Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #46
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Thank you. All I want is an ebook, I just save my word doc as an rtf, and have Calibre do all the work. They come out just fine. Most of them look far better than the supposed "professionally published" ebooks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
How many people are likely to look at the code? Sometimes "good" is good enough.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #47
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I've never seen one of those. Have you got one I can look at? I'd be interested to see if they are any easier to convert.
All of the PDFs on my site (including the free content) are ADA-compliant PDFs. Check one out.

If you have a PDF reader that is ADA-compliant (like Adobe Reader for almost any device), the PDFs will reflow with minimal problems. If you use a third-party PDF reader, there's a good chance it's not ADA-compliant, so it won't reflow properly. This is why most ebook device users hate PDFs: They mostly try to read them on third-party apps, they won't reflow, and people blame the PDFs instead of the apps.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #48
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
How many people are likely to look at the code? Sometimes "good" is good enough.
Most of time I go looking at the code because something annoyed me.
Can be "just" overlarge margin, weirdo formating. And that one I went looking at because it got the orizon to lag...

And it's easy to make something good : keep it simple. Keep the number of style to a reasonable amount. Once you get the ePub converted from odt, docx or whatever, sigil and a few regexp can clean most of the mess in no time.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #49
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
If you have a PDF reader that is ADA-compliant (like Adobe Reader for almost any device), the PDFs will reflow with minimal problems. If you use a third-party PDF reader, there's a good chance it's not ADA-compliant, so it won't reflow properly. .
So it won't work on any of the e-ink devices?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #50
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So it won't work on any of the e-ink devices?
Not if they use most third-party PDF readers, and not an Adobe product. (Not a bad reason to contact your reader's manufacturer and demand compliant reading apps.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote