Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #31
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This may be an Android Market issue, there isn't currently an Android tablet app store and a device may have to include 3G to be allowed access to the Market.
Remove the “may”s from the sentence and it becomes correct.

And I do not suggest to buy a device without marketplace access. All the in-depended Android Apps shops are tiny compared to Android-Marketplace. And that might not change as the conditions offered to the developers are just bad and there sales are minute.

I know what I am talking about as I have two applications for sale. In retrospect all shops apart from Android Market sell so badly that they do not even recoup the time needed registering a developers account filling in the upload forms.

So don't fall for the 3rd party shop offer excuse from the hardware manufactures and do yourself a favour and only get a device with Marketplace access.

Martin

PS: Note that all shops have different rules on size of marketing text, size of screen shots, allowed HTML to pep up marketing text, etc pp.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:27 AM   #32
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Archos' and Velocity Micro's
Archos has no MarketPlace access and resistive touch screen is a no go for a multi touch OS.

Martin

PS: Yes it is possible to build multi touch resistive touch screens. But that is special hardware and not the usual off the shelf variety.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #33
krischik
Addict

Just to make my point a little clearer, a few important 3rd party Android Shops:

https://slideme.org: No Kindle, No Nook, No Kobo
http://www.handango.com: No Kindle, No Nook, No Kobo
http://andappstore.com: No Kindle, No Nook, No Kobo
http://appslib.com: No Kindle, No Nook, No Kobo

Especially the last one is interesting as it is shop run by Archos. So yes the Archos is cheaper but what are you going to do with it?

Last edited by krischik; 09-17-2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: URL parser is not all that intelligent.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #34
TomeRaider
Enthusiast
TomeRaider began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy, Sony PRS505, PB 302, PB 360
The 400 euro question is (price diff between the expected price of the samsung galaxy and the pretty much equivalent archos 70 aside from the 3G and hence android marketplace): what does it take to install android marketplace on the Archos?
I've seen some threads saying that this has been added on some other Archos models but dont know what it would take. I for one don't need another 3g device + contract (my galaxy S is fine) and I dont want to pay 400 euros just for marketplace access either
TomeRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #35
krischik
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomeRaider View Post
what does it take to install android marketplace on the Archos?
Installing the Software is not the problem. But you would have the fake your device id as well otherwise the Android-Marketplace server won't talk with your device.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #36
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Just to make my point a little clearer, a few important 3rd party Android Shops:

https://slideme.org: No Kindle, No Nook, No Kobo
http://www.handango.com: No Kindle, No Nook, No Kobo
http://andappstore.com: No Kindle, No Nook, No Kobo
http://appslib.com: No Kindle, No Nook, No Kobo

Especially the last one is interesting as it is shop run by Archos. So yes the Archos is cheaper but what are you going to do with it?
I was watching a video not to long ago and the Kindle app was already installed. Not sure if that'll make the final cut though. But just being able to to do stuff is enough. Might not work for my mom who needs her hand held in matters of technology, but if I wanted to be babied I'd have a Ipad.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #37
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I was watching a video not to long ago and the Kindle app was already installed. Not sure if that'll make the final cut though. But just being able to to do stuff is enough. Might not work for my mom who needs her hand held in matters of technology, but if I wanted to be babied I'd have a Ipad.
Sometimes it's good to just have something working, though....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #38
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Sometimes it's good to just have something working, though....
This I can agree with. I have love hate feelings towards closed systems. At the moment financially, it's hate. Comes in handy too. My book group just started reading The Windup Girl; Alas, not on Kindle. But with a little help from Inkmesh I was able to fine a epub for it.

Things that are supposed to just work have their own issues.

Last edited by Xerxes; 09-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
This I can agree with. I have love hate feelings towards closed systems. At the moment financially, it's hate. Comes in handy too. My book group just started reading The Windup Girl; Alas, not on Kindle. But with a little help from Inkmesh I was able to fine a epub for it.

Things that are supposed to just work have their own issues.

That's supposed to be a great story (and great writer) from reports. It's on my to-read list.

Baen:
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/windup-gir...olo+Bacigalupi

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Windup-Gir...tag=inkmesh-20

Last edited by kennyc; 09-17-2010 at 07:14 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #40
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's supposed to be a great story (and great writer) from reports. It's on my to-read list.

Baen:
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/windup-gir...olo+Bacigalupi

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Windup-Gir...tag=inkmesh-20
That's probably cause my cohorts clicked the "I’d like to read this book on Kindle " link.

It is a pretty good book so far. I still have 20 chapters to go.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #41
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Samsung Galaxy Tab will be running Android OS 2.2 in the initial release AND have fully sanctioned on device access to the Android apps market. I believe one of the reasons it passes ahead of 3.0 is that this device can operate as a phone.

Is there word if it runs HSPA+ 7.2 or 21 mbps like some of the data sticks?

Rogers has confirmed (in a note in the Globe and Mail) that the tablet will be sold in Canada "this fall" ... but, of course, no pricing yet. I'd be interested in one, at the right price, and where I could run it in wifi mode most of the time.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #42
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The Samsung Galaxy Tab will be running Android OS 2.2 in the initial release AND have fully sanctioned on device access to the Android apps market.
Froyo on the Galaxy Tab? Run with Care
http://www.pcworld.com/printable/art...printable.html
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #43
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The Samsung Galaxy Tab will be running Android OS 2.2 in the initial release AND have fully sanctioned on device access to the Android apps market. I believe one of the reasons it passes ahead of 3.0 is that this device can operate as a phone. ....
The Galaxy Tab will NOT be running as a phone in the US: Samsung yanked out this option on all four carriers.

So far, this thing looks like a total loser to me. No voice means no Market, and it has a smaller, regular TFT, which is inferior to the IPS screen on the iPad.

Samsung also has crappy record with upgrades, so I wouldn't bet $600 that this will be upgraded to Gingerbread. Heck, they can't even get 2.2 out for the Galaxy S
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:37 AM   #44
krischik
Addict

Quote:
Samsung yanked out this option on all four carriers.
the US mobile market must be a very special beast. I hear nothing good about it.

Martin
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #45
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
No voice means no Market
Not really. All it needs is a cellular data connection, with the corresponding hardware identification codes, to qualify for market access. The article that I posted earlier seems to imply that they have negotiated Android Market access, even though the oddball screen size is going to be an issue. If anyone really wants voice with it, they could possibly try VOIP?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote