Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #31
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You'd have to do it in the Calibre editor, editing the CSS file.
Okay, that I can do. One final question... what am I looking for in the CSS file?!
Tomifonication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomifonication View Post
Okay, that I can do. One final question... what am I looking for in the CSS file?!
Widows and orphans. That's exactly how they're named. They may be listed in several places, for example under every paragraph style. Just delete them, or set the value to 1, and see how you like the results.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #33
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Quote:
Widows and orphans. That's exactly how they're named. They may be listed in several places, for example under every paragraph style. Just delete them, or set the value to 1, and see how you like the results.
Thanks, I'll take it for a spin!
Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #34
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Hmm?... I've tried various searches, and can't find anything admittedly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-04-21 at 16.25.51.png
Views:	156
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	170830  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you try to search separately for them? They're usually listed separately, not as "widows and orphans".
Old 04-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And the search is set for the style files, not the text files?
Old 04-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #37
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Did you try to search separately for them? They're usually listed separately, not as "widows and orphans".
I did! Suspected it may be my own idiocy, but alas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-04-21 at 16.35.01.png
Views:	136
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	170831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-04-21 at 16.35.11.png
Views:	133
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	170832  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #38
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
And the search is set for the style files, not the text files?
Correct
Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Then they're not defined at all in that book. In some books they are, but not in all.

If the bottom margin varies in a book that doesn't have widows and orphans in its .css file, then it's probably something the Kindle does of its own accord. I'm afraid I don't have a solution for that.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #40
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Then they're not defined at all in that book. In some books they are, but not in all.

If the bottom margin varies in a book that doesn't have widows and orphans in its .css file, then it's probably something the Kindle does of its own accord. I'm afraid I don't have a solution for that.
That's okay, my next step is to play around with the Top/Bottom margins and see if it's related to that perhaps.

Thanks very much for your thoughts and suggestions!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #41
Tomifonication
Luddite

Okay, so final verdict... I can resolve the problem by converting the file and checking the 'Remove Spacing Between Paragraphs' option.

If I have an AZW3 file, and convert it to AZW3 (so that I can utilise the paragraph spacing removal), does it actually change anything, or does it recognise its AZW3 converting to AZW3, simply removes the spacing?

Perhaps a better way to word it, if I convert AZW3 to AZW3, does it change it to an EPUB and then back to AZW3?
Old 04-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #42
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, so final verdict... I can resolve the problem by converting the file and checking the 'Remove Spacing Between Paragraphs' option.

If I have an AZW3 file, and convert it to AZW3 (so that I can utilise the paragraph spacing removal), does it actually change anything, or does it recognise its AZW3 converting to AZW3, simply removes the spacing?

Perhaps a better way to word it, if I convert AZW3 to AZW3, does it change it to an EPUB and then back to AZW3?
It might also remove the spacing where you would not want it removed, e.g. under chapter titles or in section breaks, if those are not defined separately from paragraphs. That's why I use the editor to remove paragraph spacing.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

You might want to try amazon's transfer by USB option on the "your content and devices" page. That will give you amazon's official azw3 version of the book.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #44
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You might want to try amazon's transfer by USB option on the "your content and devices" page. That will give you amazon's official azw3 version of the book.
Thanks for the recommendation, but admittedly it's not really relevant to what I'm trying to do. Obtaining the files isn't a problem (currently download Kindle for Mac 1.17), it's removing the line/paragraph breaks and ensuring I don't lose much by converting from AZW3 to AZW3.

Talking with Sirtel et al., the best way to do it is manually editing the offending books' CSS, and looking for commonalities. Working well thus far, and I'm learning CSS, so it's all good!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation, but admittedly it's not really relevant to what I'm trying to do. Obtaining the files isn't a problem (currently download Kindle for Mac 1.17), it's removing the line/paragraph breaks and ensuring I don't lose much by converting from AZW3 to AZW3.

Talking with Sirtel et al., the best way to do it is manually editing the offending books' CSS, and looking for commonalities. Working well thus far, and I'm learning CSS, so it's all good!
Folks, it's NOT widows and orphans. It's how the publisher set the spacing, between paragraphs, which does NOT equal one line of space! This is NOT PRINT, and squared pages---which, by the way, are only done today by trade publishing houses, because despite what people believe, it's not done through kerning and leading, but, rather, by requiring the author/editor to add X characters or remove them--but digital. That means that the spacing between paragraphs can vary--so that, between regular body paragraphs, perhaps it's a half-space (half line-height). Between scenes, it can be almost anything.

What this means is simply this--if your page has 3 paragraphs, with two half-spaces between them, the LAST LINE is going to be in a different spot, ever-so-slightly--than if you have 4 paragraphs with 3 half-spaces between them. It's not rocket surgery, and the ONLY way to eliminate it would be to change the amount of space, the top- or bottom-margin, between paragraphs. Even THEN, it might not be exact, for a zillion different reasons. If the publisher used a different font, with a different ascender height, in the middle of a line, it will affect the line-heights, and that will affect the page, and the "squaring" of it.

Do the math. If a line is 1.2ems high, and the space BETWEEN them is not 1.2ems high, but something else--think about it. It's NEVER going to be squared, not ever. Not unless every single screen has the same number of lines, and the same number of paragraphs.

With all due respect, without redoing the entire book, changing it to a monospace font, changing the line-heights to 1.0, rather than 1.2 ems (which you probably cannot do and override the Amazon settings), you'll never "fix" it. That's because it's not broken.

If this actually bothers you, I'd also strongly recommend that you don't read ANY self-pubbed print books, either, because they don't bother to square the pages--they think that widows and orphans matter more, so they choose that over page squaring. Most self-pubs won't sit there and edit a given page, to eliminate 24 characters, so that they can square the page. Believe me, we've done over 4,000 eBooks nad hundreds of print, and you know how many times a self-pub went through the effort to square a page, by doing what Random House does? ONCE. And for that matter, most trade pubs aren't bothering to do it any longer, either.

It's not broken. There's no easy or magical or Calibre fix. You'd have to change the entire rendering system so that the line-heights are all the same, and the space between paragraphs = a single line height, for it to square--and then, yes, the widow and orphans settings will also cause this. OR, the space between paragraphs--even scene-breaks--will have to be the same as the space between lines inside a paragraph. That's the only way. No fleurons, no asterisms, no this, no that. It would look like your basic 1960's term paper, typed on a manual typewriter, rather than a modern book. THEN, you'd have squared pages.

I mean, can we all remember, for a moment, that ebooks reflow? The pages are NOT set? It's not fixed-layout? This is how they are intended to work.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote