Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ellen Hage's new blog on e-books

Mobilereader Ellen Hage launched her new blog, Tech From an E-booker's Viewpoint. It's fair to say, with no exaggeration, that Ellen is a true e-book devotee. She owns more e-book devices than you could count with two hands and she earned a PhD degree in Organizational Management for her dissertation on e-book self-efficacy and usage levels across age and gender. She also wrote multiple TeleRead entries as a guest blogger. In other words, her blog is a must destination for every unquenchable e-book junky looking for the latest trends and news on e-books!

Congratulations Ellen, and good luck with your blog!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just took a peek, Ellen, and what a great job you've done. Excellent site. It's on my list of daily RSS reads, and I'm looking forward to more great stuff from you!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Very interesting blog. I'll start a blog about e-readers and e-paper in general pretty soon too, but it'll be in french.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Thanks all for the warm reception. I have been a reader of mobileread since the beginning as a lurker. then finally I signed up a couple of years ago. I have learned so much from this site. You'll tire of me always referring back to this site.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
buba
buba began at the beginning.

Device: treo 650
The website http://techusers.org seems to be down (due to popularity? :-)
buba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ellen, I love your blog! I already subscribed to it
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sweet site. Good blog.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Thanks all for the warm reception. I have been a reader of mobileread since the beginning as a lurker. then finally I signed up a couple of years ago. I have learned so much from this site. You'll tire of me always referring back to this site.

Ellen
Never will we tire of you referring to MobileRead. The more publicity, the better. And it's great to know you are in our favor. I fully agree with your You could already be an e-booker posting. It is so true. People spend all kinds of time on the computer reading this that and the other thing, but tell them about ebooks and they say "No, I can't spend all that time reading on the computer. It gives me eyestrain." What a bunch of hypocrites.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by buba View Post
The website http://techusers.org seems to be down (due to popularity? :-)
The main server of my host (AN Hosting) went down this morning for a bit. It is is up now.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nice! I particularly liked the Nokia 770 article (though the steps involved with installing and backing up were mildly frightening!)... this is a device which had slipped by me. Anyone sing out if they know of any e-book readers that can be installed on it, and I might check it out!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Nice! I particularly liked the Nokia 770 article (though the steps involved with installing and backing up were mildly frightening!)... this is a device which had slipped by me. Anyone sing out if they know of any e-book readers that can be installed on it, and I might check it out!
FBReader has been ported to the 770.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ah, so...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
People spend all kinds of time on the computer reading this that and the other thing, but tell them about ebooks and they say "No, I can't spend all that time reading on the computer. It gives me eyestrain." What a bunch of hypocrites.

Totally Disagree.
I belong to this group of people. Just browsing the Internet and read small articles and forums is so much different from reading a book.
I spend hours every day in front of computer but I cannot read books from computer screen. It gives me eyestrain, no enjoyment. A couple of years ago I was studying cisco course, which is pure online curse (funny typo, isn't it? ). Gosh, it was so difficult to concentrate for more than 15 minutes. When I started to use laptop instead of desktop with CRT, it became a bit easier but still difficult. That's the reason why I never bought any hand held device to read books and was buying paper books until Sony Reader eInk, which solved the problem enirely
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Totally Disagree.
I belong to this group of people. Just browsing the Internet and read small articles and forums is so much different from reading a book.
I spend hours every day in front of computer but I cannot read books from computer screen. It gives me eyestrain, no enjoyment. A couple of years ago I was studying cisco course, which is pure online curse (funny typo, isn't it? ). Gosh, it was so difficult to concentrate for more than 15 minutes. When I started to use laptop instead of desktop with CRT, it became a bit easier but still difficult. That's the reason why I never bought any hand held device to read books and was buying paper books until Sony Reader eInk, which solved the problem enirely
When you sit at the computer for hours, do you get eyestrain? And yes it seems silly for you to say you sit in front of the computer for hours yet cannot read a book. The only reason I don't care to read books on the computer is I prefer to do so elsewhere then at my computer desk. I've read books on my computer and our laptop with no problem otherwise.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you sit at the computer for hours, do you get eyestrain? And yes it seems silly for you to say you sit in front of the computer for hours yet cannot read a book. The only reason I don't care to read books on the computer is I prefer to do so elsewhere then at my computer desk. I've read books on my computer and our laptop with no problem otherwise.
The problem with reading books on pc's or laptop has to do more with ergonomics than eyestrain. When you read a print book you are focused on it, there is nothing outside it so to speak, but on a pc/laptop you have 2 choices:
- full screen and then horizontal layout which is against your usual reading experience
- vertical layout in your favourite reading software and then you have the rest of the screen as annoyance

On a tablet you can do vertical full screen but there are other problems (weight, heat, noise from the fan...)
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote