Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Olivetree Bible Reader on a 7in slate

Has anyone (or could someone) loaded Olivetree's Bible Reader for Android onto a 7 inch android slate, such as the Archos or Velocity Cruz?

I would be dead interested to see if it will fill the whole screen and how responsive it is.

I have an iTouch for Bible reading, but at 3.5inches, the screen could be bigger. I also have a Kindle, but without a touchscreen, navigation is poor.

So, does a slate work. I am thinking Olivetree since they have such a widerange of materials, protestant, catholic, hebrew, greek, that I do not see elsewhere (and apart from that I have already bought these products).

If anyone would be willing to make the attempt to load up OliveTree and post some pictures, I would be grateful (my birthday in a few days, and I am sure I can swing $250-ish from the wife for such a dear and helpful husband).

PS: How does the Kindle app work on a 7inch screen - this might be an alternative to Olivetree?

Many thanks,

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'll try this for you tonight or over the weekend on my PocketBook IQ. I have heard the Kindle app works great on a 7" screen like the IQ. I don't know because I haven't used it personally.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
I'll try this for you tonight or over the weekend on my PocketBook IQ. I have heard the Kindle app works great on a 7" screen like the IQ. I don't know because I haven't used it personally.
That will be a great help. SCION tried it on a jailbroken NookColor. The app loaded but looks as if she could not then get any of the Bible files to work/load. Perhaps the openers of the IQ will do it. Thanks for your help. I will wait before I purchase something until your experiment.

Very grateful, Hal.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I use it on my iPad, and it is perfect. I tried bunches of electronic Bibles on different devices over the past few years, but they were never very good. Olive Tree for iPad is easy to navigate, fast, big font, and very user friendly. I hope for you that the Android version works just as well.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Well, I got the app installed on my IQ just fine. The app launches just fine, but I can't find the King James Bible that was supposed to be included with the Olivetree Bible Reader. Weird.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Prince Hal
Zealot

Thanks

Quote:
Well, I got the app installed on my IQ just fine. The app launches just fine, but I can't find the King James Bible that was supposed to be included with the Olivetree Bible Reader. Weird.
Thanks for trying that. It must be loading the KJV into a folder that it then doesn't recognise. Mmm... What do you think? A hopeless cause? This would have been perfect if it had worked.

I have written to CadreBible to see if they will be producing the Bible that I use for their program. It works on an Archos 70 - just doesn't have my Bible for it.

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciate.

Hal.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Thanks for trying that. It must be loading the KJV into a folder that it then doesn't recognise. Mmm... What do you think? A hopeless cause? This would have been perfect if it had worked.
The iPad version of the OliveTree app has a facility for importing content from your OliveTree account. Does the Android version also have that capability? If so, that might be a way of getting your Bibles into it

Last edited by HarryT; 12-05-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
wheatfree
wheatfree doesn't litterwheatfree doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel
OliveTree on Pandigital Novel

I loaded the free KJV version on my Novel. It ran fine. Loaded straight to Genesis 1:1.

I'm running a custom firmware on my Novel, so I checked to see where it loaded the files. It created a folder at sdcard/OliveTree to store the Bible files. On my Novel, the sdcard is the internal card, not the external card.

The default font is pretty tiny on the 7" screen. I had to go into settings and raise the font size. Other than that, it loads and works fine, so far.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Prince Hal
Zealot

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfree View Post
I loaded the free KJV version on my Novel. It ran fine. Loaded straight to Genesis 1:1.

I'm running a custom firmware on my Novel, so I checked to see where it loaded the files. It created a folder at sdcard/OliveTree to store the Bible files. On my Novel, the sdcard is the internal card, not the external card.

The default font is pretty tiny on the 7" screen. I had to go into settings and raise the font size. Other than that, it loads and works fine, so far.
Aren't these forums great! I do not know personally any of you but you have been so willing to take time to help me.

Now I have another option

Hal.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post

I have written to CadreBible to see if they will be producing the Bible that I use for their program. It works on an Archos 70 - just doesn't have my Bible for it.

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciate.

Hal.
You're welcome, it's no trouble at all.I looked through the file system to see if it created a folder on my IQ. I could find nothing related to Olivetree. I couldn't even find the KJV Bible. Maybe with further firmware updates on my IQ I could get Olivetree working. I don't know. However, it does appear to be able to connect to the online Olivetree Bookshelf. I'm not sure what that is, but it might work the way HarryT mentioned.

The IQ is currently running Android 2.0 which might be causing the issue. I wish I knew.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You're welcome, it's no trouble at all.I looked through the file system to see if it created a folder on my IQ. I could find nothing related to Olivetree. I couldn't even find the KJV Bible. Maybe with further firmware updates on my IQ I could get Olivetree working. I don't know. However, it does appear to be able to connect to the online Olivetree Bookshelf. I'm not sure what that is, but it might work the way HarryT mentioned.
The Olivetree bookshelf is a "bookshelf" of all your Bibles (and other stuff) on the Olivetree website. It can include both paid-for and free items. All you have to do in the iPad app is give it your login credentials for the Olivetree website and it presents you with a list of all the items you've got on your bookshelf at Olivetree, with a button alongside each one to transfer it to the iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Is there a set of Bible atlases for android from Olive tree? I've been looking for such to use on my Streak.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Is there a set of Bible atlases for android from Olive tree? I've been looking for such to use on my Streak.
http://www.olivetree.com/store/produ...roductid=17417

http://www.olivetree.com/store/produ...roductid=17453

There are samples located within "Free Items".
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Thank you Scion.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Good news! With the new v2.0.3 firmware on the IQ, OliveTree now works! I just tried it tonight and it works pretty well. It's slow when scrolling through the Bible vertically, but if you want to go directly to a Book, Chapter, and Verse, things go a lot more smoothly. Hal, take a serious look at the IQ again.

Last edited by speedtouch; 12-10-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Corrected some bad spelling

Tags
android 7" tablet, bible, olivetree