Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #376
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
The keyboard keys that have multi-functions if you hold them down are:

QWERTYUIOP - for the numbers

Many other chars/symbols available using these:
E, Y, U, I, O, A, S, N, C,

If you switch to the characters (tap the 123!? then o+= ) you get the alternate set and then hold many of these down to get other chars:

+, =, ,pi symbol, black dot (lets you get the card suits), ^, <, >

enjoy
the problem will be remembering which key does what!
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #377
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

For those using Go Launcher, here the supposed fix to make the wallpaper stick:

"The Rotating Wallpaper app is kinda weird and not much info on how to set it up. I installed the app (from Android Market), opened the app, ADD Set, Type in your choice of name for the set, ADD a file (photo of your choice). I wanted to keep the same wallpaper & not rotate at all so I only added ONE photo/file. Visit Settings: Active Wallpaper Set – click and select your new set; Rotate Interval – I set it for one minute in case I want to add other photos later. Delay on Sleep – check. Click the BACK button and hit ROTATE NOW. Then it should set you wallpaper to the photo/photos that you added to your set.

Use the UNLOCK WALLPAPER (#4) function, change the wallpaper to whatever you want, then use the LOCK WALLPAPER (#3) function to make it stick. (Thanks to user Andrei.)"

Taken from from here:
http://raywaldo.com/2012/01/kindle-fire-works-great/

Hmm just tried it and it seemed to NOT work at first by going back to the stock one but then after 5 seconds it went to the one I had picked
interesting

Last edited by salsaguy; 01-22-2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: added trial info
Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #378
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
For those using Go Launcher, here the supposed fix to make the wallpaper stick:

"The Rotating Wallpaper app is kinda weird and not much info on how to set it up. I installed the app (from Android Market), opened the app, ADD Set, Type in your choice of name for the set, ADD a file (photo of your choice). I wanted to keep the same wallpaper & not rotate at all so I only added ONE photo/file. Visit Settings: Active Wallpaper Set – click and select your new set; Rotate Interval – I set it for one minute in case I want to add other photos later. Delay on Sleep – check. Click the BACK button and hit ROTATE NOW. Then it should set you wallpaper to the photo/photos that you added to your set.

Use the UNLOCK WALLPAPER (#4) function, change the wallpaper to whatever you want, then use the LOCK WALLPAPER (#3) function to make it stick. (Thanks to user Andrei.)"

Taken from from here:
http://raywaldo.com/2012/01/kindle-fire-works-great/

Hmm just tried it and it seemed to NOT work at first by going back to the stock one but then after 5 seconds it went to the one I had picked
interesting
It works Rotating Wallpaper app does I've been using it all night. I got it set for five minutes after sleep with delay. I only using one image though but the Amazon's wallpaper is gone.

I have no idea about the lock wallpaper part. I only did the steps before it. I am not rooted.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #379
karenjojo
karenjojo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
firmware version

I have System Version 6.2.2. Is that the same as Firmware Version? Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My first tip:

When you receive your Fire perform the following steps first:

1. Connect to your WiFi.
2. Register your unit with Amazon if it is not already registered with them.
3. Charge your unit for four hours.
4. Check under settings if you have firmware version 6.0.0 or 6.1.0. If you have the former version, go here to update to the latter version:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790620
5. Have fun !
karenjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #380
karenjojo
karenjojo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
Has anyone found a calendar that works well for scheduling several months in advance?
I really like CalenGoo. It wasn't a free app, but found it for $5 or 6.99. I couldn't get some of the free calendar apps to pull in my existing google calendar I had set up on my iPhone; now they sync with each other! Good luck.
karenjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #381
Xeddicus
Xeddicus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjojo View Post
I have System Version 6.2.2. Is that the same as Firmware Version? Many thanks!
Yes, that's the same thing.
Xeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #382
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
My question is, what does the Kindle Fire lack in functionality? Is it just the broader choice of apps that is attractive or is there something the Fire is missing. I haven't found anything that I needed to do that I couldn't do but I'm a casual user. What's lacking?
My biggest disappointment with the Kindle Fire is that it makes it MUCH harder to download free books from the internet using the web browser. In the previous kindles all you had to do was click on a book and it was downloaded and installed.

In the Kindle Fire, i click on a book and it downloads to the wrong directory "Downloads" rather than "Documents." I then have to use Quickoffice to move that file to "Documents." I then have to use File Expert to "touch it up" before it actually appears on my documents list. What a pain!

Also, if you have a book that doesn't have its title and author correctly shown in the cover image, such as the garbage cover image automatically included in all the books from one really big free book provider we all know, then the carousel just keeps showing you say 20 identical book covers, and there is no way you can pick the book you actually intended to read from the carousel. At least in "Documents" if you look closely they still give you the author and title somewhere.

Also, there are a lot of great android apps out there that one cannot not get from the Amazon store and the Kindle Fire doesn't include Marketplace. Sometimes you can search on the web and find them available in apk form somewhere, and sometimes installing those apk's actually work, again if you use File Expert. But its a hassle and sometimes you simply cannot find the app in apk form anywhere.

Also, I would like the Aa interface to allow one to set negative margins, aka "margin trimming" like the Sony Readers support. Mobi7 seems to "automatically" throw away stupid HTML coding such as setting body margins. But kf8 *doesn't* seem to throw away these stupid margins, such that say using kindlegen to compile an epub source file to kf8 often results in unusably large and ugly margins.

Also, it sure would be nice if Amazon could solve the ubiquitous "<p> top and margins ended up too large" problem ONCE AND FOR ALL! No other readers have this problem JUST Amazon!
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #383
sdroux550
sdroux550 began at the beginning.

Any one have an app the controle the brightness like the volume control app?
(directly in any app that is running)
sdroux550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #384
salsaguy
Addict

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cnet/...54805.2500.mp4

How to make the Fire safe for kids
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #385
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It works Rotating Wallpaper app does I've been using it all night. I got it set for five minutes after sleep with delay. I only using one image though but the Amazon's wallpaper is gone.

I have no idea about the lock wallpaper part. I only did the steps before it. I am not rooted.
I finally got rotating wallpaper to work. Despite all the EXCELLENT instructions here, I had to watch a 12 year old do it on You Tube.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #386
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I finally got rotating wallpaper to work. Despite all the EXCELLENT instructions here, I had to watch a 12 year old do it on You Tube.
I don't have it installed anymore. It was right after I installed it my Fire wouldn't go past the logo screen. So my replacement only has a few tested apps on it.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #387
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't have it installed anymore. It was right after I installed it my Fire wouldn't go past the logo screen. So my replacement only has a few tested apps on it.
I did have that happen once. We'll see how I make out. I happened when I had Go Launcher installed but not Rotating Wallpaper. I originally thought that the Kindle interface was just fine and who the heck would bother with all that other stuff. It's amazing how quickly the gray bookshelves got old.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #388
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I did have that happen once. We'll see how I make out. I happened when I had Go Launcher installed but not Rotating Wallpaper. I originally thought that the Kindle interface was just fine and who the heck would bother with all that other stuff. It's amazing how quickly the gray bookshelves got old.
How did you fix yours? What launcher are you using? I figure Go! might have caused it but I'll never know. I am stuck will grey shelves but it's better than no Fire at all.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #389
beej231
Addict

Quote:
How did you fix yours? What launcher are you using? I figure Go! might have caused it but I'll never know. I am stuck will grey shelves but it's better than no Fire at all.
It was Go Launcher when it happened but I put it back on. All I did was hold the power button forever and prayed.<g> If it happens again or I have to have it replaced, it will be gray bookshelves forever because I can't spend an afternoon without it. While I'm great with computers, I have a lot to learn about other gizmos.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #390
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Blossom one thing I always do now is return to the boring gray before I shut it down or put it to sleep. I have no idea if that will make a difference or not.