Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Phone survey?

Have any of you received a PM about taking part in a 30-minute phone survey about ebook readers? I'm always wary of giving out my phone number, and wondered if the survey was legitimate.

Edited to add: Never mind! I found another thread about a similar topic. Thanks anyway!

Edited again to add: I would still welcome feedback from others who have participated in the survey. I've responded to the e-mail, indiciating my interest in participating.

Last edited by janiebegood; 03-08-2008 at 01:42 PM.
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
no, we haven't
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Yeah It's legit. It's McKinsey Group. They are a large management consulting firm. They will ask you some questions and let you bable on about ereaders and then they will pay you.
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
more info here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=survey
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I did not receive an PM from them, but sent an e-mail and told them I was interested. Took the survey and my Visa Gift card is on the way.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope this does not turn out to be another HOLIDAYGIFT because if it does, we'll have to start removing these sorts of messages that because the people who are supposed to getting whatever to not get it because people who were not supposed to be getting it got it instead.

Remember, anyone who used HOLIDAYGIFT without deserving it is a 100% CRIMINAL! Stole $50 in store credit.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope this does not turn out to be another HOLIDAYGIFT because if it does, we'll have to start removing these sorts of messages that because the people who are supposed to getting whatever to not get it because people who were not supposed to be getting it got it instead.

Remember, anyone who used HOLIDAYGIFT without deserving it is a 100% CRIMINAL! Stole $50 in store credit.
Jon, are you implying that I am a criminal just because I took the survey. So what if I did not receive a personal invitation. I wanted to participate and e-mailed them. They asked for my MobileRead screen name and apparently felt that I had something to add to their survey. They did not have to pick me, I did not hold a gun to their head.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Jon, are you implying that I am a criminal just because I took the survey. So what if I did not receive a personal invitation. I wanted to participate and e-mailed them. They asked for my MobileRead screen name and apparently felt that I had something to add to their survey. They did not have to pick me, I did not hold a gun to their head.
Nope.. I'm saying people who used the holiday gift code are crooks.

If anyone who did get the invite cannot take the survey because it's full due to people taking who did not get the invite, then that's just wrong. But it is a similar issue to posting the holiday gift code. Not the same result of course. Using the holidy gift code made people theives. People taking the survey without being invited or knowing if you are taking a slot from someone who was invited is also wrong. Just not illegal.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
Nope.. I'm saying people who used the holiday gift code are crooks.

If anyone who did get the invite cannot take the survey because it's full due to people taking who did not get the invite, then that's just wrong. But it is a similar issue to posting the holiday gift code. Not the same result of course. Using the holidy gift code made people theives. People taking the survey without being invited or knowing if you are taking a slot from someone who was invited is also wrong. Just not illegal.
Can you offer some proof that I took someone else's slot?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Can you offer some proof that I took someone else's slot?
Not at present. Can you offer proof you did not?

The real problem is someone posting a private offer to the public such that it's possible for people who should be getting in on the offer cannot because too many people got in on the offer who should not have. That's what really needs to stop. If you see an offer that you know is not for you, don't take it. That would be the moral thing to do.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #11
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I don't mind people using my "slot". But i think there will be surplus slots available because the people whom McKinsey messaged may not all take on the survey anyways. That being said, $75 is quite an amount, and I also think someone really big is coming into the eink scene.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
Not at present. Can you offer proof you did not?

The real problem is someone posting a private offer to the public such that it's possible for people who should be getting in on the offer cannot because too many people got in on the offer who should not have. That's what really needs to stop. If you see an offer that you know is not for you, don't take it. That would be the moral thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirits View Post
I just realized not all of you received the email. umm... Hope I didn't destroy their survey by giving access to their email to everyone and not the selected users. I'll edit out the email if McKinsey group wants me to.
Well the e-mail is still listed under Spirits original post. So it appears to me that the McKinsey group has no problems with the e-mail being published.

Also you brought up the charge that I may have took someone else's slot. You should prove that I did. I do not have to prove that I did not. Since you are a moderator on this site I am unable to block your posts. I have asked another moderator if it would be possible for me to block you. I am tired of reading your often unintelligible drivel. Hopefully he can help me.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Here are some great news for an extra slot, and another reason why Canada suck

"We are currently focusing our research on US consumers. We will circle back if we expand the scope.

Best regards,

McKinsey eBook Research Team "

I've always known Canada suck, but didn't know the extent until I read this e-mail

btw, I'd want the privilage to block JSWolf also after he "messed" with my post. I'm just using the same word as you've used on Nate.

Last edited by spirits; 03-10-2008 at 03:04 AM.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Sorry but subject/verb ordinal issues really bug me.

What you mean to say is "Canada Sucks".

Unless of course, if Canada stopped sucking, then you would say "I have always known that Canada Sucked". But, since Canada shows no signs of giving up sucking, we should probably go with "I have always known Canada sucks."

I think the only time you could put the words "Canada" and "suck" together is if it were proceeded by a interrogative type clause in order to form a question such as "What does Canada suck?"

Last edited by jacksonunit; 03-10-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: massive stupidity
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
All this aside... I'm curious who is backing the survey.

It's likely Amazon, I'd guess... but if Apple is planing on producing a microPC or tablet, I could see them looking into this to add an ebook functionality into the device.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote