Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Typography in Touch Lux 2

Typography is very important for me but I learned not to take it granted with an ereader. Kindle has no hyphenation, kerning and ligatures. Kobo don't have kerning and ligatures with their native format, only with ePubs.

PocketBook Touch Lux 2 recently entered my country, rebranded and with an official Turkish ebook store (first and only one we have that is connected to a device). I am interested in buying one.

But I won't buy it if it has bad typography. So, does it?

Last edited by GERGE; 03-03-2015 at 02:21 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC Pocketbook uses the Adobe RMSDK for rendering ePub (& maybe PDF) so it should render ePub similar to a Kobo I would think. Not sure what they use to render Mobi, FB2, etc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC Pocketbook uses the Adobe RMSDK for rendering ePub (& maybe PDF) so it should render ePub similar to a Kobo I would think. Not sure what they use to render Mobi, FB2, etc.
fbreader is used to render the formats that AdobeViewer cant. From what I heard, it doesn't do a great job with Mobi. It also may be a very old version of fbreader, since it needed to be modified to work on PocketBook devices many years ago.

To the original poster, maybe you can just supply an uncopyrighted document and have someone with a Touch Lux 2 make a screen shot and post it here. Then you could see if the typography is good enough.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Typography is very important for me but I learned not to take it granted with an ereader.
PocketBook Touch Lux 2 recently entered my country,
There are MANY things that PocketBook excels at, but typography is almost non-existent, just like with the vast majority of e-ink readers out there.

As previous posters stated, there are several programs that can be used to read an epub file. One of them is official app from Adobe that displays all the formatting as set by publisher. But not nice things like ligatures or kerning (I think. I do not use it, I can't stand it.). The other program that can be used to display epubs and is used to display most of the e-book formats is fbreader. It used to be highly configurable, which made the lack or real typography bearable for me. In recent versions of firmware (4.xy) much of this configurability is broken (you can't, for example set margins or left justification for many epub books) and the 5.xy firmware is downright catastrophic.

Fortunately you can install Coolreader to devices with firmware 4.4, and that makes my live bearable.
You can set fonts, it has hyphenation, you can set margins and justification.
With small margins (so you can fit longer lines on the screen, so you have enough words per line), right font setting, left justification (so there are not un-even spaces between words on adjacent lines) and hyphenations the books are bearable.

If you look for a real typography, just use your own pdf file formatted by a good typesetting program. You have to format pdf exactly for the physical screen size and not for A4 or Letter. Then you will have real typography, but you will be unable to set your own font size during the reading. And, of course, you will have to strip drm and do your own conversion for every single book you want to read.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Typography is very important for me but I learned not to take it granted with an ereader. Kindle has no hyphenation, kerning and ligatures. Kobo don't have kerning and ligatures with their native format, only with ePubs.

PocketBook Touch Lux 2 recently entered my country, rebranded and with an official Turkish ebook store (first and only one we have that is connected to a device). I am interested in buying one.

You are thinking of buying a Pocketbook that also uses RMDSK. So why not just forget using kepub on your Kobo Glo and use ePub? RMDSK supports the typography you want and you already own it. Download as ePub from Kobo and side load and you'll have your typography.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
PocketBook Touch Lux 2 has a exclusive Turkish ebook store here, books aren't available in any other way. Can't download them to ADE, only to the ereader.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... Kobo don't have kerning and ligatures with their native format, only with ePubs.

I'm using a Kobo (Glo and Aura) with native format and I believe I am seeing Kerning (with both installed and side-loaded fonts).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote