Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
Correcting author's name on existing files

I have searched the archives and got all sorts of answers and I am totally confused

The answers that I understood didn't work and I am confused by (.*) (.*) and /2 /1 etc.... which also didn't seem to work?

I have existing author's names (I am NOT adding them) in my library, for instance

Firstname Lastname (I assume this is the one Calibre prefers?)
Lastname Firstname
Lastname, Firstname
Larstname Firstname (yes, misspelled)

How do I rename all the incorrect forms to the correct form (the first?)? In one or many steps? How do I format the Search and Replace correctly?

Please assume I am a complete newbie so assume nothing in your response
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I have searched the archives and got all sorts of answers and I am totally confused

The answers that I understood didn't work and I am confused by (.*) (.*) and /2 /1 etc.... which also didn't seem to work?
  1. Display the Tag Browser (Shift+Alt+T or click the Tag icon in the lower right) if its not alreay being displayed
  2. Open the Authors section and find the incorrect author listing
  3. Right-click on incorrect entry and Rename to change all books associated with that formerly incorrect name and will merge the two Authors entries that now have matching names.

You can also click the "Manage authors, ..." button at the bottom of the Tag Browser section to access the Manage Authors dialog. From there you can accomplish the same renaming while having manual, independent control of the Author_Sort entry.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
First you should use the quality check plugin->check metadata->check author sort
This will give you a fairly comprehensive list of authors to correct. Sort by author and correct using bulk edit metadata with the automatically set author sort checked.

-or-
you can download metadata individually or bulk which will fix almost all of the author names to first name, last name and then check author sort.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Or use the Right-click option on the wrong name in the Tag Browser, and rename to the correct name. If the name exists, these records will be combined
(BTW the same is true for all Tag Browser tags, the gotcha is Series, You will need to fix the index numbers.
As an alternative to renaming the Series via the Tag Browser.
Select BOTH/ALL versions of the series (then Select All: Ctrl-A) and open those with The Manage Series Plugin. You can adjust the Series name at the Top and re-order the books in the List.
All in one place
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Or use the Right-click option on the wrong name in the Tag Browser, and rename to the correct name. If the name exists, these records will be combined
(BTW the same is true for all Tag Browser tags, the gotcha is Series, You will need to fix the index numbers.
As an alternative to renaming the Series via the Tag Browser.
Select BOTH/ALL versions of the series (then Select All: Ctrl-A) and open those with The Manage Series Plugin. You can adjust the Series name at the Top and re-order the books in the List.
All in one place
I get weird renumbering with the series manager plugin unless I am really really careful. Probably there is an option to not change the numbers but I haven't found it?

Helen
Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I get weird renumbering with the series manager plugin unless I am really really careful. Probably there is an option to not change the numbers but I haven't found it?

Helen
Use the Lock (button)
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use the Lock (button)
That is basically being very careful for me and even then I can mess it up

Helen
Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
That is basically being very careful for me and even then I can mess it up

Helen
The lock button say don't change the (index) number for this book from what is shown. This is needed if there are Gaps in your series (and you don't use the add button to create Empty book, place holders).

When I only have gaps of 1 or 2 books, I add empty Series books using those other buttons, double click and set the (missing) title. Now I have a (with series) place holder for what is missing
Old 03-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dwig, I told you I am a newbie....

Step 1 wasn't a problem.

I assume step 2 was to click on the Authors column. Right? I couldn't find an Authors "section"?

I found an incorrect entry and right clicked on it. I wasn't given a "rename" option. But I renamed the author to the correct name and it just renamed the author on that ONE book only.

Newbie alert!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I assume step 2 was to click on the Authors column. Right? I couldn't find an Authors "section"?
This is the Author section of the "Tag Browser", the tag browser is the panel with authors, series, formats, etcetera. If this is not on your screen, then use dwig's step 1 - Display the Tag Browser (Shift+Alt+T or click the Tag icon in the lower right).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Okay, thank you all, I get it at last.

Click on Authors section didn't do it. I had to click to the left of the Author to drop down a list.