Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #226
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Is everybody happy now?! Non-Kindle owners now have access to Kindle books (some with a bit more work than others). How evil is that?
So for about the cost of a Kindle 1 on Ebay, you can buy an Iphone and buy Kindle books to read on a much smaller screen.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #227
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
So for about the cost of a Kindle 1 on Ebay, you can buy an Iphone and buy Kindle books to read on a much smaller screen.
Some people have this "thing" about the kindle not being worth it because it is not a PDA nor does it wash your windows.

The iPod Touch makes a good PDA. Although the "Apple" iPod does NOT do windows.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #228
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzj0 View Post
I should delete the +"*"?
See the line I posted. It should be EXCATLY that way.

Also, you'll need to see the other thread now to get the UDID of your Apple device so you can break the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #229
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Heck no, those of us who bought a Kindle just to have access to Kindle books so we could read them on the Kindle or our cell phone, and who use a Windows Mobile or other non-iPhone device, are extremely unhappy.
DeDRM the kindle books and load them on your WM device and use Ubook
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #230
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
DeDRM the kindle books and load them on your WM device and use Ubook
I think his point still applies...since the Kindle (or now, the iPod Touch or iPhone) is needed to purchase the cheaper books in the first place. (Until we see a WM Kindle client, anyway.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #231
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I think his point still applies...since the Kindle (or now, the iPod Touch or iPhone) is needed to purchase the cheaper books in the first place. (Until we see a WM Kindle client, anyway.)
I expect we will see a Windows Mobile and Android versions of this app. Maybe even Palm Pre.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #232
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Actually re-reading his comments, it sounds like he is perfectly happy with the status quo. If I didnt have an e-ink reader I would want a kindle as my main reading device and use my WinMo phone as my on the go device.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #233
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Actually re-reading his comments, it sounds like he is perfectly happy with the status quo. If I didnt have an e-ink reader I would want a kindle as my main reading device and use my WinMo phone as my on the go device.
Oh, I thought he was saying that he purchased the Kindle mainly in order to buy from the Kindle store -- which can now be done more cheaply by picking up an iPod Touch.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-06-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #234
DianaB
Voracious Reader
DianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the text looks great on the Kindle iPhone apps, very easy to read. It's great to read a few pages while I'm waiting at the Dentist's. But I still prefer the Kindle for longer reading sessions. Plus the battery life is so much better on the Kindle.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #235
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It would be very easy to have the battery die on you in the middle of reading a book on an iPod then it would be with the Kindle. And if you have an iPhone, good luck in using it as a phone unless you also carry around a battery extender.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #236
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Well it's more useful for people who already have an iPhone or iTouch--or people who want one for things other than ebooks.

It would be silly to buy an iPhone or iTouch primarily for reading, but it's a nice added feature on top of those devices main purpose.

Personally I wouldn't want to read on that small of a screen--but if I had one I'd probably use the kindle app occasionally since I'd have the iPhone or iTouch with me more than my Kindle 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Some people have this "thing" about the kindle not being worth it because it is not a PDA nor does it wash your windows.
Well it's just that ereaders are way too expensive for anyone that's not an avid reader. If you're just reading a handful of books a year like many people, then it's not worth it.

Just like an iTouch isn't worth it for someone that doesn't listen to music on the go much. They just sell better as our culture (at least younger generations) are much more into things like music, movies etc. than reading.

But that said, the ideal would be a nice device with a color e-ink touch screen that was a great reader, great web surfer, pda, music player etc. all wrapped up into one affordable device. But something like that is many years away. That would be more bang for the buck and cut down on the gadgets you need to lug around when traveling etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-07-2009 at 08:52 AM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #237
feisley
feisley began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I agree, its useful for people that have wanted to read Kindle books on other readers (that is if you feel comfortable stripping the DRM from your books on the iPod/iPhone)
feisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #238
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Well it's just that ereaders are way too expensive for anyone that's not an avid reader. If you're just reading a handful of books a year like many people, then it's not worth it.
Perfectly true and well said. If you feel a reader is to expensive for what it does, then you are right, for yourself. But, what applies to one person doesn't apply to all.

For example, I think a $100,000 car is to expensive when I can buy a $20,000 one that gets me where I want to go on the same roads in the same time frame.

To each his (or her) own.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #239
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Hard to argue with that. Why buy a unitasker when you don't do the "task?"

Quote:
Just like an iTouch isn't worth it for someone that doesn't listen to music on the go much. They just sell better as our culture (at least younger generations) are much more into things like music, movies etc. than reading.
That I can argue with. I have an iPod Touch that I use basically as a small portable internet tablet on my wi-fi network. I don't listen to music on it -- I have a Sansa Clip for on-the-go music and Squeezeboxes (also controlled via the iPod Touch) for at home.

And I'm not young. Well, I think I am; marketers disagree.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #240
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
That I can argue with. I have an iPod Touch that I use basically as a small portable internet tablet on my wi-fi network. I don't listen to music on it -- I have a Sansa Clip for on-the-go music and Squeezeboxes (also controlled via the iPod Touch) for at home.
That's also a to each their own thing.

I hate the internet on the touch/iPhone. It's fine for looking something up when on the go, but I'd never use it in the house or office where I have PCs and laptops. To hard to read many pages, hard to type etc. etc.

So I'd think someone wanting a tiny internet machine would be better off with one of those super tiny netbooks companies are putting out now.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle