Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #106
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It took some time to get used to it. The bigger size is not as comfortable to hold as the little one. After a while I took the MP3player, which I wouldn't have thought. I read along while I listen to unabridged readings (audio books). A very interesting way to make difficult texts easier to grasp or to enhance my inner voice with some new tonalities.

It also helps that 650 is dressed in an Oberon cover and now feels heavenly rakish

All in all if I ever were to decide between them I'd go for the little one anytime.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #107
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
As I read this thread, I can't help but think back to the days when dedicated mp3 players were first coming online. The huge music lover I am, I was definitely an early adopter of mp3 gear back in the day. And lemme tell ya - there weren't a whole lot of us back then sporting on the go digital tunage.
I just got rid of my Rio PMP-300 a few months ago. I would've kept it if there were some way to get songs on it, but it was before USB ports and SD cards. I had to use a parallel port, and I believe there was some kind of adapter that went along with it. Plus, I had lost the software and found it online, but pretty sure it won't work with Windows 7 anyway.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #108
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
i've always felt that ebook readers were a superficial way, but a way nonetheless, to fight against modernity--too general, right? it's either adapt your reading mode or be antiquarian.
that said few things beat a beautiful first edition hard cover, but i've walked into the local bookstore, found an attractive title, checked the price in amazon store with 3g, and walked out.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #109
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I just got rid of my Rio PMP-300 a few months ago. I would've kept it if there were some way to get songs on it, but it was before USB ports and SD cards. I had to use a parallel port, and I believe there was some kind of adapter that went along with it. Plus, I had lost the software and found it online, but pretty sure it won't work with Windows 7 anyway.
I totally remember that Rio. Though I ended up with an early Creative Labs player [logic at the time was: CL does sound cards, so they must do good portable audio...which was true for a long, long time...]

You prolly already did, but did ya ever check these before ditching it? I know, a day late and a dollar short...
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/RioDrivers_win32/

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/RIOsitude/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...er-277088.html

Pretty sure the cables should be available on ebay as well, but would have needed much hunting.

And here, a Time magazine article naming the Rio as 1 of the top 100 tech gadgets of all time, from 2010.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...V5LfB3WKioYXXQ

lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #110
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Being a sad gadget freak it is not unknown for me to carry my wonderful K3, my Andriod phone, a Blackberry for work, a Sony MP3 player and either my netbook or my Archos tablet. I am then covered for all eventualities...........sadly I often need another suitcase for the cables and chargers!

Hear you Lestatar on the Creative mp3 players.......sound quality was fab had a Nomad and a Zen for yonks. I never understand folk listening to their iSheep with the bog standard earphones that come free, it must sound terrible.........all that money on touch screens and jazzy designs but no thought on the sound quality.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #111
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I totally remember that Rio. Though I ended up with an early Creative Labs player [logic at the time was: CL does sound cards, so they must do good portable audio...which was true for a long, long time...]

You prolly already did, but did ya ever check these before ditching it? I know, a day late and a dollar short...
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/RioDrivers_win32/

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/RIOsitude/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...er-277088.html

Pretty sure the cables should be available on ebay as well, but would have needed much hunting.

And here, a Time magazine article naming the Rio as 1 of the top 100 tech gadgets of all time, from 2010.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...V5LfB3WKioYXXQ

I checked out that Time magazine article and ironically, found my old CD player on there also. I don't remember ever being able to get 10 songs on that Rio, I think 8 was my max, which was kind of a bummer. Here I had the newest coolest gadget and I couldn't get through working out on the StairMonster without repeating songs. I think the next mp3 player that I got was the Rio Nitrus, which was a while later. I remember I loved it but my biggest query was wondering why it had no belt clip and finding a work-around.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #112
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
I never understand folk listening to their iSheep with the bog standard earphones that come free, it must sound terrible.........all that money on touch screens and jazzy designs but no thought on the sound quality.
Unfortunately true. My Sony PSP and now dead Toshiba Gigabeat MP3 player both have better sound quality than any iDevice I own even when used with the same headphones.

Hmm, now that I think about it, I don't actually have any music on my iDevices. Mostly, I just use the Remote app to control iTunes (WASAPI) on the PC connected to the AVR.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote