Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
jlutes
Connoisseur
jlutes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Shared Library?

This may be referenced somewhere but I sure haven't been able to find it...
I have a file server I am saving my library to. My goal was to hopefully be able to access my books from my desktop, my laptop, and allow my wife to access them from her laptop at the same time. I assume this is possible?

Seanette and I suffer from the same Murphy affliction. I saw her post right after I posted this and it may answer my question...more research on my part.

Perhaps if there are multiple (new) people answering this question it may be one to add into the FAQ or user manual?

Last edited by jlutes; 07-18-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: may have found answer...
jlutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
With the current database implementation, only one copy of Calibre can access a library at a time; all other copies of Calibre need to be shut down!

However, you can access the material stored in Calibre via the Content Server (Preferences | Sharing | Sharing over net) that will allow you to use a web browser to access the books, and then download them.

Development seems to proceeding towards a new database backend for Calibre that should allow multiple computers to run Calibre sharing a single library.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
jlutes
Connoisseur

Strange...

I have had 2 different computers with Calibre running on them pointed to the same directory/database and haven't had any trouble. Is this something that may have been recently changed, works but causes corruption behind the scenes?
I did notice I got a database locked message when I tried to log into a 3rd machine...
Old 07-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutes View Post
I have had 2 different computers with Calibre running on them pointed to the same directory/database and haven't had any trouble.
Count yourself lucky.

If both computers were updating things at the same time it is very possible for them to step on each others changes and loose entries or corrupt the database.

Currently calibre is designed to be accessed directly by only one computer at a time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
I do use 2 shared libraries on different computers.
There are no problems UNLESS you do not open them on different pc's at the same time.

So if you use it on pc A, be sure it is not open on B.
If you do it like that, no problems should be expected....
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
jlutes
Connoisseur

Thanks for the info but could I get some more clarification please? I assume this limitation only applies to editing the database and not to reading? Am I correct in assuming that multiple computers can read the db simultaneously? Sorry, but my DB experience is more along the lines of Oracle, MySQL, etc.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutes View Post
Thanks for the info but could I get some more clarification please? I assume this limitation only applies to editing the database and not to reading? Am I correct in assuming that multiple computers can read the db simultaneously? Sorry, but my DB experience is more along the lines of Oracle, MySQL, etc.
Calibre (GUI) does not have a 'Read only' mode.

If you want to browse and read books, use the Content server feature.
No limits.

You will need a reader program.
You can use the e-book-Viewer that gets installed along with Calibre or use Firefox plugins or Adobe Digital editions.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast
Philip36Fld began at the beginning.

I am brand spanking new to Calibre and wish to allow for multiple people on one computer using one Calibre library. On Windows XP can the Calibre library be placed in a shared file folder to allow for more than one user on the system accessing it at different times? In order to identify multiple subsets of books being read, does Calibre have the option of multiple user id's?
Philip36Fld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
jlutes
Connoisseur

Forget I said anything - I misread your question and thought you were asking about multiple Calibre logins/users - not Windows users.

Last edited by jlutes; 08-31-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip36Fld View Post
I am brand spanking new to Calibre and wish to allow for multiple people on one computer using one Calibre library. On Windows XP can the Calibre library be placed in a shared file folder to allow for more than one user on the system accessing it at different times? In order to identify multiple subsets of books being read, does Calibre have the option of multiple user id's?
Yes, the Library can be anywhere.
All you need to take care is that 2 Logged on users (fast user switching) DO NOT have/leave the library open.

The other idea is Use the Content server access for those that do not need to administer (just: browse and get). The Library belongs to a single user, but can be browsed by multiple users.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast

Well, that is not working for me. My computer is running Windows XP. There are two user accounts established on it. Calibre was installed using one of those and a library was created in a shared folder (All Users). When I run the software from the second user account, after exiting calibre completely and then completely logging off from the first account, it continually points to an empty library in My Documents for that second account.

I would like give both accounts the ability add their own books to the library and to modify metadata; custom fields indentifing books currently being read and those which have been completed for each user.

Last edited by Philip36Fld; 08-30-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When you start Calibre up in the second user you can click on the Library icon on the toolbar to switch to the library that you want to share. This will then become the default library the next time you launch Calibre from that user. Note that you need to make sure that file permissions are correct for this second use to have full read-write access to the Library folder and all it's contents.

Use Preferences are stored on 'per user' basis which is why when you first start up Calibre in a new user it will not already be pointing to the library you set up under the previous user.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion but I have already tried that, itimpi, and it does not work. When I click on the Library icon there is no library name to switch to. I get tossed into the create wizard.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And once in the create wizard, select the option "use the previously existing library at the new location"...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #15
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast

To use calibre with multiple user accounts on a Windows XP system all of the accounts must be of the Administrator type. If so, when you start calibre it will cleanly go through the Welcome wizard allowing you to successfully point to an existing library in a shared folder.

If the user account is of the Limited Access type then you will receive an error message when going through the Welcome wizard. When you cancel out of the wizard an empty library folder is created in My Documents. If you then try to switch the library as per the instructions above you will receive an error message. If you next try to change the Limited Access account to an Administrator account you will receive an error message upon starting calibre in that account to the effect that the database is corrupted.

For now I will have to live with either making all calibre user accounts Adminstrator accounts prior to any of them using calibre, or with having just one calibre user on the computer in question.

Last edited by Philip36Fld; 08-31-2011 at 01:01 AM.