Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
seglare80
seglare80 began at the beginning.

Device: epub
Wanted: Company who makes Epub

Hi!

I´m a writer in Sweden who needs a company / or a person to help me with my Epub conversion.

I have heard that companys in India are cheep and good to work with?

Please send me a mail to bhagwanltd@live.com

Best Regards // Mattias
seglare80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
MR member Hitch has a company offering eBook production services...
http://www.booknook.biz
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
seglare80

Thank´s

Hi!

Thank you for your kind answer but l need a company in India so it´s cheap. No EU or US prices please.

Best Regards Mattias
Old 03-07-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And I have heard that companies who are cheap and good to work with are a contradiction in terms; as they say, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Indian companies can afford to be cheap because the service they give is garbage.

Hitch will provide good service, and Indian companies will provide cheapness, but no one will offer both.

I'm sure your book deserves quality attention.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
seglare80

well

I have a quality company in New York who makes fantastic Epub. But they cost 1-1,5 dollar per page.

l need a quality company who make conversion for 0,3-0,5 dollar per page at the most.

//M
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Why not just buy Atlantis Word Processor if you don't want to spend much money. $10 USD with a coupon found on the internet. It takes Word, RTF and text files. Or run it through Calibre, which is free.

You might find the Indian cheap companies will run the file through Calibre and charge you the low price you like, even though you could do that yourself for free.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seglare80 View Post
I have a quality company in New York who makes fantastic Epub. But they cost 1-1,5 dollar per page.

l need a quality company who make conversion for 0,3-0,5 dollar per page at the most.

//M
If they were a quality company, they wouldn't charge 30-50¢ per page...

That is only enough money to buy you the convenience of not having to install calibre and watch the progress wheel spin yourself. Like mrmikel said.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If they were a quality company, they wouldn't charge 30-50¢ per page...

That is only enough money to buy you the convenience of not having to install calibre and watch the progress wheel spin yourself. Like mrmikel said.
First, my sincere thanks to both @AnemicOak and @eschwartz for remembering me.

Now, seglare80: I don't know what type of source materials you have, so I can't speak to whether or not $1-$1.50/page is a good or crap price. Without knowing more, it's impossible to say. If you're providing them with Word (or word-processing of any kind) files, and they're not very complicated, that seems QUITE high. OTOH, if those are exceedingly complex books--tons of bulleted, numbered lists, images, tables, lots of clean-up, maybe it's a decent price.

However, I must tell you, $0.30/page is scraping the bottom of even the Indian barrel; most companies there start around that price for converting even Word files (per page) to ePUB, never mind something more complex. The average price for a moderate ePUB page is $0.65-$0.80, and more for complex pages. IN India.

I recall that I had a company in Russia that send me some PDF pages to quote; when I returned the pricing, they were incensed, and informed me that they demanded pricing of $0.10/page. When I got done laughing, I told them to download Calibre, so-long and so-luck.

I've seen companies--a LOT of them--that charge prices at/near ours, and invariably, I get their ePUB product from (unhappy) customers who ask us to "fix" the book, and, sure enough, when I open the ePUB, I'm faced with a boatload of Calibre-named Styles. I have told the story here often of the guy who ripped the elderly man off for $6K for a print "and ebook" project, who used Calibre to make two ebooks, who knew so little that he didn't even know that having each sentence as a paragraph was "bad." This isn't Calibre's fault; it's the fault of people who think that ebook-formatting is clicking a button. It's not, as the regulars here know.

There are a lot of uber-bad converters out there. I agree with the others; for that type of money, use Calibre and edit it yourself, or buy AWP and make it that way. I haven't seen $0.10/$0.30/page from PDF (or even from Word) even from the new Chinese or Indonesian companies. And certainly not from any Indian companies. You can try Fiverr, I suppose. There are certainly a lot of faux-Mobi converters there working for $5, and if it doesn't work out, it's not a lot of money.

Best of luck to you,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #9
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
@seglare80
Counterquestion: Do you want be payed for your work, as you want to pay? Please give yourself an honest answer.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I can do that for that price, if I get to choose the page size
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I can do that for that price, if I get to choose the page size
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or by the word, if the words are like an or to! No antidisestablishmentarianism allowed!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone

Doing the PDF I am working on now, at 14 hours a week, it will probably take a couple of months, minimum. The footnotes fill half of each page, making it unreadable as it stands. I had to copy the underlying text of the epub, put it into AWP, publish it, then bring it into Calibre editor to work on because of all the odd colors and text sizes. I also had to fetch maps that were not brought over either, although the pictures were.
Oh, that doesn't include the RaNSoM note text that has be corrected by hand, either. And expect the Chinese earning nothing to correct idiomatic English?

Hitch and her crew earn every penny they get and they probably don't get enough half the time.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Another case of a company wanting to sell their product at top dollar but not wanting to pay their supply chain a living wage.

To all prospective customers:
Offer this company 30% of what they are asking for this book and see what they think of that
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #15
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by seglare80 View Post
I´m a writer in Sweden who needs a company / or a person to help me with my Epub conversion.

I have heard that companys in India are cheep and good to work with?

Please send me a mail to bhagwanltd@live.com
Quite peculiar choice of email address, for a guy in Sweden, asking about Indian publishing services, given the fact that BHAGWAN LTD looks very much like an Indian company name.

Anyhow, I just second the previous observations about cost vs. quality (or the lack thereof).
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, conversion to epub