Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Managing Collections

Hi,

I have got to the stage where my collections on my Kindle are not helping as I have a couple of collections with over 200 books in (I like keeping all my books on my Kindle)

What I am after is how anyone else organises there collections I currently have a collection for each Genre I read, but am thinking about splitting it up so for example Fantasy becomes the following

Fantasy - Contemporary
Fantasy - Epic
Fantasy - Eddings
Fantasy - Brooks
Fantasy - Feist ...

Could also add a Collections for large series

The only problem I can see with this is unless I keep a top level Collection if I don't know where I have stored a book I will have to look through a lot of Collections or use the Search (which on my Kindle Touch I have found to be slow and a not very helpful, would really like the ability to tell search to just look at titles, authors...)

Anyone who can give me ideas of how you manage your collections when you have a large amount of books on the device.

Thanks,

Gavin,
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I keep approximately 300 books on my kindle at a time, and I have my collections organized by genre also, with a few specialty collections thrown in there. But to make things a little easier, the 30 or so books I want to get to right away I have in a "1 - Now" collection so that it is on the first page at all times when using the Sort by Collection option. Right now with this breakdown, I have 8 pages worth of collections, but this is manageable for me because I have a general idea of where to find a book when I am looking for it, if not I just use the search feature to find it. To make this process easy to manage, I use a plugboard in Calibre which adds the genre to the front of the title.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Sorting or managing collections

Is it possible to sort the collections? I have a few collections that just appear alphabetically in the main page. I didn't find any way to manage or sort them.

Last edited by Indigo121; 10-28-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I no longer use collections. Like Nyn I find that the combination of a Calibre plugboard and the Kindle's search facility to be a better way to organise my books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo121 View Post
Is it possible to sort the collections? I have a few collections that just appear alphabetically in the main page. I didn't find any way to manage or sort them.
No they just sort alphabetically, you can get around this by entering a numbering system or special characters in the beginning of the name of the collection.
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

As searching has been mentioned is there anyway with the PW/PW 2013 to tell the search to just search Titles/Authors, what I find really frustraighting is that 99% of the time I want to search for a Title or Author and I get all the places in my books that the search criteria is found.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
As searching has been mentioned is there anyway with the PW/PW 2013 to tell the search to just search Titles/Authors, what I find really frustraighting is that 99% of the time I want to search for a Title or Author and I get all the places in my books that the search criteria is found.

It sounds like you're doing a search of the contents of a book, rather than the contents of the Kindle. If so, you need to back out of the title you're reading and than do your search.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Hi,

I have got to the stage where my collections on my Kindle are not helping as I have a couple of collections with over 200 books in (I like keeping all my books on my Kindle)

What I am after is how anyone else organises there collections I currently have a collection for each Genre I read, but am thinking about splitting it up so for example Fantasy becomes the following

Fantasy - Contemporary
Fantasy - Epic
Fantasy - Eddings
Fantasy - Brooks
Fantasy - Feist ...

Could also add a Collections for large series

The only problem I can see with this is unless I keep a top level Collection if I don't know where I have stored a book I will have to look through a lot of Collections or use the Search (which on my Kindle Touch I have found to be slow and a not very helpful, would really like the ability to tell search to just look at titles, authors...)

Anyone who can give me ideas of how you manage your collections when you have a large amount of books on the device.

Thanks,

Gavin,
Wondering if you could use Calibre and create Libraries with your genre as Library names? just a thought.
Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
gavinjb
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It sounds like you're doing a search of the contents of a book, rather than the contents of the Kindle. If so, you need to back out of the title you're reading and than do your search.
Don
Thanks, but thats what I do, e.g. Just did a search for "Shadow" (looking for Forgotten Realms - Shadows of Doom book) from the Home screen and it has given 96 pages of results and the results on the first 5 pages do not have the word shadow in the title or author.

Not sure if this is due to me owning the older Kindle Touch (currently waiting for my PW2 ) or that the search can't do what I want
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
gavinjb
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa65 View Post
Wondering if you could use Calibre and create Libraries with your genre as Library names? just a thought.
I already have libraries in Calibre for different Genres (or sub Genre's e.g. Fantasy - Forgotten Realms), but I only use Calibre for books I purchased from other Stores.

also not sure how this would help when transferring the books to the Kindle, I know you can get and plug in for Calibre which will automatically add books to collections, but to my understanding you need to jail break your Kindle first and I don't want to do that.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Last edited by Xen; 08-24-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
If yiu change the search criteria (on the left dropdown arrow) from All Text to My Items, it should only check the titles/authors of your books.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
If yiu change the search criteria (on the left dropdown arrow) from All Text to My Items, it should only check the titles/authors of your books.
I have the PW1. I don't have a choice of All Text, just My Items, Kindle Store, Dictionary, and Wikipedia. I just did a search of My Items for "mad " hoping to show Mad Magazine. Instead I get back 28 pages of results, the vast majority not having "mad " in part of the title or the author's name. It does show that there are 35 hits in the Complete Sherlock Holmes, vol II. LOL
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Searching on the PW 2013

Quote:
If you are in a book or not in a book on the PW 2013, after you tap the search icon a hot link appears to the left of the search panel as follows:

1. This Book
2. My Items
3. All Text
4. Kindle Store
5. Dictionary
6. Wikipedia

Tap # 2, My Items, and all the titles of your books will come up as you type in the search window. You will end up inside the chosen book at your furthest page read.

No Kindles other than the PW 2013 have that facility. Its strange that they left it out of the HDX 2013 as well.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-31-2013 at 12:50 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Ge you all seem to keep a lot of books on your kindle. I generally keep one maybe two there, I find that if I keep too many there than I will not concentrate on the novel that I am trying to read and will spend more time roaming the others that I have uploaded.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote