Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

Device: kindle
kinamp (v2) audio player for kindle

installation:
0) extract either the tarball or zip into /mnt/us/system
1) assign a shortcut to /mnt/us/system/kinamp in launchpad
kinamp requires mplayer to be:
/mnt/us/system/mplayer

running:
the simplest way to run the program is:
kinamp file file1 file2 file3 ....

keep in mind that the executable will want the /mnt/us/ prefix for files in the userspace file system.

when you run the executable, it will kill any running instance you have previously run.

keys:
alt-DEL (previous file)
alt-L (play/pause)
alt-K (fast forward)
alt-J (next file)
alt-H (quit)

display:
you will see a progress bar along the bottom of the screen indicating the current percentage from the start of the file.

when the file changes, the file name will be displayed in the bottom left corner of the screen for ~5 seconds, then disappear.

notes:
the executable transparently passes its parameters to mplayer.
some useful options:

-loop 0: loop the playlist forever
-playlist <filename>: load <filename> as a playlist
-volume 400: amplify the file volume 4x (useful for quiet audio)

example:
kinamp -loop 0 -volume 400 -playlist /mnt/us/music/myplaylist

for more options see the mplayer manual:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html

about 60 seconds after your kindle goes to screensaver, you will notice kinamp stops playing.
to prevent this behavior, use kaffeine:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151207
Attached Files
File Type: gz kinamp.tar.gz (10.1 KB, 1333 views)
File Type: gz mplayer.tar.gz (3.66 MB, 1072 views)
File Type: zip kinamp.zip (3.69 MB, 1762 views)

Last edited by fbdev; 10-09-2011 at 06:30 PM.
fbdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
That was the only change eh? Rockin.
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

I think you responded to my last post in the v1 thread so quickly that you didn't see my edit, so here it is agaaaaain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryran View Post
Do you have any music files that have international characters in their file names? I do. A lot. It seems that when kinamp is trying to display the currently-playing file: as soon as it reaches a character with [e.g.] an accent, it stops reading the rest of the file name for display. This doesn't affect the music; only the visual aspect.
In other news, if I start mplayer in slave mode on its own and try the get_file_name command, it's reported properly... so I'm guessing this is a problem with the character set for your fb-painting code. But I probably should leave the guessing to you.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

i imagine it's a multi-byte character problem.
if one of the bytes is 0, the reading of the string will terminate.
i don't really work with character sets; ascii is as far as i go.

Quote:
I think you responded to my last post in the v1 thread so quickly that you didn't see my edit, so here it is agaaaaain.

In other news, if I start mplayer in slave mode on its own and try the get_file_name command, it's reported properly... so I'm guessing this is a problem with the character set for your fb-painting code. But I probably should leave the guessing to you.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
fbdev
fbdev

i advise against editing your posts and instead posting addenda.
i am almost certainly going to miss edits.

Quote:

Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
ryran
Connoisseur

Ah. That makes sense. Darn.
Ten-four on the editing. I'm used to doing that after being on boards where it was frowned on to post after yourself.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
ryran
Connoisseur

In other other news, I was playing around with the various commands in slave mode, trying to see if there was anything else interesting enough that I'd want to bribe you into adding to kinamp.... and I came across the loop and volume options. Obviously I'm already controlling everything I need to with scripts, but IMHO it sure would be nice to toggle repeat without having to restart playback. Same goes for volume-boosting, though to a much lesser degree.

I couldn't really get either of them to work though.
Changing loop from within slave mode seems to break playback in a similiar way to how seeking does (delayed death) and the volume boosting ... well, perhaps I could get it to work by playing more with the af_* commands, but I realized that I don't currently have any reason to need boosting; I was only looking into it for completeness' sake.

So anyway. Loop breaking the whole world? Is this your experience as well? Keyboard shortcut not possible?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
fbdev
fbdev

i dunno. i only wanted a player when i wrote it. not a swiss army knife. =]

Quote:
In other other news, I was playing around with the various commands in slave mode, trying to see if there was anything else interesting enough that I'd want to bribe you into adding to kinamp.... and I came across the loop and volume options. Obviously I'm already controlling everything I need to with scripts, but IMHO it sure would be nice to toggle repeat without having to restart playback. Same goes for volume-boosting, though to a much lesser degree.

I couldn't really get either of them to work though.
Changing loop from within slave mode seems to break playback in a similiar way to how seeking does (delayed death) and the volume boosting ... well, perhaps I could get it to work by playing more with the af_* commands, but I realized that I don't currently have any reason to need boosting; I was only looking into it for completeness' sake.

So anyway. Loop breaking the whole world? Is this your experience as well? Keyboard shortcut not possible?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
ryran
Connoisseur

You're fired!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
fbdev
fbdev

what's my severance?
say 40 virgins...
say 40 virgins...
say 40 virgins...

no no no... not 40 years old and a virgin.

god, i'm going to have to rewrite that code.

Quote:
You're fired!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

http://www.leonardcohen.com/music.ph...=16&song_id=27

I'm realy a fan of Leonard Cohen.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #12
ryran
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbdev View Post
what's my severance?
say 40 virgins...
no no no... not 40 years old and a virgin.
god, i'm going to have to rewrite that code.
THAT'S right -- get on it!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Thank you for the great work, fbdev. Is it possible to display the streaming station's name in the status instead of the URL? Or just display any comment appended after the URL in the playlist.

Http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxx ## Radio Paradise

Also, may I suggest you merge all the kinamp threads? You can update the first post with latest version and info. This way, all the tricks and tips are in one thread, and when someone finds a thread of the old version and posts to it, it doesn't jump to the front page in favor of the newer threads. (a mod may need to do this)

Ps, anyone looking for near CD quality Internet radio, try tuner2.com. Limited selection, but really great audio quality.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #14
ryran
Connoisseur

I know how you feel about the threads fbdev, but I agree with Barty--I think it's much less likely that important info will be lost & buried if we keep things to one major thread.

Also, regarding Barty's kinamp request:
I couldn't figure it out from the source, but I'm assuming you currently use the mplayer slave cmd get_file_name for the fb display? And that in order to fulfill his request you would need to change it to get_meta_title, right?

That would suck for local file playing.. well, for the way I use it at least. Currently I can get all the info I need by seeing the file name (ALBUM/##. TITLE) .... Long story short, if you decide to mess with this at all fbdev, I would propose conditionally using get_meta_title only on streams.

On the other hand, whatever you do.. I could use a reason to setup scratchbox and really start messing with this myself.

OH speaking of which: If you haven't already, please follow a tail on messages while kinamp + mplayer are playing a file. Please tell me you haven't noticed this before. Either way, don't you think it's a bit crazy to be causing syslog-ng (& tinyrot) to be writing to the flash so much? I only just realized this today and haven't taken the time to figure out adding an exception for all that eink_fb crap (tho I did try stopping syslog-ng to no avail--something restarts it within 10 seconds).

Last edited by ryran; 09-02-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #15
mtsp
Enthusiast
mtsp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
This seems cool. Does it have a GUI?
mtsp is offline   Reply With Quote