Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #241
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I hate the internet on the touch/iPhone. It's fine for looking something up when on the go, but I'd never use it in the house or office where I have PCs and laptops. To hard to read many pages, hard to type etc. etc.
I don't do much "reading" on it (I find the multi-touch interface somewhat annoying for that purpose), nor does my Touch leave the house. I do a lot of quick email/RSS checking on it, and there are a lot of nice network-enabled apps that I use it for -- the thing paid for itself just with the Squeezebox control app (cheaper than buying a "unitasker" controller from Logitech).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #242
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:

Just like an iTouch isn't worth it for someone that doesn't listen to music on the go much. They just sell better as our culture (at least younger generations) are much more into things like music, movies etc. than reading.
heh I would argue that an iPod Touch is not very good for listening to music on the go. For music its too big and bulky. its hard to control onehanded and or without looking at it to change songs or volume etc. My $50 refurbished Sansa is a much better mp3 music/podcast player than my iPod Touch purports to be. I mainly got the Touch for use with videos /app sotrea/ and as a mini webpad.

Of course I may be the exception to the rule, because I really dont read enough to buy an e-ink reader, although I have good intentions and I do love my PRS505
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #243
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just got this and its awesome.
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #244
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think the reason Amazon came out with a Kindle app just for the iPhone/iPod Touch has nothing to do with favoritism. It has to do with the fact that you cannot take a stock device, plug it into your computer's USB port and copy off the eBooks. So that still gives Amazon control with the ability to open their eBooks to more people.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #245
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think the reason Amazon came out with a Kindle app just for the iPhone/iPod Touch has nothing to do with favoritism. It has to do with the fact that you cannot take a stock device, plug it into your computer's USB port and copy off the eBooks. So that still gives Amazon control with the ability to open their eBooks to more people.
That seems unlikely, since you can just download the books to your computer anyway right from Amazon.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #246
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
DeDRM the kindle books and load them on your WM device and use Ubook
That's precisely what I do, when possible (except I don't use Ubook). But most of the Amazon-only ebooks are in Topaz format, which is why the iPhone Kindle app is still superior to the Windows Mobile method, which is why I am very much NOT happy with the status quo. At least 30% of the books I want from Amazon are Topaz.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #247
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
That's precisely what I do, when possible (except I don't use Ubook). But most of the Amazon-only ebooks are in Topaz format, which is why the iPhone Kindle app is still superior to the Windows Mobile method, which is why I am very much NOT happy with the status quo. At least 30% of the books I want from Amazon are Topaz.
What kinds of books are you looking for that are 30% Topaz? Are they technical? Just trying to find a pattern.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #248
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
That seems unlikely, since you can just download the books to your computer anyway right from Amazon.
I don't think Amazon will let you download the ebooks to your PC of you don't own a Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #249
chorpler
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
What kinds of books are you looking for that are 30% Topaz? Are they technical? Just trying to find a pattern.
Mostly science fiction and popular science. For books that are avaiable only at Amazon, it seems to be nearly 100%, if not actually 100%. For books that are available elsewhere, 0%. So I guess the real problem is that Amazon is the only one who sells some of the books I want, and they put them in Topaz format when that's the case.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #250
chorpler
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't think Amazon will let you download the ebooks to your PC of you don't own a Kindle.
Oh, good point. So if you only have an iPhone/iPod Touch registered, you can't download them directly but have to use the Kindle app on the device itself?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #251
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
heh I would argue that an iPod Touch is not very good for listening to music on the go. For music its too big and bulky.
Depends on what type of on the go use. I have two mp3 players.

1. 30GB Creative Zen Vision M. Pretty big and bulky. I have my entire music collection on this and use it to listen in the office, on airplanes etc. I'm an album listener, so I love having my whole collection with me.

2. 512MB Creative Muvo. Small flash based player that I use for working out, running etc.

So if I got an iTouch, it would be for purpose 1. But not plans since the 32GB model is so expensive (I paid $150 for my creative vision M over 2 years ago).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #252
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can still download to a computer, so long as you own and iPhone. I think that Apple and Amazon got together on this and made some sort of agreement. That is why it is on an Apple. I can't believe Amazon did this in a vacuum. Not being able to beam this to someone on the subway is an added benefit to them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #253
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Depends on what type of on the go use. I have two mp3 players.

1. 30GB Creative Zen Vision M. Pretty big and bulky. I have my entire music collection on this and use it to listen in the office, on airplanes etc. I'm an album listener, so I love having my whole collection with me.

2. 512MB Creative Muvo. Small flash based player that I use for working out, running etc.

So if I got an iTouch, it would be for purpose 1. But not plans since the 32GB model is so expensive (I paid $150 for my creative vision M over 2 years ago).
Certainly you can buy iPODs that have disk drives in them for less money than SSD devices, the price isn't totally Apple's fault. You are comparing apples and oranges or in this case Apples and Muvo's. Big and bulky is cheap, small and sleek is more expensive, who would have thought.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #254
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Certainly you can buy iPODs that have disk drives in them for less money than SSD devices, the price isn't totally Apple's fault. You are comparing apples and oranges or in this case Apples and Muvo's. Big and bulky is cheap, small and sleek is more expensive, who would have thought.

Dale
True. I just don't give a crap about small and sleek. And the Touch is pretty bulky, so I'd rather it just have been a hard drive based player and knocked the cost down some.

But I probably wouldn't buy one anyway as I'm just one of those anti-apple people. Sick of the hype, and just don't find their products worth the money compared to comparable products from other companies that sometimes offer more features (i.e. the Vision M had better sound quality, a better screen than the Video iPod at the time which was also an HDD player, and FM tuner built in--and cost roughly half as much).

I don't begrudge people who buy their products. But I doubt I ever will as I don't care to pay more for sleek devices that often do less than the competition. Though I'll readily admit that with the iTouch and iPhone they have a nice device that currently has no rival that does better.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-09-2009 at 05:23 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #255
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
DaleDe, either you are confused or I am. If you want to buy a book from Amazon in Kindle format, you must own a Kindle, since such books are available only to a Kindle account whose setup requires that a Kindle (the one you own, and five others, if you wish to add them) be registered. Those books are downloaded to that Kindle. The Kindle for iphone was created to allow me to read on the iphone the same Kindle-formatted books I am reading on the Kindle, to the point where each device reads where I have stopped on the other. If you don't own a Kindle, why would you even bother with the iphone/Kindle app?
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle