Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #301
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I had a look inside of a Kepub. It has an unencrypted epub shell, but each of the chapter html/xhtml files is encrypted.

For DRMless Kepubs, Kobo has very nicely loaded some as sample books in the upgrade to 2.0.0.

In the .Kobo\kepub directory, 1a7e9e17-6248-459c-a1a0-1458deaa7676 is Mission Fox, a Kepub without DRM. Just append a .zip to the filename and it will unzip just like an epub.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #302
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3g3m0n View Post
Then again maybe it's possible to just rename a epub to kepub... That wouldn't explain the speed difference (unless the slowness was deliberate attempt to discourage sideloading, or if the kepub was being rendered based on its extension using a different engine).
You're correct, Kepubs are rendered with a different engine than sideloaded ePubs. From my memory, different DRM schemes are the reason that the rendering is split. (Kobo DRM vs. Adobe DRM)

Months back, when some of the sharing & annotation options hadn't been ported to the ePub engine yet, there were people who renamed their side loaded books to .kepub to trigger the Kobo engine's rendering without issue. (Though of course for this to work, the book would need to be DRM-free)

I haven't tried renaming yet, since that would mean my annotations and highlights would vanish from the device (though I can save them with Calibre) but I might soon, since the page turns are veeerrry slow.
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert