and "home" work have tried it?
remember in every device (Sony or OB): "home" means go to main screen
"back" means go to last screen,
Mimas does really that?
Back button works as expected. Home button...yeah, it takes you back to the home screen but back to the tab, where you were last in. I kinda like that. Especially when being in the notes app, that home returns to the note screen so I can create a new one.