Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
bobb40
Enthusiast
bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle4, KoboGlo
control blockquote indentation

I am using ebook-convert from CLI, to convert text to epub. I want to control the indentation of paragraphs inside a blockquote. It works as I expected on the w3schools/tryit page (text-indent-example.jpg). But ebook-convert tag <p style="text-indent: 0;"> does not override the text-indent set by css. Is there a way of doing it without hacking the epub file?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text-indent-example.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	75309  
bobb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
By default Calibre will honor what's in your html - odds are that some conversion setting is overriding the css. What conversion options do you have enabled?

Remove Spacing between paragraphs is the most common culprit - if you want control over indents avoid that feature and just use css to control spacing.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
bobb40
Enthusiast
bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle4, KoboGlo
re: control backquote indentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
By default Calibre will honor what's in your html - odds are that some conversion setting is overriding the css. What conversion options do you have enabled?

Remove Spacing between paragraphs is the most common culprit - if you want control over indents avoid that feature and just use css to control spacing.
Thanks, ldolse, you're spot on: I removed "--remove-paragraph-spacing" and the indent size option, and the anomalies are gone.

Is there an accepted way to "use css to control spacing"?
bobb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
p {margin-top:.3em; margin-bottom:.3em;}

Or 0 (that's what the option does), or whatever you like. Either add it directly to your doc or to Calibre's 'extra css' box.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
p {margin-top:.3em; margin-bottom:.3em;}

Or 0 (that's what the option does), or whatever you like. Either add it directly to your doc or to Calibre's 'extra css' box.
I thought the CSS box in Conversion dialog only applied to what you see in the calibre viewer, and not the document itself as seen by other readers/devices? If the CSS box actually changes the html in the document so it applies to any other readers that display html correctly, then I need to change my wrong assumptions and start using it.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I thought the CSS box in Conversion dialog only applied to what you see in the calibre viewer, and not the document itself as seen by other readers/devices?
That assumption is wrong. The viewer does have its own CSS override, but you access it in the viewer. The Conversion settings apply to the converted ebook.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow! Thanks, Starson.

Edit: Really, thank you. In that case, CSS will be the next "complexity" I take baby steps into.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-09-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I thought the CSS box in Conversion dialog only applied to what you see in the calibre viewer, and not the document itself as seen by other readers/devices? If the CSS box actually changes the html in the document so it applies to any other readers that display html correctly, then I need to change my wrong assumptions and start using it.
I have been waiting to see how long it would be before someone corrected your KISS post about the same assumption you voiced there. Now that you have the correct info you might want to edit that first post over in the KISS thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I have been waiting to see how long it would be before someone corrected your KISS post about the same assumption you voiced there. Now that you have the correct info you might want to edit that first post over in the KISS thread.
@dwanthny, thank you. Good catch. I actually remembered to correct it a few hours ago.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I may be a little late to the party, but...
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct subforum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote