Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #166
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I just upgraded. I noticed two things right away:

- black seems to be blacker, nice
- I have the small top margin

The small top margin thing appears in my side-loaded epub, the one I'm reading now. I haven't looked at any other books and I haven't tested anything else. I'm contemplating going back to .16 because the margin really annoys me. Not just because it's out of balance with the bottom and it's troublesome aesthetically, but also because the the margin is so small that the top line of text is now hidden in the shadow from the KT's top part of the plastic casing.

Thanks for the update though.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #167
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
New to Kobo but new firmware is better

I've had my kobo touch for a week now, as a replacement for a 3-year old cool-er that finally developed dementia...

I was very unhappy with it initially - the page turns were too slow and the touch screen was unresponsive.

Happily, the new firmware version has made it much better, and much more responsive.
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #168
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
Finally got mine to sync but only using the internal memory.

I am very suspect as to the capabilities of the device to use a full sd card. I believe that the image parsing will fill the internal memory before reaching the end of a 16gb as card.

Now that I have some books loaded the device seems more responsive, screen refresh is a lot better.

I'm having major issues getting the device to acknowledge it has to resync the content. The USB ejection does not detect for about 10-20 min.

I can only load files in small batches which is irritating but tolerable.

I really wish they would allow a forced content processing option.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #169
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioioib View Post
Finally got mine to sync but only using the internal memory.

I am very suspect as to the capabilities of the device to use a full sd card. I believe that the image parsing will fill the internal memory before reaching the end of a 16gb as card.
I had a problem with sideloading (Processing Content freeze) after the upgrade - but I think I've traced it to a hinky, cheap-arse 4G microSD card. I went and bought a name-brand 2G one, and things went smooth as butter after that. 2G is plenty big enough for me, so I'm satisfied for now.

However, it would be great if the Kobo was smart enough to break itself out of these sorts of freezes, and give a more appropriate error message.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #170
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
about tap problems...i don't know if it can help for you but if you try to tap at 90° with your finger it will be better and less tap lost, i think it depends by tap area too extended
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #171
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
i don't know if it is a bug of kobo... adding & removing pdf files with calibre leave into the folder images few files

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_N3_LIBRARY_SHELF.parse d 2kb

one for every pdf deleted and not replaced
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #172
Rainer Zenz
Groupie
Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch/Glo
A question: Could the top margin problem be fixed by a hack or plugin? This is all greek for me, but maybe it's possible.
Rainer Zenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #173
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
Quote:
Could the top margin problem be fixed by...
converting the epub or pdf in calibre to a specifically Kobo layout? ...If you side-loaded the ebook.
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #174
immsm
I'll never grow up.
immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch edition
I cannot make my Touch upgrade to this new firmware. I have tried syncing it wirelessly and with it connected to the computer. All it does is say Preparing to Update and then goes to Updating Reading Life and it takes forever there. Any suggestions about how to make it upgrade to 1.9.17?
immsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #175
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you have an SD card? If so, try removing it and doing the upgrade one more time.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #176
immsm
I'll never grow up.
immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch edition
I got it working now. I had to do a factory reset and then it automatically updated.
immsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #177
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Bad luck for me, or not focusing on their knitting for kobo?
I'd put this one in the not focusing on their knitting basket.

I have no idea how any testing process didn't find that the top margins were gone. Especially seeing how the release took 2 1/2 months.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #178
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The screen freezing problem has not been fixed in 1.9.17.

Every now and then (enough that it could be considered rarely), the touch freezes, in that touching the screen does nothing.

Usually when this happens it puts the highlight selection cursor on the screen, around (under?) a word that is nowhere near any touch, and after a momentary touch (if any at all).

Usually, putting it into sleep mode and back will clear the problem, although it took 2 attempts at this this time.

This problem was happening in 1.9.16. I'm not sure if it was happening prior to that release.

The next time this happens, I'm going to see what pressing the Home button does (if I remember...)
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #179
murg
No Comment

The managing of the handles during text highlighting has improved greatly.

It is now easy to move the handles to a line above or below (it used to be difficult). Sometimes, though, the handles move completely off the original line, while dragging one side.

In addition, it is impossible to have the highlighted words include the last puncuation in a paragraph as the last character in the selection. This was a problem in 1.9.16 (and maybe before).

It also has problems moving the selection to the letters on the left margin. I think it is looking at the right edge of the fingerprint to position the handles, so you really have to make an effort to select near the left margin, while the right margin works just fine. This was a problem in 1.9.16 (and maybe before).
Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #180
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I have no idea how any testing process didn't find that the top margins were gone. Especially seeing how the release took 2 1/2 months.
Well, like most of the bigger bugs with previous firmware versions, this bug isn't showing up for everyone at once. All my books are sideloaded, yet I haven't come across this issue (yet), and I know at least a few other people haven't had the top margin problem. It's entirely possible that it just didn't come up with any of the testers.

I wouldn't say incredibly likely, but it's possible.