Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #121
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Will try and get on the dev channel tomorrow, Things are not going well.
I'm currently hoping someone in the UK may be able to help me out. :S
Sorry, not there today.

My TelCo is letting my keep an Internet connection up only 10 minutes at a time today (weather problems for them).

Hmm....
You may have lost your lock on #2, but the position #1 for doing this without soldering is still open.
We will help you solve this (somehow).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #122
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Are you about tonight for the non solder version knc1, at least to explain the process?
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #123
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you about tonight for the non solder version knc1, at least to explain the process?
Duh....
Still working on that.
Have several ideas, but none tested out yet.

Can you take a photo of those connection points as they now exist?
Need to see what I have to deal with (pulled pads?).
Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #124
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The connection points are as new.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #125
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The connection points are as new.
That is nice to know.

Is there any way you could take a nice hi-res macro photo of that pad area for me? As 'square on' as you can please.

I do not own a Kpw2 - it would help to have that photo which I can take measurements against.
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #126
tidklaas
tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi all,

my PW2 arrived last week and it kind of bothered me that I couldn't put my favourite screensaver on it. So, after reading this thread, I decided to give rooting via the serial console a try.

Disassembly was surprisingly easy:
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW2_rooting_01.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	113428

Since I do not want to disassemble the device again whenever I need access to the console, I looked for a way to make the serial port accessible from outside. There is just enough space between the button and the LED cover to squeeze in a 1.27mm header connector with four ports. I had to saw halfway through the connector at the second hole from the bottom in order to slip it on to the PCB. Closing this hole with epoxy also makes the connector asymmetric.

Name:	PW2_rooting_02.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	113429

Next I had to connect the two data pins at the top of the connector to the RX/TX pads on the PCB. Enamelled wire comes in real handy here. The third contact at the bottom of the connector is wired to GND under the PCB.

Name:	PW2_rooting_03.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	113430

First test after soldering. To my great surprise, everything worked and I could play around with u-boot.

Name:	PW2_rooting_04.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	113431

Now came the really hard part, fitting everything into the housing again. I had to remove one of the straps holding the button and carve a slot so the connector would be accessible from outside.

Name:	PW2_rooting_04a.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	113434

From here on it was easy sailing. After figuring out how to get into the diagnostics system, I first made backups of all other partitions via the user storage, then re-enabled root login on mmcblk0p1. Once I had root access on the main system, I was finally able to do what what I came for in the first place:

Name:	PW2_rooting_05.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	113432

Many thanks to knc1 for the metric ton of information about the layout of the embedded Linux system given in this thread and also to npoland, who demonstrated how easy the serial console can be accessed.

- Tido
tidklaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #127
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
BRAVO!!!
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #128
knc1
Going Viral

That looks like a great little bit of mechanical handy work.

Almost like it was meant to be there.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #129
npoland
1st KPW2 JB
npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: PW2
Vary very nice work!
npoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #130
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

Will disassemble again and take a pic as soon as I can knc1, sorry being pulled in all directions by friends and family expecting me to fix other things.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #131
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Will disassemble again and take a pic as soon as I can knc1, sorry being pulled in all directions by friends and family expecting me to fix other things.
Did not know you had put it back together.
Do not take it apart just for a picture, I can use the one npoland posted.

Check out this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=126
Old 10-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #132
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

Sorry, force of habit, anything I take apart gets put back together as soon after as I'm able, even if I'm only stripping it for a part number so I can order a replacement. That way everything is nice and tidily together.

Plus I, unlike everyone else here it would seem, use my kindle on a daily basis to read.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #133
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Plus I, unlike everyone else here it would seem, use my kindle on a daily basis to read.
Can a Kindle be used for that?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #134
tidklaas
tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.tidklaas put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle PW2
Thanks for the comments. The hardest part really was figuring out where to put the header and then cutting and sanding it down to actually fit in there.

Now I'll have some exploring to do on the embedded Linux
tidklaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #135
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Any news about kual running on PW2?
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote