Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #61
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Absolutely. It would have to work on them all. Is every Kobo device wifi enabled?

Dropbox and public folders would work but that would probably be too convoluted to non-technical users, and the beauty of the Amazon system is its seamlessness. I'm not sure. I guess Amazon has the advantage of massive server infrastructure. I like the way that you can email a book to your Kindle account and sync it to every device. I think Amazon is the only one to nail this function so far.

Last edited by jamadams; 11-06-2012 at 03:14 PM.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #62
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
When the app has been suspended for 5 minutes or longer, we will check for an updated cloud bookmark, and this will cause the refresh you see, as potentially you may be in a different position in the book...
I just purchased a Nexus 7, and find it interesting that the Kobo app on Android does not have this annoying refresh problem.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #63
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Absolutely. It would have to work on them all. Is every Kobo device wifi enabled?

Dropbox and public folders would work but that would probably be too convoluted to non-technical users, and the beauty of the Amazon system is its seamlessness. I'm not sure. I guess Amazon has the advantage of massive server infrastructure. I like the way that you can email a book to your Kindle account and sync it to every device. I think Amazon is the only one to nail this function so far.
The original Kobo reader wasn't WiFi enabled, so you could only sync with the desktop app.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #64
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
I just purchased a Nexus 7, and find it interesting that the Kobo app on Android does not have this annoying refresh problem.
v5.8 should improve things. As for why Android does not have the problem, it is probably loading books in a different way to iOS, though I could be wrong.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #65
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v5.8.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v5.8.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
★ Bug fixes and performance improvements

New in 5.8:

★ Newly re-designed iPhone reading menus
★ Re-designed custom shelf management on iPad
★ Greatly improved chapter loading times
★ Improved support for read-along content
★ Home page layout optimized for iPhone 5 & new iPod Touch
★ Better control over which activities you share with friends
★ Better handling of bookmarks when reading across multiple devices
★ Significant stability improvements & bug fixes
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #66
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v5.9 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v5.9 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
★ Rate and review books in your library

★ Improved performance for illustrated books

★ Re-designed book overview, table of contents, annotations, and per-book stats pages (iPad)

★ Brought back the ability to lock the screen in landscape orientation (iPhone/iPod Touch)

★ Stability improvements and bug fixes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #67
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v5.9.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v5.9.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
★ Redesigned table of contents and annotations pages for the iPhone and iPod touch
★ View your reading stats for individual books on the iPhone and iPod touch
★ Community stats are now available on book overview pages
★ Improved Twitter integration
★ Stability improvements & bug fixes
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #68
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v5.10 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v5.10 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
★ Added support for Japanese content
★ Faster and more responsive reading experience for comics
★ Changing font sizes works even better than before
★ Bug fixes and performance improvements
Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #69
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v5.11 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
• Redesigned dictionary feature which now conveniently displays as you select a word
• Bug fixes
Old 05-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #70
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Umm, I saw some comments regarding the Android app, can we make comments/requests for the Android version here too? One thing that I miss is in the library section the ability to look at only my complete books like there is also a section for only previews (since I have quite a few samples on my "to check out" list and they clutter things up a bit).

I can understand the difficulty in setting up a separate Android app thread or even taking a lot of android app requests here as the iOS version is more advanced and might already take into account/have fixed/have added features which will hopefully trickle down to the android version, making android observations obsolete. But I do have one more observation, the dictionary engine on Android is inferior to the Kobo Glo. When I was testing out the dictionary I highlighted "enemies" and it said there were no results for it and showed me the definition for enmity or some such (the google and wikipedia windows did work correctlly and show definitions for enemy).

As for the comments that it would be great to sync sideloaded ebooks, I personally would love it as well and have to say that I'd personally be fine with sideloading the books myself. Maybe the devices/apps could use hash tag info to verify that it is the same file/book and then undergo the syncing process for pages (and hopefully annotations too).
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #71
Sharkus
Evangelist

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. It's always appreciated.

If someone wishes to setup a similar thread for Android then I don't think it'd be a problem, it might actually make more sense
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #72
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v5.12 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
  • Our new reading gestures let you pinch to re-size text and swipe up/down with two fingers to adjust brightness
  • Quick Flip now gives you more control when skipping pages and chapters
  • The main navigation menu has an updated, cleaner design
Old 09-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #73
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
My app wiped all my library....
Really annoying. I'm running 5.12 on IOS6 on an ipad2, not upgraded to IOS7 yet.
I opened my app nd watched all my books disappear. I updated again and nothing, no books. They are all available to download but my nicely organised library is gone. I had many books archived or on shelves and now I have to start again. What is up with the app? I don't want to work at fixing my library to have to same happen again. After the mess the Kobo website is in this is yet another nail in the coffin.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #74
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I opened up the app and it happily told me it had erased all my books to save on space. Glad I wasn't out with my wifi iPad wanting to read something!
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #75
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spersephone View Post
I opened up the app and it happily told me it had erased all my books to save on space. Glad I wasn't out with my wifi iPad wanting to read something!
IIRC this is an Apple issue and I'm not sure that Kobo has ever found a way to get around it (i.e. Apple OS is forcing this and Kobo hadn't found a way to stop it). There are likely some threads buried in the forum here about it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote