Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2016, 02:47 AM   #46
enigmedark
enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.enigmedark once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Touch 2.0
Wink Hello! Solution here:

Hello to everyone, i found a real solution to this problem, but if you follow this steps you are going to lose all files on your e-reader, so if you donīt have a backup of your books, donīt do this. Donīt need open your kobo all is for software.

First of nothing, i donīt very good with english (i speak spanish), so please donīt kill me for my redaction.

I discover this steps for myself, triying and triying.

1.Download this program and install
http://www.minitool.com/partition-ma...zard-home.html
Itīs a free version.

2.Conect your Kobo to your computer and open the program.

3.You are going to see all disks and devices on your computer, select your kobo (You can see the size to be sure).

4.Right click and select "Format". In the options put a name (or not) and change File system to FAT32 (Donīt select any other!). After that, click on Apply (on top-left).

5.Wait a little. When the process finish your computer now can recognize the device, but donīt move any file yet!

6. Disconect your kobo and turned off.

7. Turned on, you are going to see the first configuration, configure your device (Wifi, time, account...)

8. Thats all! now you have your device like new, you can add your books from computer without problems.

NOTE: If you do a Factory Reset in the future, you need to do this steps again, beacause Kobo devices reformatted the internal storage and for that reason the computer donīt recognize.

Well, thats all, if you see other people with same problem, please share this solution.
enigmedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:12 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmedark View Post
Hello to everyone, i found a real solution to this problem, but if you follow this steps you are going to lose all files on your e-reader, so if you donīt have a backup of your books, donīt do this. Donīt need open your kobo all is for software.

First of nothing, i donīt very good with english (i speak spanish), so please donīt kill me for my redaction.

I discover this steps for myself, triying and triying.

1.Download this program and install
http://www.minitool.com/partition-ma...zard-home.html
Itīs a free version.

2.Conect your Kobo to your computer and open the program.

3.You are going to see all disks and devices on your computer, select your kobo (You can see the size to be sure).

4.Right click and select "Format". In the options put a name (or not) and change File system to FAT32 (Donīt select any other!). After that, click on Apply (on top-left).

5.Wait a little. When the process finish your computer now can recognize the device, but donīt move any file yet!

6. Disconect your kobo and turned off.

7. Turned on, you are going to see the first configuration, configure your device (Wifi, time, account...)

8. Thats all! now you have your device like new, you can add your books from computer without problems.

NOTE: If you do a Factory Reset in the future, you need to do this steps again, beacause Kobo devices reformatted the internal storage and for that reason the computer donīt recognize.

Well, thats all, if you see other people with same problem, please share this solution.
Yes, as Windows 10AU is asking to format the drive, that should work. Though, I would have thought just letting Windows do the format, so long as it is FAT32, would work.

It begs the question of why it has started failing in the first place. The factory reset formats the user partition with:

Code:
mkfs.vfat -n KOBOeReader /dev/mmcblk0p3 && sync && sync
Unless the version of mkdosfs on the recoveryfs partition is producing an invalid partition, this should be OK. And of course, why has the Windows FAT32 driver only just decided it was a problem?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:42 AM   #48
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And of course, why has the Windows FAT32 driver only just decided it was a problem?
The issue of Windows wanting to format Kobos popped up before. I thought it was due to pickel should-factory-reset messing with the first sector of this partition

Code:
# strace /usr/local/Kobo/pickel should-factory-reset
open("/dev/mmcblk0p3", O_RDWR)          = 3
read(3, "\353X\220MSWIN4.1\0\2\10\6\0\2\0\0\0\0\370\0\0>\0i\0\0\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
lseek(3, 0, SEEK_SET)                   = 0
write(3, "\353X\220MSWIN4.1\0\2\10\6\0\2\0\0\0\0\370\0\0>\0i\0\0\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
close(3)                                = 0
It changes bytes 490-494 not sure how significant those are for FAT32.

But I thought the Windows detection problem was different and also affected some other devices. Oh well, if formatting really solves it, that's fine too.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 AM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The issue of Windows wanting to format Kobos popped up before. I thought it was due to pickel should-factory-reset messing with the first sector of this partition

Code:
# strace /usr/local/Kobo/pickel should-factory-reset
open("/dev/mmcblk0p3", O_RDWR)          = 3
read(3, "\353X\220MSWIN4.1\0\2\10\6\0\2\0\0\0\0\370\0\0>\0i\0\0\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
lseek(3, 0, SEEK_SET)                   = 0
write(3, "\353X\220MSWIN4.1\0\2\10\6\0\2\0\0\0\0\370\0\0>\0i\0\0\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
close(3)                                = 0
It changes bytes 490-494 not sure how significant those are for FAT32.
Do you know what it is writing there? If I remember correctly, "pickel should-factory-reset" is checking for failed boot-to-nickel. If this fails four or five times, you get prompted to do a factory reset. pickel should be checking something that nickel sets if it starts successfully. I've always assumed that nickel sets it to zero and pickel reads and increments it each time. But, accessing it like that is pretty crude. If they were writing somewhere that wasn't previously used, then that might explain what's happening.
Quote:
But I thought the Windows detection problem was different and also affected some other devices. Oh well, if formatting really solves it, that's fine too.
I think it's changed from the preview. When I tested on an old laptop, Windows 10AU wanted me to format the Kobo device. Calibre actually found the device but complained it couldn't access the database.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:21 AM   #50
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you know what it is writing there?
Difference between two calls:

Code:
# cmp -l /tmp/[ab]
490 241  67
491 216 276
492  14  13
493  74 113
494   2   3
I assume 2->3 is the counter increment (factory reset once it reaches 5 or so). Not sure about what the other bytes do.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:34 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given the above steps to get your Kobo to work with Win 10AU, after step 5, would it not work to restore the backup you made before installing the AU? Then you have al your books, annotations, bookmarks, etc.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Difference between two calls:

Code:
# cmp -l /tmp/[ab]
490 241  67
491 216 276
492  14  13
493  74 113
494   2   3
I assume 2->3 is the counter increment (factory reset once it reaches 5 or so). Not sure about what the other bytes do.
That's a reasonable assumption. I wonder what the rest is. A timestamp would be the obvious thing to write, but I can't think of how to decipher it.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given the above steps to get your Kobo to work with Win 10AU, after step 5, would it not work to restore the backup you made before installing the AU? Then you have al your books, annotations, bookmarks, etc.
But to do that, you have to do the backup before the upgrade. And as most users won't have had a reason to do that, it isn't going to help many people.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone else reformatted a Kobo and had it wok with the Win 10AU?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #55
sdel95
sdel95 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Thank you enigmedark

Hello everyone
Thank you so much enigmedark. Reformatting Kobo eReader with minitools partition wizard worked for me. I could reinitialize my reader properly and access the directory as before.
sdel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #56
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
And does the Kobo Desktop application, and Calibre, now recognize your Kobo, so that you can sideload? Or is it simply that Windows sees it properly now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdel95 View Post
Hello everyone
Thank you so much enigmedark. Reformatting Kobo eReader with minitools partition wizard worked for me. I could reinitialize my reader properly and access the directory as before.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
And does the Kobo Desktop application, and Calibre, now recognize your Kobo, so that you can sideload? Or is it simply that Windows sees it properly now.
If Windows sees the Kobo properly and Calibre does not, you just follow the directions to report what Windows does see so Kovid can fix it in Calibre. Problem solved.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anyone else reformatted a Kobo and had it wok with the Win 10AU?
I tried that a few builds back. I used Disk Management to create a partition in what it was seeing as unallocated space and formatted it as FAT32. Windows then saw the partition but wanted to format it again. After the second format, I restored the directories/files I'd backed up. This worked for about 2 weeks and then crapped out again. I haven't tried it with the Anniversary release to see if it continues working.

I was also looking at the discussion about bytes in the first sector of the drive changing. As near as I remember the layout of the MBR, the bytes being modified are the last 4 bytes of the 3rd partition entry and the first byte of the 4th partition entry. The last 4 bytes are, AFAIR, the number of sectors in the partition while the first byte is the status of the partition so we are mucking with the size of the third partition and the type of the 4th. Makes me wonder if Microsoft is now doing more error checking and seeing that modified MBR as being invalid.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-05-2016 at 03:19 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #59
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was also looking at the discussion about bytes in the first sector of the drive changing.
What the Kobo exports is already the partition so the PC doesn't see a partition table, just the partition itself that has the filesystem on it, and the modified bytes are the first sector of that.

Since most USB devices are partitioned after all, I wanted to change it so it would export with a partition table (with one partition pointing at the FAT32 partition) and see if that helped somehow. But so far noone volunteered for the experiment.

Ah, maybe I should install Windows 10 in a VM somehow and see if I can test it myself after all. Then again I don't care quite THAT much about windows problems

* If you're using Windows to format the Kobo, you must be careful not to create a partition along with it as the device is not supposed to have partitions. Filesystem must be directly on the device itself, no indirections. If you do it wrong the Kobo will factory-reset the hell out of it.

Last edited by frostschutz; 08-05-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If I had access to a Win 10AU, I could give my H2O a format and use for a while and then see if Win 10AU still properly sees it.