Old 07-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #31
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Why does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You have a device that works for you, I have a device that works for me. Why does it matter to you now? We've made our choices. What are you hoping to take away from the responses? Will you turn in your Sony if the responses don't favor it (be it Kindle or something else)? Can't we all just get along?
It matters to me because I'd like to hope my device has a good future. Kinda natural, I s'pose. For that same reason, I figured others who have a horse in the race might be interested in the same thing. But I understand your point too.
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #32
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm waiting for a larger screen device for Adobe DE. The Kindle (and the Sony) are fine for reading novels but for technical material my old eyes need a larger screen. It's not so much a question of font size but how large tables, illustrations, and formulas are rendered on the smaller Kindle/Sony screens. Sure, you should be able to zoom in but I'd like to just to able to see everything without having to take extra steps. If the Iliad supported Adobe DE then I'd be happy. As it is now, I buy technical pbooks.

Actually hope both Amazon and Sony do well since we are the ones who will benefit.
If there's one thing I've learned, there is definitely a need for an ebook reader geared for student, textbooks and technical books....The bigger screen would indeed be usedful here. I hope, tho, that amazon keeps supporting their original. Such a marvel.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
It matters to me because I'd like to hope my device has a good future. Kinda natural, I s'pose. For that same reason, I figured others who have a horse in the race might be interested in the same thing. But I understand your point too.
I don't think either of us has to worry about the future of our devices for a long time. With Sony's recent update that includes the ability to buy from other book sellers more easily and the Kindle still being a new kid backed by Amazon, I think we both have a lot of reading mileage ahead of us.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #34
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I already have a Kindle and I'm thinking about getting a Sony...I'm crazy that way. I like the way I can buy books on the Kindle and I like how the Sony looks but I like how the Cybook looks also. I just may end up with several readers. I'm always looking on ebay and searching the flea markets for used readers, apple computers, old ipods and such.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #35
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I already have a Kindle and I'm thinking about getting a Sony...I'm crazy that way. I like the way I can buy books on the Kindle and I like how the Sony looks but I like how the Cybook looks also. I just may end up with several readers. I'm always looking on ebay and searching the flea markets for used readers, apple computers, old ipods and such.

There ya go! No one reader offers every option, or ever will. So people must decide for themselves which is best. Now, as for looks.......it does look much better in person. Sleek and fits the hand beautifully.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #36
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
You know for the 2nd time, while I was out and about this week I tried to find a Sony to look at and maybe (maybe) purchase one (I'm curious and I like toys). I didn't make a special trip but just checked a couple of stores near where I was shopping that I've heard carry it (struck out with 2 Borders stores previously).

Wal-Mart didn't have it. I specifically asked in the electronics department. The guy didn't even know what it was when I said the name. I told him it was an ebook reader and he brought up the Kindle. He had bad info the Kindle (thought it was expensive at $99 ).

Target, didn't have it either.

I'm flying on Sunday, maybe I'll see one of those vending machines in the airport.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #37
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't worry too much about longevity of devices. I mean, if I haven't already replaced it I will someday drop my Sony reader and damage the screen. Isn't that inevitable? Or do you really expect your rechargeable battery to be purring along just fine after five-plus years? I don't. These are not yet "forever" devices. Maybe next year.

Along those lines, I make a point of avoiding device-specific purchases such as books in DRM'd LRF. Never know when I'll want or need to read on something else.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please do not misuse the term eReader. It only causes confusion and leads to people purchasing eReader format eBooks for devices that do not support eReader format.

eReader does not mean electronic reader. eReader actually an eBook format and software to read said format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please do not misuse the term eReader. It only causes confusion and leads to people purchasing eReader format eBooks for devices that do not support eReader format.

eReader does not mean electronic reader. eReader actually an eBook format and software to read said format.
I don't think anyone will be confused based on the context in which the word is used. It makes more sense for it to refer to a device that reads ebooks than a format.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #40
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I like playing with cameras (I don't have the audicity to say I'm a photographers). In this area, there are continuous debates of Canon vs Nikon. There isn't a winner between the two as there isn't a universal "better" one. Ultimately it is about which one means you will take more pictures. Everyone will have their own preferences based on what, where and how they read.

I don't want to see one win, since it means there will be competion and innovation. Why, well, as daffy4u said earlier, this means the winner is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Hopefully the ultimate answer is... the consumer.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #41
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
i hope both will be around for a long time, personally. competition is good. I'm currently extremely happy with my Sony, and I think both readers do a good job and have distinct features.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #42
jacsiegel
jacsiegel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony isn't compatible with Mac - that leaves out a large and growing market and will limit Sony's appeal. I switched to Mac from PC and will never go back. I'm not alone!
jacsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #43
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The PRS-505 works just fine with Mac. It uses standard USB mass storage interface.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacsiegel View Post
Sony isn't compatible with Mac - that leaves out a large and growing market and will limit Sony's appeal. I switched to Mac from PC and will never go back. I'm not alone!
The Kindle has no desktop software whatsoever. But the Sony 505 can use Adobe DE 1.5. I thought there was a version of DE for the Mac.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #45
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Kindle has no desktop software whatsoever. But the Sony 505 can use Adobe DE 1.5. I thought there was a version of DE for the Mac.
Great point. The latest firmware may have solved that problem for PDF and ePUB at least but not for the other formats. Calibre solves it for the other formats and may soon have a ePUB solution as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!