Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #3391
sun_reads
sun_reads began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei S8-701w
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
(multi-reply)
You'll need to enable that option to be able to update the epubs downloaded directly from AO3 website using FFF.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
(multi-reply)
AO3's epubs are not compatible with FanFicFare's epubs. If you use FFF to 'update' a downloaded AO3 epub, it will 'work', but the existing AO3 epub will be discarded and a new FFF epub created.
Yeah, that's no problem. I figured it'd be not quire the same; the ones that I downloaded from URL list still looked the same as the old FFF ones and the ones from AO3 did not.

File replacement completely works for me, though I mostly need the metadata updated - the AO3 tagging is completely bonkers. Because I can regex the hell out of the tags with FFF and sort them into multiple columns (plus there is some automatic tidying of ships and whatnot), I can create a neat tagging system for my tablet.

Most e-readers will just say "Sort by tags" and I'll look at five million different tags (from AO3) and despair. At least mine does this and I'm too used to Moon+ to switch to a new one.

But with FFF, when a story is complete and I got the metadata through AO3 sorted into several columns, I use Calibre's bulk metadata search and replace to send the tags into a backup column, then add the Category (fandom) and the ships into the tags.

Thanks again for the help.
sun_reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #3392
baggins41
baggins41 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen.)
Quote:
@ILB - No, FFF doesn't have a way to update title page without doing update right now.

I'm not sure off hand how possible it would be to add that. I'm looking at something else right now, but I've written it down.
I'd just like to chime in and say how much I would appreciate it if you were able to add this.

There have been many times I've adjusted metadata in my Calibre library (especially adding series information) and had to either re-download the story or edit the epub by hand to update the title page. (And sometimes re-downloading isn't an option if e.g. the story has been deleted off the site it originally came from.)
baggins41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2019, 03:04 AM   #3393
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I have a bunch of old stories which no longer exists on the websites (FFnet and AO3) they are all downloaded before I added the wonderful saved metadata column. I was hoping for a tool that would let me create or update the saved metadata column based on a title page, whether it's in txt form or epub.

Attached is an example in txt-format.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Shelter From the Storm by Mews1945.zip (14.0 KB, 15 views)
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #3394
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.

Device: 8" Win10 Tablet w/Calibre64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I have a bunch of old stories which no longer exists on the websites (FFnet and AO3) they are all downloaded before I added the wonderful saved metadata column. I was hoping for a tool that would let me create or update the saved metadata column based on a title page, whether it's in txt form or epub.

Attached is an example in txt-format.
I think that you already do something similar with the MultiColumn Search plugin's full-text search Tab with regex search and subsequent regex text extraction via a 2nd regex to update a custom column.

Show Tooltip
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:03 AM   #3395
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I wouldn't mind a guide on the how-to. I can send you an example of how the saved metadata column looks?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #3396
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm most of the way done with implementing an "update existing epub title page" feature. But I'm debating about how it should be offered to the user:
  1. As a new Update Option? After "Update Calibre Metadata from Saved Metadata Column" on the list, "Update EPUB Title Page from Saved Metadata Column"?
  2. As an add-on optional update feature, like the existing "Update EPUB Cover" checkbox? IE, to be applied after updating epub and Calibre columns.
  3. As a separate action, similar to 'Remove "New" Chapter Marks from Selected books'?
Opinions?

(unrelated reply)

@Tanjamuse, given that title_page is extremely configurable--and even the default appearance has changed over the years--it's pretty complex to parse it. I might have considered it anyway for epub, but txt files adds yet another layer of complexity. Especially for a feature that's very limited in scope--only useful for deleted stories collected without saved column.

So I'm not interested in implementing that.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #3397
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version Posted

2019-05-06
- Fix for series contain 'collection from' adapter_storiesonlinenet.
- Fix for anthology titles (and generate cover settings) not needing encode() anymore.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #3398
ILB
Zealot
ILB began at the beginning.

Quote:
I'm most of the way done with implementing an "update existing epub title page" feature. But I'm debating about how it should be offered to the user:
  1. As a new Update Option? After "Update Calibre Metadata from Saved Metadata Column" on the list, "Update EPUB Title Page from Saved Metadata Column"?
  2. As an add-on optional update feature, like the existing "Update EPUB Cover" checkbox? IE, to be applied after updating epub and Calibre columns.
  3. As a separate action, similar to 'Remove "New" Chapter Marks from Selected books'?
Opinions?
Does it make a big difference: which option is easier to integrate and maintain?
Basically, I would be happy with each of these options.

But as I would use it to update the title page on single books before sending it to my reader I would prefer Option 3.
Another advantage: it could also be used via a shortcut.

Otherwise option 1 sounds good.

As for option 2: I think that´s not necessary as an optional update feature. Most of the update modes already update the title page while downloading – if there are changes or I use "overwrite always"
And if checked – would it always update the title page? Regardless of whether the epub is updated or not? Or only if no changes are made to the epub otherwise? With which update mode should it be combined to use?
It could lead to confusion as it provides different possible combinations.

General questions about it:
- Does it only use Saved Metadata Columns? Or also costum columns?
- How does option 2 fare if the original story has been deleted from the site?
ILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #3399
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

There are ups and downs to each approach in implementation.

Option 1 can leverage existing code for reporting possible issues and optionally marking updated/failed books, and can fall back to 'Update CalMeta from Web site' if there's no saved column data.

Option 2 is similar with the bonus that you could use calibre_std/cust_colname in title_page and they would be populated on new download. You would also have to mark (using 'New Only'/n flags) columns you want to manage manually, but that's already the case.

I mention option two because I suspect that about 10 minutes after releasing the feature, someone will ask for it to run automatically on new downloads when they realize their manually-managed custom columns aren't in the title page until after an epub update or title page update. OTOH, users that truly manage those columns themselves and don't pre-populate them from FFF metadata with 'New Only' won't care.

Option 3 keeps the new feature isolated from the update code path, which should preclude introducing new bugs into update--a not insignificant consideration--but requires either a reporting mechanism added (compared to UnNew), failure notices (when needed) by individual book, or silent failures.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #3400
ownedbycats
Enthusiast
ownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Searched the thread but didn't see: Is there a way to avoid downloading tags on new fics? Some authors get just a bit over-enthusiastic with them.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #3401
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Searched the thread but didn't see: Is there a way to avoid downloading tags on new fics? Some authors get just a bit over-enthusiastic with them.
Since you specifically mention new fics, I assume you already found the 'New Only' checkbox next to Tags on the Standard Columns tab in FFF config. That will prevent Tags being set on updates, there isn't a simple 'checkbox' way on new fics.

But it can be done. How FFF populates Calibre's Tags is a bit odd for historical reasons. The INI setting include_subject_tags controls what is populated in Calibre's Tags column. (It started out as the control for what <dc:subject> tags end up in the epub format.)

In personal.ini, you can set include_subject_tags. The default.ini value is:
Code:
include_subject_tags: extratags, genre, category, characters, ships, status
You can get rid of tags in general[1] by clearing include_subject_tags in your personal.ini with:
Code:
[defaults] 
# add to existing [defaults] section
include_subject_tags:
Or you might set it to a subset of the normal values for just one site:
Code:
[archiveofourown.org]
# may need to add [archiveofourown.org] section.
include_subject_tags: extratags, status
(extratags is usually 'FanFiction' for most sites.)

[1] - While thinking about this I realized that some of the default.ini settings make it more difficult to remove all include_subject_tags settings for a few sites (the base_xenforoforum sites and potionsandsnitches.org specifically). I'll be fixing that before the next release.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #3402
ownedbycats
Enthusiast
ownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheese

That worked. Thank you.

While at it: Is there a way to set the tag to Fanfiction.[category]?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #3403
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That worked. Thank you.

While at it: Is there a way to set the tag to Fanfiction.[category]?
You can change every category to have 'Fanfiction' at the start with replace_metadata:

Code:
replace_metadata:
 category=>^(.*)$=>Fanfiction.\1
Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #3404
ownedbycats
Enthusiast

Seems to work, except now I'm getting redundant FanFiction and Fanfiction.[category] tags for new fics. Not sure what I mucked up:

EDIT: Never mind, adding a blank extratags worked.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-07-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #3405
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2019-05-08
- base_xenforoforum: include forumtags in genre and tagsfromtitle in category instead of including both in subject_tags.
- Don't hardcode extratags into subject tags--it's in include_subject_tags in defaults.ini.
- Refactor base_xenforoforum for upcoming XenForo2 update for SV.