Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
tonyc46
tonyc46 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Kindle SD Intermittent

I am trying to get my Gen 1 Kindle to work with Calibre. The problem is that Calibre is not always seeing the SD card. Here are the details:
  • Running on MacBook with OS X 10.6.6
  • The Kindle always sees the SD card
  • The Mac always sees the Kindle and the SD card
  • Calibre always sees the device but usually does not see the SD card. When it does, it usually loses it after a few minutes, i.e. I'll send a few books to it and then it will drop off the Calibre menu. The device is still there in the Calibre menu but Card A is gone and I get a "cannot communicate with device" error.
  • I am also using this installation of Calibre with a Sony PRS-505 with SD card and never have any trouble with that configuration.

Wasn't able to find this problem in earlier posts via several search parameters.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you.
tonyc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try reformatting your SD card as FAT 32.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
tonyc46

It is FAT32. The odd thing is that everything sees it (kindle and computer) except sometimes Calibre.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The important part is the reformat not the FAT32
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
tonyc46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The important part is the reformat not the FAT32
I should have mentioned that I had reformatted it at the time I left the last message. I hooked it up about 12 hours ago, after the format. Calibre is seeing the device but not the card, even though the Mac sees the card and the device.

I just quit Calibre without touching the Kindle. On restart it sees the Card. I'll try to load something to it and see how long is stays available in Calibre.
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
tonyc46

The card I was using was a 4GB SD. I'm trying now with a newly formatted 2GB. Same response. Both the computer and the Kindle see the device and card but Calibre only sees the device.

I just noticed something interesting. When I ejected the device using the Calibre menu, the card was removed from the Mac but the device stayed on the desktop.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run calibre in debug mode you will get more output that should help you figure out the problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
tonyc46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Run calibre in debug mode you will get more output that should help you figure out the problem.
I will do that.

FYI. I took the Kindle with the 4GB into my office where I have a PC. I carry the library on a USB drive and copied it over. I ran Calibre and plugged in the Kindle. It saw the device and the card. I transferred a few files to the card. Despite it taking a very long time (might have been doing conversions), it never lost the card.

So, the problem seems to be exclusive to Mac.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc46 View Post
So, the problem seems to be exclusive to Mac.
Not exclusive to Mac per se, but exclusive to your current Mac with its current set of updates, programs and configurations. If this was a Mac - Kindle SD card problem the odds are more people would have this problem.

Still it will be interesting to see if running calibre in debug mode will reveal anything that can help solve this problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
@Tonyc64

Just confirming that when using your MAC:

you are NOT using any external USB Hub devices (including ones on a Keyboard or Display).
That you have tried with no other "USB Mass Storage" device attached, or a USB networking device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
tonyc46

dwanthny:

I should have said "exclusive to my Mac.

I ran Calibre in debug. It never did see the SD card but did see the device. Log is attached, for what it's worth.

As I got to looking at the books it showed on the main, it seemed to me that there were a lot more earlier in the day. I took the card out of the reader and it showed 10 in the main. This time there were never any more, but earlier I thought I remembered seeing about 25 in the main. That would be about the total for both the card and the device. Is there any way Calibre could see the books in both the device and the card but not show the card in the menubar?

Thanks.

Tony
Attached Files
File Type: txt tonyc46 debug log 1 Apr.txt (4.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
tonyc46

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@Tonyc64

Just confirming that when using your MAC:

you are NOT using any external USB Hub devices (including ones on a Keyboard or Display).
That you have tried with no other "USB Mass Storage" device attached, or a USB networking device.
Good point.

I have several USB drives and 2 hubs (the Macbook only has 2 usb ports). I'll see if I can get to a point that I can remove everything external and just have the keyboard and kindle attached. If that works, I'll try it with a hub and only the kindle. If OK, I'll start adding stuff from there and see if I lose it.

I'll post the results.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc46 View Post
Good point.

I have several USB drives and 2 hubs (the Macbook only has 2 usb ports). I'll see if I can get to a point that I can remove everything external and just have the keyboard and kindle attached. If that works, I'll try it with a hub and only the kindle. If OK, I'll start adding stuff from there and see if I lose it.

I'll post the results.
1 Hubs are notoriously underpowered (the wall (5V models) wart needs to have 500ma PER USB port as any or All can draw power. (don't just change the manufacturers wall wart for higher capacity. They may have left out the proper protections.)
2) High speed devices can use up all the bandwidth of the system connected port. (Slow devices on Hubs, Fast devices direct (a hub should be considered as fast as it aggregates many slows ))

Last edited by theducks; 04-01-2011 at 10:50 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
tonyc46

Removing all the external stuff didn't make a difference. I've got the keyboard in one port and the kindle in the other. The Mac sees the device and the card but Calibre only sees the device. Only books shown are in the main.

I think I'm going to give up on it. My primary reader is a Sony and it works fine with Calibre and the Mac. I thought I'd see if I could use the kindle since it has a keyboard and search capability, so would work well for reference. By using Calibre to manage all my books and backing up to a usb stick, I can take that into my PC at work and use it to load the kindle. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the ideas.

Tony
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
tonyc46

I think I have just discovered a work-around. Kindle has a utility to move books from the device memory to the card. If I remove the card and use Calibre to add books to the device, I think I can then use the utility to move them them to the card. A minor inconvenience, but it will do them in bulk and I'm not planning on putting that many on the kindle. As I mentioned earlier, I'm just using it to maintain some reference books since the Sony is my primary reader.