Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
applewine
Enthusiast
applewine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Lightbulb How Social Networking and E-Books Combine

Imagine reading a book on an e-reader device like the kindle, and you come across a particularly important phrase. You select the text and click "tweet" and your twitter account includes a small quote and a reference to the book you are reading.

Imagine a whole virtual space being created on top of the individual book experience where readers talk and have conversations about what they are reading with other readers of the same book.

What about all your notes and comments on an e-book. These could be valuable information to share with other readers for the first time or offer your views to veteran readers. You swap and share the meta-data and from a list of other users who have read the book. This adds a new level of value to the dynamic life of the e-book.

Features like these could change books forever. Turning them into a live intellectual network of thoughts growing on a foundation of knowledge and well refined information structure (the book).

Truly the benefits of hooking books up to the Internet goes much beyond easy access to download the book for quick delivery. Books have the potential to become direct springboards for a new level of quick and targeted intellectual networking. It would also be great promotion to sell more e-book copies to join the discussion and benefit from other user-added value ideas. Hint.
applewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Imagine reading a book on an e-reader device like the kindle, and you come across a particularly important phrase. You select the text and click "tweet" and your twitter account includes a small quote and a reference to the book you are reading.
I don't have to imagine it... I already do it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't have to imagine it... I already do it.

OP you can do this on the latest gen Kindle with both Twitter and Facebook ? Am I missing something like a joke (sometimes they get lost on me) or you simply don't realise.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

As I understand it he envisions that somehow the tweets also feed into the book, so that you can have the tweets and discussions on the Kindle while reading the book.
And seeing what others have marked in a book only works for amazon's books, so maybe he hasn't seen that feature.

And personally I don't like the tweet function on the Kindle at all!
I want people to see the quote (as long as possible) and a short link to the full quote with book and my comment. But instead I get some tweet that looks like I've been hacked. Looks horrible!
Hope they change this or make it customizable in the future (or even a hack that allows me to change the format).
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
But instead I get some tweet that looks like I've been hacked. Looks horrible!
Not sure I follow you? The note you type is the content of the tweet - with a link to the passage you highlighted. I can understand wanting the actual quote to be the tweet, but how does a short note with a link look (in any way) like "you've been hacked"?

Let's be honest here; the best you're ever going to get with Twitter is a bit of gibberish with a link.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
RexGalore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Not sure I follow you? The note you type is the content of the tweet - with a link to the passage you highlighted. I can understand wanting the actual quote to be the tweet, but how does a short note with a link look (in any way) like "you've been hacked"?

Let's be honest here; the best you're ever going to get with Twitter is a bit of gibberish with a link.
Maybe I didn't have a note attached, because when I tried it it was just an amazon-link with the hashtag for Kindle appended at the end. "http://kindle.amazon.com/post/XXXXXXXXXX #Kindle"

So people who knows about Kindle might understand that it's related to a book. Others will have no idea that it has to do with a quote but will think that it looks more like a an advertisement link for Amazon.

It would be so much nicer to actually have the important part (the quote) so people could see it immediately and also maybe they could have used a link shortener...
Old 12-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Turning them into a live intellectual network of thoughts growing on a foundation of knowledge and well refined information structure (the book).
Maybe we can all grow antennae for efficiency. I still believe in the importance of the personal experience, and reading is one. It may be the only one left. Bein' a bit snarky for fun, but honestly my reading experience (especially fiction), is one thing I'd prefer unabsorbed by the social network.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
MaudDib
MaudDib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I very much would like quotes to be the message in Twitter or Facebook. It seems odd that Amazon doesn't have it set up this way. The whole point of a Twitter and part of Facebook is the quick message. Yes you can link to other things, but the one line message is what has made it so popular.

As to the original OP's comments, I think it could be interesting. I am not sure I would like it, as it might ruin my flow of reading. But it could be interesting to see other peoples thoughts and opinions while reading a book. I do something like this with friends and family where we read a book at the same time and then trade emails or something during that time. Right now I have no idea how to execute something so big but someday I am sure someone will have a good way to do it.

Actually, does Twitter have some of this capability? I watch different sporting events and will have Tweetdeck up and running. It will update a column for #Mizzou during the football game. Can make a game a lot of fun. I wonder if you could start something like that for each book. Something to think about anyway.
MaudDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I don't use Twitter but I know that there is a very limited word character limit which restricts you to a short line of text - so unfortunately Amazon have to work in these confines.

Facebook is different. I suppose there might be a limit on the number of words you can post in one update but I haven't had that issue yet with sending highlights and notes from the Kindle.

Here is a snapshot from Facebook for reference attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook-kindle.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	62936  
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
RexGalore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I don't use Twitter but I know that there is a very limited word character limit which restricts you to a short line of text - so unfortunately Amazon have to work in these confines.

Facebook is different. I suppose there might be a limit on the number of words you can post in one update but I haven't had that issue yet with sending highlights and notes from the Kindle.

Here is a snapshot from Facebook for reference attached:
True, on Twitter you only have 140 characters per message. But it wouldn't be hard for Amazon to make it so that the as much as a possible of the quote is seen then followed by a short link (bit.ly, tinyurl, etc). They would know how long the link is (~25 characters) and could then adjust the quote. Not hard to do.

And I'd rather see my tweets like:
"It was the best of time, it was the worst of... www.shortlink.com/whatever"

That creates an interest. A link that says Amazon looks like advertisement...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But it wouldn't be hard for Amazon to make it so that the as much as a possible of the quote is seen then followed by a short link (bit.ly, tinyurl, etc).
Hopefully they will make that adjustment for you, seems like a fairly simple request.
When I post to twitter, they are using a shortened link, of the format amzn [dot] com /{random number}. They don't work that way for you?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
RexGalore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hopefully they will make that adjustment for you, seems like a fairly simple request.
When I post to twitter, they are using a shortened link, of the format amzn [dot] com /{random number}. They don't work that way for you?
Maybe they changed it... I tried on software 3.0.2 and got "http://kindle.amazon.com/post/XXXXXXXXXX #Kindle". Which, as I said, in my opinion looks more like advertisement than an interesting quote.

You don't have an example of how yours look?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You don't have an example of how yours look?
"http://amzn.com/k/XXXXXXXXXX #Kindle"

I'm not sure you'll ever be able to convince them to use tinyurl or bit.ly, though.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
RexGalore
Connoisseur

Quote:
"http://amzn.com/k/XXXXXXXXXX #Kindle"

I'm not sure you'll ever be able to convince them to use tinyurl or bit.ly, though.
Don't mind if they use amzn.com, but instead of just the link and the Kindle hashtag they could have had the quote (or part of) before.

"bla, bla, bla... http://amzn.com/k/XXXXXXXXXX"
or
"bla, bla, bla... http://amzn.com/k/XXXXXXXXXX #Kindle"

As I said, people that don't use the kindle will most likely not understand what it's about. And thus might not even click on the link.

Tags
comments, highlighting, social networking, twitter