Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
wmac
wmac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy Tablet for reading large books (mostly academic)

Hello everyone,

I have owned several tablets and attempted to read books on them but I mostly find myself printing the ebook for reading (programming, academic, business...).

I think I print the book because I am not comfortable reading the ebook on the tablet or perhaps because it does not provide the features (i.e. writing and highlighting on the pages) in an intuitive way.

- Previously I was able to finish a few books on a 8.9 inch tablet but I was not happy of the battery life and quality.

- Then I bought a nexus 7. The quality and the battery life is ok but I am always panning, and zooming. In general the experience does not compare to reading a book. It just needs too much struggle to read a book. The highlighting is a disaster (it once took me 3 minutes to highlight a line).

Could users suggest me the tablet which they found most comfortable and more near to the experience of reading a book?

I should read hundreds of books (mostly academic and large) but the nexus 7 just does not work.

Thanks.
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Most people would find it difficult to read scientific papers on a seven inch tablet. You are likely to find is easiest with a large tablet with the right aspect ratio. Since you haven't mentioned a budget, an iPad Air is probably your first choice.

There are a gazillion threads here on which device to buy for reading PDFs/technical papers - cruise a few of those for more opinions.

Last edited by meeera; 06-24-2014 at 07:12 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd second the recommendation for an iPad. It has an excellent battery life and - more importantly for me - a 4:3 aspect ratio, which personally I find better for reading on than the 16:10 aspect ratio of most other tablets.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote