Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #46
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Reacher showered several times. At least twice alone, three times with Roscoe, and he washed his face in the prison shower room before the Aryan White Brotherhood white trash prison gang interrupted. He wasn't such a dirty guy!
Very well then! I stand corrected!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #47
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I enjoyed the book, but you know what I found really, really odd? The guy never took a shower.
Reacher was in Margrave for 8 days and the book mentions that he took 6 showers during that time (7 if you count the 14 miles he walked in a hard rain on his way to Margrave).
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #48
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Yeah but he didn't have a change of clothes.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Reacher was in Margrave for 8 days and the book mentions that he took 6 showers during that time (7 if you count the 14 miles he walked in a hard rain on his way to Margrave).
Very well then! I stand corrected!

(Although I did say 'at least.' )

I don't remember him using the bathroom, though. That's a long time to hold it!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #50
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I contend he needed at LEAST one more to make it realistic and keep from smelling funny.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I contend he needed at LEAST one more to make it realistic and keep from smelling funny.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #52
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
I bought the first four Reacher books without reading any first.

I've now read three of them. They're OKAY, but as I've seen others comment, they're not the most realistic I've read.

To me, Reacher is a bit too tough, for me, unrealistic. The books are readable, but not good enough for me to recommend. I've read a lot better series.

Like Harlan Coben, Connelly and several others much more.
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #53
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Yeah but he didn't have a change of clothes.
Reacher changed his clothes at least twice:

Near the end of Chapter 16:
"Made the right onto Main Street and cruised along. I was peering left and right in under the smart striped awnings, looking for the clothes store. Found it three doors north of the barbershop. Left the Bentley on the street and went in. Paid out some of Charlie Hubble’s expenses cash to a sullen middle-aged guy for a pair of pants, a shirt and a jacket. A light fawn color, pressed cotton, as near to formal as I was prepared to go. No tie. I put it all on in the changing cubicle in the back of the store. Bagged up the old stuff and threw it in the Bentley’s trunk as I passed."

Second to last paragraph of Chapter 34:
"I walked into the depot. Bought a ticket. Then I crossed the street to a cheap store and bought new clothes. Changed in their cubicle, left the filthy old fatigues in their garbage can."
Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #54
yekim54
What the Dog Saw

Quote:
Well, there is one more if you count the incident where Reacher gets drenched while killing the Kliner kid in Hubble's pool.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I still don't remember him ever making a trip to the can.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #56
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Nobody EVER uses the can, in books or movies or TV shows. Just bear that in mind!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #57
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Reacher changed his clothes at least twice:

Near the end of Chapter 16:
"Made the right onto Main Street and cruised along. I was peering left and right in under the smart striped awnings, looking for the clothes store. Found it three doors north of the barbershop. Left the Bentley on the street and went in. Paid out some of Charlie Hubble’s expenses cash to a sullen middle-aged guy for a pair of pants, a shirt and a jacket. A light fawn color, pressed cotton, as near to formal as I was prepared to go. No tie. I put it all on in the changing cubicle in the back of the store. Bagged up the old stuff and threw it in the Bentley’s trunk as I passed."

Second to last paragraph of Chapter 34:
"I walked into the depot. Bought a ticket. Then I crossed the street to a cheap store and bought new clothes. Changed in their cubicle, left the filthy old fatigues in their garbage can."
See, he changed out of filthy clothes and didn't shower.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #58
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Well, there is one more if you count the incident where Reacher gets drenched while killing the Kliner kid in Hubble's pool.
Nope, doesn't count. Plain water is better than nothing, but in high humidity, lots of walking, being in prison--I'm thinking the more soap the better!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK, the book did have some plot holes in it. But, not telling us when he took his SSS was not one of them. I recently read Pride & Prejudice and they never once took a shower or went to the bath room. They must have smelled to high heaven.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 AM   #60
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Surely Authors don't have to write a sentence everytime their hero showers... What if the hero had OCD...??? the whole book will be about showers...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote