Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Paperwhite 2nd Gen

Hello Guys and Girls,

I am asking this in this forum rather than the normal Amazon Kindle forum because it is about future development especially with the way they keep obfuscating things making life hell for you.
What with the fact Amazon will shortly be releasing the new 2nd Gen Paperwhite I am considering purchasing one.
Will any of you Dev's be getting the 2nd Gen?
Will any of you definitely be at least attempting to developing for it?
If you're not, what are you likely to be moving to?
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Hello Guys and Girls,

I am asking this in this forum rather than the normal Amazon Kindle forum because it is about future development especially with the way they keep obfuscating things making life hell for you.
What with the fact Amazon will shortly be releasing the new 2nd Gen Paperwhite I am considering purchasing one.
Will any of you Dev's be getting the 2nd Gen?
Will any of you definitely be at least attempting to developing for it?
If you're not, what are you likely to be moving to?
I am seriously considering getting my paperback book collection out of storage.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still collecting 1st editions. But I couldn't live without my Kindle, it's such a brilliant tool.
Trying to carry those hard back books around in such a way as to have access to them all at once isn't really an option.
It is also a great pity you feel like that knc1 Especially with some of the fun things I've seen you working on recently.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I'm not going to get one in the near future.

Concerning development for the PW2: Of course, this remains to be seen, but judging from their behavior in the past, Amazon will again have tried to lock down the PW2 as much as they can. Unless one of the previous firmwares can be installed on it (which I doubt), or one of the previous jailbreak vectors works on it (which I doubt even more), the first and most difficult task to start with will be to find a jailbreak for that thing. Which may well take a long time. Before that is done, there won't be any development for it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My mood will probably pass, but it may take some time.

Probably after enough time passes to see what things Amazon does to all three touch devices in the way of 'feature sets'.

In the marketing leaks to date, the only thing I noticed (of interest to myself) is they have fixed the touch screen, sensitivity problem.
Something that bugged me, but not enough to fix the ts driver myself.

Last edited by knc1; 09-11-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

I was aware of the need to jailbreak it and that it wasn't necessarily going to be easy.
I work in IT and I root (essentially this is jailbreaking for android for those who don't know) any phone I get and I read up on what was done to gain access to the things necessary to compromise the system (even if I wouldn't even have the first idea as to where to start).
I was just checking which of you would be interested in developing for it once a jailbreak was achieved.

knc1
They've also noticably increased the resolution and apparently improved the contrast no end.
^taken from a review of it I read somewhere
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post

Concerning development for the PW2: Of course, this remains to be seen, but judging from their behavior in the past, Amazon will again have tried to lock down the PW2 as much as they can. Unless one of the previous firmwares can be installed on it (which I doubt), or one of the previous jailbreak vectors works on it (which I doubt even more), the first and most difficult task to start with will be to find a jailbreak for that thing. Which may well take a long time. Before that is done, there won't be any development for it.
I have been wondering if the recent "de-brick" problems are signs of progressive engineering changes being introduced on the way towards the PW2.

Often with a mass produced product, things which require manufacturing changes (such as board changes) will be introduced over time.

It just isn't practical to shut down 100% a "model 1" production and start a "model 2" production at a single point in time.
The logistics chain supporting the manufacturing process is too long.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post

Well I knew there was a good reason not to get the PW2. The best reason to use the PW1 is with Koreader + epubs.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'll probably end up getting one, but probably not at launch. But as was said, I wouldn't hold my breath for a jailbreak, given the current state of things...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I've pre-ordered a PW2 but unfortunately I'm no dev so I will just have to hope that The Team can work their magic at some point otherwise using the thing is going to be a far less pleasant experience.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If a jailbreak is found for the PW2, is it likely that Amazon will block it in a later firmware update? Sony did that with the T2. Did Amazon do that with the PW1? The reason I ask is because it might be worth getting an earlier PW2 before Amazon plug up the holes.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Rizla: Nearly every firmware release, be it major or minor, and that since FW 2.x.

The fact that the PW1 could be jailbroken on release day was kind of a fluke in that trend, but, hey ;D.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-01-2013 at 01:29 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Rizla: Nearly every firmware release, be it major or minor, and that since FW 2.x.

The fact that the PW1 could be jailbroken on release day was kind of a fluke in that trend, but, hey ;D.
So if I get an early PW2, apply a jail-break, can I then stop the device updating the firmware?

Personally I do think a jailbreak will be found. There are just so many people who will be working on it. But I do think it'll get plugged quick, which is why I'd consider picking one up before it happens.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
so many people?

I can think of 6 maybe...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
so many people?

I can think of 6 maybe...
Me, I am waiting for those teardown videos / pictures that show that Amazon left access to the serial port.

Without access to the serial port - it will just be an 8oz blob of hard to dispose of "Industrial Design Art".

- - - - - -

On a happier note, if the Kpw2 can not be jailbroken, then the price of the used Kpw1's that can be jailbroken should increase.

And to address an earlier question that was raised:
Can Kpw1 firmware be installed on the Kpw2?
Answer: No (different serial number series)

Last edited by knc1; 10-01-2013 at 01:49 PM.