Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #196
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Thing is, improvements don't draw reviews, attention and publicity. Distinctive features do. The Facebook integration is all about distinguishing the Kobo from all the other ereaders out there.
Not sure about that. I was drawn to the Kobo because of a good review that said there were frequent updates that improved the Kobo as an e-reader (like adding the possibility for annotations to epubs). I thought that was very distinguishing.

And what good will it do if people interested in the Kobo will hear that, yes, there is Facebook integration, but no, you still don't have shelves but instead of that you now can share Kobo (!) books to the FB Timeline.

Distinctive features are fine, but not if features that should be standard are not available.

And most people want an e-reader to be good for reading and book management. Everything else is a bonus. So reading experience should come first, gimmicks much later.

Really distinguishing would be tag support or meta data display.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #197
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
Some of my books are doing the same however on some further inspection the books are settings their top margin to zero in their css. This isn't so much as a bug as its bad CSS and Kobo now respecting it. I'm not sure which I like more though.
Kobo Touch lets you set the margins if the css margins are set to zero.

Kobo Touch is correctly setting the left and right margins, according to its override configuration. However, it isn't using the same override margin settings on the top or bottom.

And it was. Now it isn't. This is either a feature or a bug. My vote is that it's a bug. Especially as how no one from Kobo has responded to this issue. At all.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #198
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Re: Identifying bad epubs that confuse KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
You can load the 100 books at one time via Calibre. They are loaded alpha sort.
Then after reboot go to the images folder and find the last book loaded with all it's images. The next missing book in Alpha order is the bad one.
I have used this method to find and remove bad epubs.
OK, I think I can follow that, but doesn't sound like it would work to clean up my KT db right now. I just plugged in the KT, went to .kobo\images, sorted by date, and don't see where the alpha order is interrupted--because it's messed up from several attempts to load books over a week or more.

But I can see the utility of your method if I were to reset and start fresh with 100 books. Which I am thinking of doing. But to update the software again, I'd have to do an official sync with the desktop app. That app should have an option of just updating software without reloading all the books the app knows about.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #199
pdrewcock
pdrewcock began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Reverting to previous ver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
Yep, I have to agree... having a terrible time with dead taps after upgrading to 1.9.17

Tried a factory reset and then reloaded a few books. Dead taps every few pages. Very. Annoying.

Will probably try to go back to 1.9.16
Has anyone been successful reverting to a previous version? I tried reverting to 1.9.14. but of course as soon as you go to register the unit it forces the latest upgrade. And you can't do anything 'till you register the unit.
Kobo has been unable to fix my problem with the unit re-booting every time I make a second selection of a "favorite" in the browser. Strange that it only started doing this after the last upgrade. They are telling me that the unit must be faulty and it needs to be returned. I've only seen one other post with the same problem. Can others test this to see if it is a bug in the firmware?
Thanks in advance
Pete D.
pdrewcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #200
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Kobo Touch is correctly setting the left and right margins, according to its override configuration.
Not on mine it isn't. It simply ignores it, and shows zero margins left and right.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #201
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Not on mine it isn't. It simply ignores it, and shows zero margins left and right.
This is what happens when the ePub specifically sets the margins to 0.

If there is no margin setting, then the Kobo's margin adjustments work.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #202
pdrewcock
pdrewcock began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Reverting to previous ver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrewcock View Post
Has anyone been successful reverting to a previous version? I tried reverting to 1.9.14. but of course as soon as you go to register the unit it forces the latest upgrade. And you can't do anything 'till you register the unit.
Kobo has been unable to fix my problem with the unit re-booting every time I make a second selection of a "favorite" in the browser. Strange that it only started doing this after the last upgrade. They are telling me that the unit must be faulty and it needs to be returned. I've only seen one other post with the same problem. Can others test this to see if it is a bug in the firmware?
Thanks in advance
Pete D.
Managed to answer part of my question:
It seems Kobo was able to replicate my problem with the browser. They now say my unit is probably OK and I should wait for another update that will hopefully fix the problem. They believe every touch unit probably has the same problem.
I asked if there was any way to revert back to a previous version and have yet to get a reply.
pdrewcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #203
murg
No Comment

Another bunch of bugs:

The Touch doesn't recognise   or  . It replaces these with a question mark when displaying the ebook. I haven't tried  .

However, if you annotate the line containing the above, the annotation page recognises that these are supposed to be spaces.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #204
dq1967
dq1967 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Managed to answer part of my question:
It seems Kobo was able to replicate my problem with the browser. They now say my unit is probably OK and I should wait for another update that will hopefully fix the problem. They believe every touch unit probably has the same problem.
I asked if there was any way to revert back to a previous version and have yet to get a reply.
Yeah same for me. Hope it gets fixed soon.
dq1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #205
Rainer Zenz
Groupie
Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch/Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
Some of my books are doing the same however on some further inspection the books are settings their top margin to zero in their css. This isn't so much as a bug as its bad CSS and Kobo now respecting it. I'm not sure which I like more though.
Yes, you're right! The solution is something like that:

@page { margin-top: 1.00em; }

I didn't know of "@page".
Rainer Zenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #206
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I ad no problems with margins during upgrade try #1, then had margins problem after upgrade try #2, after 3rd, so far, no margin problem...

But, I am still stuck with my original error since either firmware upgrade, which is the error pasted below whenever I try to make more than 1 change at a time using Calibre. If it's not firmware, why did I never have this problem before...

I just don't think you should have to make 1 change at a time, the Kobo should be able to handle library management. I've got tons of 'disk space', only have 200+ books. And as I said, never had this problem before...

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 253, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1010, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 175, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 133, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #207
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I can help you get a kobo touch working with previous firmware versions if you like. However, it will not be able to to synk with kobo account or authorize Adobe drm. It will only be useable with sideloaded DRM free books.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #208
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
I haven't seen much difference in this firmware except the text has crept too high
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #209
AndyBarlow
AndyBarlow began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Touch
Hi MDK, thanks for that bit of info. My wireless router is a Belkin and I was using WEP as well. I've now switched it to WPA and, so far, it's working properly.

Cheers,

Andy
AndyBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #210
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
By now I realized that the unresponsive touch screen area is towards the lower right and lower left corner.

I installed the firmware .17 after a factory reset, so it's not any data left from the .16

Please fix that. It's really inconvenient.

(Also I still hope for more touch area settings, like tapping anywhere to page forward, swiping to browse backwards...)
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote