Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question All's Well that Ends Well

What a pain in the neck. I've been trying to get all of my ebooks into Calibre for days. I have read articles and instructions about stripping the ebook so that it can be imported, I have downloaded Calibre add-on apps, downloaded apps like DeDRM, and still can't get some of my purchased Kindle ebooks into Calibre. How the heck do you make it work?

UPDATE: UPDATE: I just found this post, which led me to most of my Kindle books! Why isn't this information more readily available? This would have saved a lot of aggravation.

"Kindle.app now uses the Apple Sandbox functionality.
This means that it can only affect and see files in a subdirectory under ~/Library/Containers. The .azw files are in ~/Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle/Data/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content
This directory is shown in the Kindle app in Preferences->General as the value of Content Folder and it appears that this can be changed there."

Last edited by ChipAHoy; 09-07-2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add text
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What source are you using for the books? Are you downloading them using Kindle for PC, the Amazon website, or your Voyage?

If they're coming from the Voyage you may have some books in KFX format which may be the problem.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
What a pain in the neck. I've been trying to get all of my ebooks into Calibre for days. I have read articles and instructions about stripping the ebook so that it can be imported, I have downloaded Calibre add-on apps, downloaded apps like DeDRM, and still can't get some of my purchased Kindle ebooks into Calibre. How the heck do you make it work?
Generally, you describe the steps you are doing so we can try to figure out what went wrong...

Also, calibre can import books with DRM just fine. Of course, the book will still be DRMed, but it will be in calibre...
DeDRM tools are a different thing altogether (although still very useful).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
How the heck do you make it work?
You have a Voyage so you do not need to use Kindle for PC. You should download copies of your books to your PC individually using Amazon's Manage Your Content and Devices web page. Click the "..." button to the left of each book title and choose "Download & transfer via USB". (You are not actually going to transfer via USB, this is just a way to download the book.) If you can't figure out how to do this then ask for more help here.

Once downloaded you need to add them to calibre. I think drag-and-drop is the easiest method of doing so, but there is also an "Add books" button in calibre. (Of course you need to have a DRM removal plugin installed and configured first.)

If you get them into calibre but you get errors about DRM when you try to view or convert them then you should ask for help in the comments section of Apprentice Alf’s Blog.

Last edited by jhowell; 09-07-2016 at 03:52 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:14 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You have a Voyage so you do not need to use Kindle for PC.
You don't have to, perfectly true, but personally I think it's much easier to transfer books via K4PC than via the rather painful USB transfer facility of Amazon's website.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Thanks for the responses. I am using a Macbook, which I should have included in the post. I have been trying to read articles and understand the conversion process, DRM and DRMed, but I am not a code writer or programmer, and still find it a bit confusing.

For example, do these plugins for Calibre that I add just kick in automatically when needed? I see nowhere in Calibre where they have been added, after I went through the plugin list and chose some of them. DRMed seems like a separate app but the explanation sounds like it can be added to Calibre.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

method for adding new books

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What source are you using for the books? Are you downloading them using Kindle for PC, the Amazon website, or your Voyage?

If they're coming from the Voyage you may have some books in KFX format which may be the problem.
USUALLY, I add new books via the Kindle Voyager itself.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, Kindle PaperWhite
ChipAHoy, I'm on a Mac, if you can let me know where you're getting stuck I might be able to help out. I basically followed How To Geek.

Once setup I go to http://www.amazon.co.uk/mk although yours might be http://www.amazon.com/my, select the ... next to each book and click DOWNLOAD, it will appear in your DOWNLOADS location in Safari. Then simply drag the file into your Calibre window that's open, it should import the ebook and remove any DRM. I don't use the Kindle app for Mac, I bypass this. Once imported if you have it setup to automatically remove DRM it will remove it. If not you can right click on the ebook in Calibre and select CONVERT BOOKS and CONVERT MANUALLY on each one (or select a bunch and do multiple).

You can then right click on the book again and OPEN CONTAINING FOLDER and it will show you the converted ebooks. I always convert to MOBI and I can then use the Send to Kindle email service to put them back in my cloud or copy them manually to an ereader of my choosing.
DaveFalcon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I am using a Macbook, which I should have included in the post. I have been trying to read articles and understand the conversion process, DRM and DRMed, but I am not a code writer or programmer, and still find it a bit confusing.

For example, do these plugins for Calibre that I add just kick in automatically when needed? I see nowhere in Calibre where they have been added, after I went through the plugin list and chose some of them. DRMed seems like a separate app but the explanation sounds like it can be added to Calibre.
Yes, that was important information. The location for the Kindle desktop program (Kindle for PC/Mac) is different.

So it sounds like you found the location of the ebooks.
Note that you can also copy them off your Voyage directly... though this will not work for books that were delivered in KFX format (which has not yet been reverse-engineered -- this means we don't know how to convert it).

As for the DRM, the thirdparty calibre plugin is a "filetype" plugin so it will automatically do its thing on any books when you import them into calibre. Assuming the plugin is set up properly, which should be explained on Apprentice Alf's site (where you got the plugin from). It is pretty simple to do though.

The DeDRM plugin from Apprentice Alf is not available through the calibre Plugin Updater, so you will have to manually download and install the plugin.
You can see if the plugin is installed by going to Preferences ==> Plugins and checking the box to only see user-installed plugins.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I manage my Reader, I do so using Calibre. It just works better than any other way to manage my books on my device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

Thanks, your reply was very helpful

Hi Dave, thanks for taking the time to respond in such a detailed and helpful manner. Your instructions made the whole process easier for me. I think that I made it harder than it had to be, like, knowing just enough to be dangerous. I appreciate your assistance.

Peace,

Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFalcon73 View Post
ChipAHoy, I'm on a Mac, if you can let me know where you're getting stuck I might be able to help out. I basically followed How To Geek.

Once setup I go to http://www.amazon.co.uk/mk although yours might be http://www.amazon.com/my, select the ... next to each book and click DOWNLOAD, it will appear in your DOWNLOADS location in Safari. Then simply drag the file into your Calibre window that's open, it should import the ebook and remove any DRM. I don't use the Kindle app for Mac, I bypass this. Once imported if you have it setup to automatically remove DRM it will remove it. If not you can right click on the ebook in Calibre and select CONVERT BOOKS and CONVERT MANUALLY on each one (or select a bunch and do multiple).

You can then right click on the book again and OPEN CONTAINING FOLDER and it will show you the converted ebooks. I always convert to MOBI and I can then use the Send to Kindle email service to put them back in my cloud or copy them manually to an ereader of my choosing.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:34 AM   #12
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Hi Dave, thanks for taking the time to respond in such a detailed and helpful manner. Your instructions made the whole process easier for me. I think that I made it harder than it had to be, like, knowing just enough to be dangerous. I appreciate your assistance.

Peace,

Chip
Glad it helped Chip, have responded to your PM also, let me know if you get stuck further!
DaveFalcon73 is offline   Reply With Quote