Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Newlife07
Newlife07 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4
Question Adding epubs to Kobo

Hi everyone
I'm very new to this ereader thing but have several epub books that I'd like to read through Kobo, along with the other books that I have purchased through the Kobo store. How do I add these other epub books so as to read them in Kobo please?
Many thanks
Newlife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Simply connect the device to a PC and copy the books to the devices drive. When you disconnect, the device process the books and adds them to its library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
And unlike most USB drives etc, make sure to TAKE THE TIME TO PROPERLY EJECT THE KOBO before pulling out the USB cord from the computer. The database seems to be somewhat sensitive to being corrupted sometimes if you don't eject it before disconnecting.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
And unlike most USB drives etc, make sure to TAKE THE TIME TO PROPERLY EJECT THE KOBO before pulling out the USB cord from the computer. The database seems to be somewhat sensitive to being corrupted sometimes if you don't eject it before disconnecting.
You should do this for ALL USB drives. People think you don't need to because Windows used to write direct to USB drives (no write cache) so they usually got away with pulling them without ejecting properly.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Newlife07

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Simply connect the device to a PC and copy the books to the devices drive. When you disconnect, the device process the books and adds them to its library.
Thanks but I should have explained that I am using the Kobo ereader app on my iPad. I also use a Mac rather than a PC.

When I copy the epub files to my Mac, by default Calibre places the files in a folder it creates within /Users/[myname]/Calibre Library but my Kobo app on the iPad (or the Kobo desktop application for that matter) do not seem to recognise the epub.

Any further ideas please?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Kobo Desktop app only reads Kobo format material; ie the books IT downloaded from the Kobo Bookstore; it will NOT read ePubs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Newlife07

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The Kobo Desktop app only reads Kobo format material; ie the books IT downloaded from the Kobo Bookstore; it will NOT read ePubs.
Thanks Peter

Is there ANY way that I can read the epub apps then? I don't mind using a different ereader if I have to although would prefer to keep all my books on one ereader if possible.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry but I'm not at all sure about how reading books works on the iPad. You might have more luck over in the Apple forum here.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife07 View Post
Is there ANY way that I can read the epub apps then? I don't mind using a different ereader if I have to although would prefer to keep all my books on one ereader if possible.
I'm assuming you meant epub format ebooks and not 'epub apps'?

I mostly use my iPad to read PDFs but what I do is to attach my iPad to my computer, open iTunes and then go the Apps tab for my iPad. On the Apps tab, it shows several apps including Kobo and Stanza in a box on the left of the screen at the bottom of the iTunes window. If I highlight Kobo on the left side, the windows on the right changes to Kobo Documents with an add button which lets me browse for files to add to Kobo documents. After adding, simply trigger an sync and the files will be copied to your iDevice.

Hope this is some help to you.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-12-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hate to say this but your statement was totally incorrect. You can add epubs to the Kobo library using iTunes.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Go to the App store and search for ebook readers. Lots of free ones available.
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenv View Post
Go to the App store and search for ebook readers. Lots of free ones available.
Newlife already has an ebook reader app, namely the Kobo app, on their iPad. How to get sideloaded epubs in the app was the question, and it has been correctly explained already by DNSB. Should work on any platform as iTunes works the same everywhere. In any case I know it works that way on a Mac, so Newlife should be good to go.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hate to say this but your statement was totally incorrect. You can add epubs to the Kobo library using iTunes.

Regards,
David
Is that a new functionality with the Kobo i-app? I was with Peter in thinking there was no way to add epub to Kobo apps and as far as I know it's on the Apple app that seems to be able to do this (can't on PC desktop or Android app).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Noetic_Hatter
Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+
If your epubs are not DRM'd, you can just add them to the Books section of your itunes library. iBooks will play them just fine on an iPhone or iPad.

It's also easy to add epub books to the Kobo iOS app for reading on an iPhone or iPad.

1. Plug in your iPhone or iPad, as you'll be syncing it with iTunes.
2. Go to iTunes, and click on your device.
3. Across the top of the screen, choose Apps.
4. If the Kobo app is installed, then look at the bottom on the screen in iTunes. You'll see a section called "File Sharing" and a list of apps that allow you to load files.
5. Click Kobo, and the box on the right will rename to "Kobo Documents".
6. Below the Kobo Documents box is a button called "add", which will allow you to browse your computer and find your ePub files.

Honestly, it sounds more complicated than it is. See my picture below, where I have two books currently loaded onto my iPhone's Kobo app.

Also, if you look at my picture, you'll see I have the Nook and Sony apps ("Reader") -- both of those apps could load ePubs as well. All three apps are very good for reading, highlighting, and notetaking, as is Kindle (but it doesn't display ePub files).

ETA: I just realized I had missed the same explanation above. Oh, well. Maybe the image will be helpful.

Last edited by Noetic_Hatter; 01-12-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Noetic_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
Noetic_Hatter
Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+
Quote:
For reading ePubs on your Mac desktop, you can try the Sony Reader app. https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ I enjoy that interface when reading at my computer.

Also, Adobe Digital Editions. It's not as pretty, but it's very fuctional for reading.
http://www.adobe.com/products/digita.../download.html

Finally, Calibre itself will let you read books. Very basic functionality, as I don't think you can highlight or make notes. But it's very nice and simple as a text reader.
Noetic_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote