Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #2506
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished up Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward. It worked well as an audiobook.

Up next, The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend, the 6th book in the Drenai series by David Gemmell, read by Sean Barrett. I've been listening in publishing order rather than Chronological order. I just wish that all my old favorites had been converted into audiobooks this well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:55 AM   #2507
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
I just finished a marathon listen to the Imager Portfolio from L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Actually a bit of both listen and read. The series has problems, but somehow I keep reading them, though I can't imagine another re-read any time soon.

Now listening to The Daughter of Time, by Josephine Tey, narrated by Derek Jacobi. This is next month's New Leaf Book Club selection, and I'm already caught up in it. A good sign.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #2508
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
I listened to The Temp by Michelle Frances, narrated by Susan Lyons. This was fun; I liked it better than Frances's first novel (The Girlfriend), which included animal abuse and other nastiness. The Temp had some plotlines familiar to anyone who's ever watched a Lifetime movie, but with interesting tweaks and mashups. I did spot one "surprise" quite early on; another twist that I expected--the author seemed to lay the groundwork for it--didn't happen.

The narrator was good, especially in some of the suspenseful scenes--she added to the suspense but wasn't over the top.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #2509
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Almost finished with The King's Gambit, first in a series set in ancient Rome (about a century before Falco). Wasn't sure if it'd be too grim, but I liked it a lot even though a bit more violent than I might have preferred. John Lee proved a terrific narrator match!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #2510
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Almost finished with The King's Gambit, first in a series set in ancient Rome (about a century before Falco). Wasn't sure if it'd be too grim, but I liked it a lot even though a bit more violent than I might have preferred. John Lee proved a terrific narrator match!
I'm going to have to check this out. I'm working an ancient history theme this year; fiction is a fun adjunct to history books and John Lee is one of my favorite narrators.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #2511
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished Voyage to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne and narrated by Tim Curry. Quite excellent! Yeah, there are some things a modern reader might get annoyed by, but it is a great adventure! Now I'm inspired to watch the James Mason movie again.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #2512
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Just finished Voyage to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne and narrated by Tim Curry. Quite excellent! Yeah, there are some things a modern reader might get annoyed by, but it is a great adventure! Now I'm inspired to watch the James Mason movie again.
I really wish Tim Curry narrated more books, I loved his narration of the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix. I have both Journey to the Center of the Earth and A Christmas Carol by him. Good stuff.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #2513
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Is that Tim Curry as in "Rocky Horror Picture Show"? You know, movie theater at midnight, unfolding umbrellas inside? That brings back some fun memories. So is he a narrator now?
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #2514
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Is that Tim Curry as in "Rocky Horror Picture Show"? You know, movie theater at midnight, unfolding umbrellas inside? That brings back some fun memories. So is he a narrator now?
Yep. He's had a fairly successful film career over the years. I've liked him in a number of films. He's also done the Series of Unfortunate Events series.

A lot of actors also do work in voice over, and narration is a fairly natural extension of that. Jim Marsters of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame narrates the Dresden File series. Wil Wheaton, who is better known as a child actor (Star Trek: The Next Generation and Stand by Me), has a number of very good narrations.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #2515
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Bronson Pinchot is another actor who has branched out into regular audio narration (though perhaps not as much of a "household name").
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #2516
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
I just finished listening to the Audible version (narrator Jeffrey Kafer) of By Darkness Forged, the third book in the Seeker's Tales story arc from Nathan Lowell in his Solar Clipper series. This was a re-read, and I enjoyed it just as much in the Audible version as I had in the ebook version. Lots of loose ends get tied up, and one huge hint about where this might be going in the future, though Mr. Lowell has said he needs a break from Ishmael for at least a bit before he comes back to him.

If you haven't read this series, I **highly** recommend it. The very first is Quarter Share and it's available in pBook, eBook, podcast (read by the author), or Audible, read by Jeffrey Kafer. Pick your media of choice.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #2517
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I just finished listening to the Audible version (narrator Jeffrey Kafer) of By Darkness Forged, the third book in the Seeker's Tales story arc from Nathan Lowell in his Solar Clipper series. This was a re-read, and I enjoyed it just as much in the Audible version as I had in the ebook version. Lots of loose ends get tied up, and one huge hint about where this might be going in the future, though Mr. Lowell has said he needs a break from Ishmael for at least a bit before he comes back to him.

If you haven't read this series, I **highly** recommend it. The very first is Quarter Share and it's available in pBook, eBook, podcast (read by the author), or Audible, read by Jeffrey Kafer. Pick your media of choice.
I've got most of Lowell's books as ebooks. I really like them. I went ahead and purchased Quarter Share by Lowell. I'm sure it will be good.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #2518
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The whole ebook series is on Kindle Unlimited, with a $7.50 "add narration" price in the US. I've been contemplating snagging the audiobooks for a listen - I tore through the ebooks when I had KU.

I finally resubbed to Audible and grabbed the last Magicians book, The Magician's Land, which was a fitting end to the series. The whole series was very satisfying - much better prose than most fantasy, with fantasy influences almost entirely constrained to C.S. Lewis and classical mythology (okay, a dash of Harry Potter). It was in some sense a "dark, gritty reboot" of the Chronicles of Narnia for an adult audience, but also full of dry humor.

Now I'm a good ways into The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie, which is a fascinating, largely anthropological read so far (and deilogical, I suppose).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #2519
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing, narrated by David Pittu, is a suspense thriller that's demented, twisted, and just plain sick. I loved it!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #2520
Bennyfifeaudio
Bennyfifeaudio began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I just listened to Charles Dickens' Nicholas Nickelby. Just before that I listened to Cyrano De Bergerac's A Voyage to the Moon - which I think has the earliest reference to the idea of audiobooks I've heard of.

[self-promotion deleted]

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-10-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Bennyfifeaudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations