Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Samuel R. Delany - About Writing

I just ran across this yesterday (Dhalgren is one of my all time favorite books that cuts across boundaries - SF/Literary/Etc)

Quote:
Publication Date: April 16, 2013
Award-winning novelist Samuel R. Delany has written a book for creative writers to place alongside E. M. Forster's Aspects of the Novel and Lajos Egri's Art of Dramatic Writing. Taking up specifics (When do flashbacks work, and when should you avoid them? How do you make characters both vivid and sympathetic?) and generalities (How are novels structured? How do writers establish serious literary reputations today?), Delany also examines the condition of the contemporary creative writer and how it differs from that of the writer in the years of Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and the high Modernists. Like a private writing tutorial, About Writing treats each topic with clarity and insight. Here is an indispensable companion for serious writers everywhere.
http://www.amazon.com/About-Writing-...amuel+r+delany

I've only read the intro and first chapter so far but he seems to be making a significant distinction between wanna-be writers and 'serious' writers, those with 'talent' and those without....

...anyone can write a story, it takes talent to write a good story.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having read about half of this today, I'd say I'm not much impressed. There is a feel of arrogance about it as some of the reviews indicated. Also though many of these were written at vastly different times over the past half century I also seem to get a sense of frustration wrt his own writing....or maybe it's just me....
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Having read about half of this today, I'd say I'm not much impressed. There is a feel of arrogance about it as some of the reviews indicated. Also though many of these were written at vastly different times over the past half century I also seem to get a sense of frustration wrt his own writing....or maybe it's just me....
If I recall correctly, and maybe I don't, Delaney had a reputation for being arrogant and even rude in his opinions. Still I liked his books quite a bit back in the day.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
kennyc

There is good info for writers but not that different than from others....
Old 11-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
So what does he say about flashbacks?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
kennyc

Dont do it
Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
kennyc

Read pretty much the rest of this today. Many good tips and thoughts, but still a bit focused elsewhere I think.

The thing that is bugging me and that this book has brought out is, 'Why the hell haven't we seen any new work from him?" I truly get the feeling that he is either frustrated with his writing or has put it aside and I really don't believe he's put it aside based on what I know of him and his work/life, even from the passages in this book. I get the distinct impression that he's somewhat living in the past and he fears any new work being compared to his past work.

Of course I may be completely wrong. I still love Dhalgren though! Still at the top of my best novels list.