Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
HRR
Enthusiast
HRR began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air & iPad Pro
bug - catalog window problem

I just installed Calibre version 3.11.1, and then tried to create a catalog of my books, as I do once a month. In the new version, the catalog creation window is too big and I am not able to resize it. Trying to resize it doesn't work, the window disappears, and the program freezes. Help please, anyone.
HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What OS is this? ANd what format are you creating the catalog in? Resizing the window works fine on my machine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
HRR
Enthusiast

My operating system is Windows 10 Pro, with all the latest updates. The default is format for catalog creation is mobi. I don't recall setting that, but it is what I want anyway.

A little more detail. In the main Catalog options page, attempts to resize the window just do nothing. If I switch to the E-book options page and try to do it, instead of nothing, or resizing, the Generating catalog window disappears entirely and the app freezes.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Strange. I can resize the window freely on my win10 machine with calibre 3.11.1, with either tab open. ANybody else experiencing this?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Strange. I can resize the window freely on my win10 machine with calibre 3.11.1, with either tab open. ANybody else experiencing this?
Just tested.
Switched to Mobi: Applied: Test resize: good
Changed to Options tab. Resized: good

W10 pro x64 V3.11.1
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
works fine for me too.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
HRR
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the checking. So I am guessing it is an install glitch. Should I uninstall and reinstall? If so, how do I make sure I don't lose any data? Will I lose all settings within Calibre, or is there a way to save them?
Old 11-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRR View Post
Thanks for all the checking. So I am guessing it is an install glitch. Should I uninstall and reinstall? If so, how do I make sure I don't lose any data? Will I lose all settings within Calibre, or is there a way to save them?
Unistalls leave USER settings and libraries.

Do read the FAQ (copy/move/backup) for more info
But you are good to go, just grab a fresh download for the re-install
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
HRR
Enthusiast

A little more info. I just checked various other preferences windows and every one I tried is readily resizable. It is only the Generate catalog windows that don't resize or freeze the app entirely. I also just tried a repair install. No change.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
HRR
Enthusiast

OK, here goes with uninstall/fresh install. I will report back.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
HRR
Enthusiast

Well, full uninstall, including registry, etc. Reboot. Fresh install. Automatically found all my data. Problem is back too, exactly as before. Any thoughts for a next step?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I think I've seen something like that. You can resize the windows only till the minimum size for including all the fields (no vertical or horizontal scroll), so, if according to the font size or the defined fields, it's very big, you cannot reduce it (no configuration window).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@HRR - which edition of calibre - 32bit, 64bit or Portable.

I ask because I've had window size problems with fresh installs of Portable, in my case some dialogue windows were huge (bigger than my 2560 × 1440 monitor with 125% text scaling) but I was able to resize them, and the new size 'stuck' - so no harm done.

Added : I think I might have had to resize one window with nirsoft's GUI Properties Tool because all window edges were beyond the screen edges (e.g. a 3000x2000 window centred)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-03-2017 at 05:40 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Both 64bit and Portable (I cannot test 32bit). They are born with the proper size for showing all the configuration. The problem, in my case, is that there's too much configuration
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
HRR
Enthusiast

Final report for now: Full uninstall and reinstall of version 3.11.1 a second time. Same result. Full uninstall and then install of version 3.11.0. Same result. Full uninstall and then install of version 3.10.0. I haven't checked out everything, but all seems just fine, and the specific bug is gone. Not sure what I may be missing in updates. Hopefully functions not applicable to me. I will try again when the next update is out. Thanks to all.