Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
kelliedn
Enthusiast
kelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with others

Device: Sony Touch Reader PRS-650
Is there a way to be able to get ALL my music files to play...

Can't stand that I can only play one album at a time. I use my reader at work for an MP3 player and read at lunch and breaks. Really don't want to take two different electronics items in to work, but I would like my music files to all play in a shuffle mode, but I can't get more then one album to play at a time without having to go back and choose another one. I realize it's a READER, but it does have the music option for a reason and I don't like that it won't shuffle all my songs that I have on my card.
kelliedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
kelliedn
Enthusiast
kelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with others

Figured it out....took a work around, but I got it.
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
So tell us.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
kelliedn
Enthusiast

Have to go to work....will post later tonight what I did
Old 03-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
So tell us.
Pinecone, here is a good thread discussing this subject. Enjoy!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=105410&page=1
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
kelliedn
Enthusiast

Okay, here is basically what I did. Trying to be very detailed so it will be easy for someone else to do.

I use Windows Vista if that matters

1. I had my reader (PRS-650) with the SD card inserted plugged into the USB port.

2. I also had an SD card with the songs I wanted plugged into the SD card on my computer, but I am sure you can do this from your hard drive also.

3. Went into "My Computer" and found the SD card that had the songs I want on it.

4. Right click on each song and go to "Properties" Click on "Details" at the top and then on "remove properties and personal information" at the bottom. Then click on "create a copy with all possible properties removed"

5. Do this for each song

6. I then created a folder on the SD card that is inserted in my Reader...I created one that was called "properties removed" for lack of a better imagination! lol!

7. Move each of the copies into this folder

8. I also renamed them making sure they each had a different track number in the new folder.

9. You are set, my prs650 showed this as an "unknown" album and had all the tracks in it and I was able to play them all continuously and shuffled. The tracks still had the album art and the song title, but did not have the artist name.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Unlike the standard Nook and all Kindles, the PRS-650 let's you organize and select songs using the embeded MP3 ID3 Tag information. This is the way most of the higher end MP3 players work.

The above procedure strips these tags out of the MP3 files, so as suggested be sure to do this only to copies, and preserve the original MP3 files somewhere with the ID3 tags intact.

Loading the files after the tags are stripped causes the PRS-650 to fall back to using file names only, and to just group all the untagged files together under "unknown".

If you want to try an even slicker trick, download a copy of a free MP3 tag editor like 'MP3TAG' and use that to edit the tags to create custom 'play lists'.

The Sony doesn't have direct 'playlist' support, but we can fake it by making a copy of the files we want in each playlist in a separate folder, and then editing the 'album' and 'title' tags to fool the PRS-650 into grouping the files the way we want.

Once you figure out how to use the MP3TAG editor to change TAGs it's really simple.

Copy the current name of the album from the 'Album' tag field and paste that in front of the current song title, then edit the album ID3 Tag to something like "Playlist 1" or "classic rock" (or anything else you find handy, just make it the SAME for all the songs you want grouped together) Then change the "Artist" Tag field to "Various".

So for example if the Tags for the songs start out like this -

Album = White Album

Title = Back in the USSR

Artist = Beatles

Then you would edit the MP3 tag fields to look like this -

Album = Classic Rock 1

Title = Beatles - White Album - Back in the USSR

Artist = Various

The advantage of the above method is that by changing the file name and tags slightly you can have multiple tagged 'playlists' plus full album versions on your Sony at the same time.

As long as the ID3 tags and filenames are changed, you can even have the same song loaded in several tagged playlists, plus as part of a full album.

Of course this physical file copying and duplication burns up a lot of Flash Memory space, but that's what those big 8 and 16 Gig SD cards were made for.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote