Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.17

Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.17 and desktop 2.1.7 will be released shortly.

Kobo Touch:

• Improved recognition of page-turn taps
• Home screen correctly remembers your carousel choice
• Improved sync performance
• Fixed rendering of menu items where a word is highlighted
• Fixed trouble connecting to Wi-Fi in some cases
• Option to share your reading activity to Facebook Timeline
• SD card performance has been improved
• Other stability and performance improvements

Desktop:
• Improved Syncing Performance
• Hover over recommendations for more information
• Improved syncing of annotations between eReaders and Desktop software
• Fixed issues with navigating to search results
• Various bug fixes and performance improvements

As usual, special thanks to the beta testers for their feedback!
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
oooh exciting!
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.17 and desktop 2.1.7 will be released shortly.

Kobo Touch:<snip>
Nothing there to tempt me into allowing advertising on my Touch or to allow it to connect to the 'Net and send detailed information on everything I do with the device to Google, so I'm staying at 1.9.14.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Nothing there to tempt me into allowing advertising on my Touch or to allow it to connect to the 'Net and send detailed information on everything I do with the device to Google, so I'm staying at 1.9.14.
The improved page turns detection and better CD card support is VERY tempting.
I have it installed now.. Hard to say if things have improved yet, only had it for 30 mins.

You can change the recommendations to only show your shortlist (although you can't remove that bar completely.

Someone posted a hack to stop it posting stats back to the google. I have that installed.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
will be released shortly...1 day? 1 week? 1 month?
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
will be released shortly...1 day? 1 week? 1 month?
Desktop is already there, so I guess the firmware will be there, too (especially since danskmacabre wrote "I have it installed now.. Hard to say if things have improved yet, only had it for 30 mins.")

Not enough of new features to tempt me to update just yet.

No shelves, no horizontal tap areas...

Maybe I'll update next time I have to charge (hoping that the plugin will work with .17 until then).
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Next firmware update should solely be dedicated to getting rid of the book recommendations etc down the bottom of the home screen
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I tried syncing the Kobo over wifi and through the desktop app and no update yet. Desktop app updated ok.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
petemjones
petemjones began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50V, Literati, Kobo Touch
One of my Kobos updated to 1.9.17 through the desktop as it was previously loaded with 1.9.14, but the one loaded with 1.9.16 didn't. Strange???
petemjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe the issue lies with having the 1.9.16 firmware because that's what I have on my touch as well. At least I know it's not just me having this issue.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Next firmware update should solely be dedicated to getting rid of the book recommendations etc down the bottom of the home screen
It ain't going to happen because someone in management, marketing, or whatever told the developers to put that recommendation list in there. And they told the developers to do that because they believe that it will sell more books. Even threatening and following up on a refusal to buy Kobo devices is unlikely to change their minds since Kobo doesn't care about customers who won't buy books from them. Simply put, there isn't enough money to be made from that demographic.

So the best option is to simply use one of the workarounds or hacks.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Maybe the issue lies with having the 1.9.16 firmware because that's what I have on my touch as well. At least I know it's not just me having this issue.
There is no issue. Upgrades are being throttled; it will be available to everyone in a couple of hours.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
RareBird
Addict

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. The update is proceeding right now. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Just updated my Touch to the new firmware, with no apparent problems.

I was hoping that the "Improved recognition of page-turn taps" line might help resolve an issue I have on my unit, but it hasn't. Sadly, the Library navigator bar at the bottom remains intransigent. Anything past page 1 in my Library remains inaccessible, since the bar doesn't respond to touch.

Oh, and I honestly, really could not care LESS about being able to tell people on Facebook what I'm reading, let alone use my Kobo to do it. What a waste of development time and effort when other features are still pending.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 03-16-2012 at 09:28 PM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I have the new firmware now. Page turns seem both more responsive and faster, to a pleasurable degree, actually. No double-tap problems yet.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote